AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Projector/Screen Recomendations (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1514310-projector-screen-recomendations.html)

Steve Young 01-26-2014 04:19 PM

Hi, I have decided to enter the world of projection and have been doing a lot of reading on this lately. There is just so much information and different options available it still leaves me confused. Below is a picture showing my current media room which is our rec room in the basement. It is currently really bright room which is the way it was when we bought this house. My plan is to put in a motorized screen to come down in front of my current Panasonic 65GT50 TV. I was thinking I would like to go with CIH screen because I mainly want this for watching movies. The height of the room is 8' 3" and the width of the wall is 14', and the current seating distance is about 14' from the wall, but with a screen I figured subtract a foot off that. I was looking at either the Panasonic PT-AE8000 or the JVC DLA-X35 projector with an Elunevision 110" Cinescope screen which would basically have it come down between my fronts and stop above my center speakers. The 2 windows on the wall will be blacked out with some sort of window shade, and I plan on painting the walls and ceiling something dark. I also like watching a lot of music concerts which are usually 16:9. I still don't have a firm grasp on how these projectors handle the CIH on a 2.35:1 screen, and if this is right for me. I would appreciate any suggestions to help get me to making my purchase of this equipment.

Thanks for your help
Steve

094.jpg
recroom-1.jpg

pgwalsh 01-27-2014 10:45 AM

Sounds like you have things fairly well figured out except whether you want to go with CIH or not. You may want to call Jason or Mike at AVS, they were extremely helpful when I put in a system in my old house. CIH is a personal choice, one which I prefer.

Steve Young 01-28-2014 06:25 PM

Ok, I'm a bit confused as to what the projector throw distance should be based on what size of 2.35:1 screen I get? When I use the calculator at projector central do I input the screen size (110-120") and mount the projector where it shows me? Also if I will be using the zoom memory to do both 16:9 and 2.35:1 how do you know where to mount the projector so that the zoom will work for both sizes?

Thanks
Steve

AV Science Sales 5 01-29-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Young View Post

Ok, I'm a bit confused as to what the projector throw distance should be based on what size of 2.35:1 screen I get? When I use the calculator at projector central do I input the screen size (110-120") and mount the projector where it shows me? Also if I will be using the zoom memory to do both 16:9 and 2.35:1 how do you know where to mount the projector so that the zoom will work for both sizes?

Thanks
Steve

If using the zoom method and a throw distance calculator. Use the height of the screen and write down the longest throw available for a 16:9 screen. Then use the width of the screen (staying in 16:9) and write down the shortest throw distance available. Those are the two points you have to be in between when mounting the projector. As an example:

100" wide 2.35 screen.
Screen height 42.5" (round down to 42")
Projector Sony HW50ES
Using Projector Central's calculator you get:

Max throw using 42" height of 16:9 image = 13'-1"
Minimum throw for 100" wide 16:9 = 11'-7"

You have to mount the projector with a throw between 11'-7" and 13'-1".

Steve Young 01-29-2014 01:55 PM

Thanks Mike, I think I have it.
So with the JVC DLA-X35 and a 120" diagonal 2.35:1 screen (110" viewable width) the throw range would be;

110" wide 2.35 screen.
Screen height 47"
Projector JVC DLA-X35

Max throw using 47" height of 16:9 image = 19'-6"
Minimum throw for 110" wide 16:9 = 12'-10"

So I have to mount the projector with a throw between 12'-10" and 19'-6"?

Would it be best to mount it in the middle of those measurements or does it matter?

Steve

AV Science Sales 5 01-29-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks Mike, I think I have it.
So with the JVC DLA-X35 and a 120" diagonal 2.35:1 screen (110" viewable width) the throw range would be;

110" wide 2.35 screen.
Screen height 47"
Projector JVC DLA-X35

Max throw using 47" height of 16:9 image = 19'-6"
Minimum throw for 110" wide 16:9 = 12'-10"

So I have to mount the projector with a throw between 12'-10" and 19'-6"?

Would it be best to mount it in the middle of those measurements or does it matter?

Steve

Pretty much correct. smile.gif Now as far as what you pick, it depends on if you need to maximize brightness or contrast. If the screen gain is around 1 or less, I would go to the short end of the range.

Steve Young 01-29-2014 02:30 PM

Yes, I was looking at the EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen - 1.0 Gain
110" or 120' 2.35:1 as this is what a local dealer carries with the JVC. (Are these screens any good?)
Also according the the calculator with the projector mounted at 15' the image brightness at the 110" wide is 24 ftL, and at the 47" high is 34 ftL.
I really have no issues mounting the projector anywhere within the throw range mentioned.
To start my room will be bright as seen in my photo but I plan to darken it out later.

Steve

Steve Young 02-06-2014 03:03 PM

So i found a dual AR screen by Elitescreens called the Peregrine Twin series which has 2 screens in one. I figure the PGD117C94H model would fit best in my room. It has a 117" diag 2.35:1 and 94" 16:9 screens.
Although I have read some posts where their CS wasn't the greatest. Can anyone comment on these screens and their quality and would this be a good idea going with the JVC X35?
Is the calculator specs off on pjcentral for the X35, because it shows the image brightness brighter than the panny 8000? I am inputing the specs above with this pj.

Steve

fierce_gt 02-07-2014 07:29 AM

just my 2cents, but i'd go with a 2.35 format screen with the jvc(though not necessarily saying you should choose the jvc, just that i don't know much about the panny).

with the room dimensions you have, the 16:9 screen wouldn't be much(any?) bigger the 16:9 image you project onto a 2.35:1 screen. so you get no advantage for 16:9 content, and end up with smaller than you want scope movies. the jvc handles CIH pretty well imo, there may be a bit of drift over time, but it's easy to realign, and it's black enough that any dark colored paint on the screen wall will not show the overspill.

as for where you mount the projector, i've heard that there is no compromise. that is, mounting it in the middle only gets you the worst of both worlds. the benefit of improved contrast at the long end tapers down to 'bad' contrast by the time you hit the middle, and the benefit of a brighter image on the short end tapers off to 'dim' by the middle as well. so you're best to decide what you value more(i went for contrast and i found the jvc to be exceptionally bright) and try to get it as close to that end of the range as you can. just be careful, with the jvc it needs to have room to zoom to switch between 16:9 and 2.35:1 if you go CIH. so if you set up for a short throw, use the 2.35:1 setting, and if you go long throw, use 16:9 setting

AV Science Sales 5 02-07-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

So i found a dual AR screen by Elitescreens called the Peregrine Twin series which has 2 screens in one. I figure the PGD117C94H model would fit best in my room. It has a 117" diag 2.35:1 and 94" 16:9 screens.
Although I have read some posts where their CS wasn't the greatest. Can anyone comment on these screens and their quality and would this be a good idea going with the JVC X35?
Is the calculator specs off on pjcentral for the X35, because it shows the image brightness brighter than the panny 8000? I am inputing the specs above with this pj.

Steve

In best image mode, the JVC is a lot brighter than the Panny. The Panny can go brighter in living room (or what ever they call it) and dynamic mode. But the calculator is not very accurate for the X35.