3d Projector and screen recommendation, large screen 220" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2014, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi guys,

First post:). Building a fairly large home theater. Room is basically done and now it's on to equipment. Looking for recommendations for the 3d projector and screen. Going to do my own frame and looking around 220" size for the screen 16x9. Projector will be mounted in the 21.5' - 22.5' range from the screen.

Open to all recommendations on the equipment, not ultra exotic but not looking for entry level for sure either. Wondering what some of your experiences with large room/screen are and what worked well in this size.

Room is no windows and sealed btw. Let me know if I'm leaving out any pertinent information.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 335
I don't know what type of screen material you are using ( and what the gain is of that material ), but you'll need something bright like the Sony VW600 in my opinion. That is one big screen.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have not purchased the screen material yet. I am assuming I need a high gain screen because of the size and the distance the projector will be from the screen. Any recommendations on the screen is greatly appreciated too. How much gain on the screen do you think will be required?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For something that large, I think you are going to want a dual projector setup with polarizing filters. There is a thread on this forum with all the info you need (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1280393/the-ultimate-3d-projection-system-a-practical-discussion-thread). I think you will have a very hard time lighting up a screen that large in 3D with just a single projector (the VW600 I guess could light a screen that large in 2D, but I doubt it could do 3D at that size). You probably need 2 projectors that put out 2k lumens or more. The screen must retain polarization in such a setup, and these screens usually have higher gain >2 so that will help a bit with brightness.

The nice thing about such a setup is that the glasses are cheap and lightweight and the stereo effect is much easier on the eyes than most other methods. You should be able to get a great setup for under 10K.

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw600es
Gear in this thread