Projector vs. Large TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am in the process of finishing my basement and am trying to figure out if I should go with a projector or a big TV. I have a budget of $3500-4000. This is going to be used to watch TV during all hours of the day. It's where the kids will play etc. It's not a dedicated home theater room. I have a photo below of the layout of my basement. It's an open concept with two windows and a door as you can see. I am worried about the quality of the picture during the day. I'm not going to want to put the shades down if the kids down there playing etc. There will be light. I have never owned or used a projector, so i really don't know what to expect in this day an age. I was thinking about the Benq W1070 if i went with a projector. I'm not sure the best screen for my particular environment. Any input you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 93
What is your ceiling height?
Odd question....is that really enough storage space?

No matter what ambient light = loss of contrast. This is a iron-clad rule front projection unless you go very exotic. Define "how much light" you can tolerate with the PJ on and this then defines how many lumens you need to at least try and dominate the ambient light to bring contrast back to "day time viewing" levels which won't look excessively washed out. Now if you say "all the lights on with the sun shining", I would say get a TV at that point. Reason is you are limited to ~100" 16:0 screen. At that point you can pick up a 80" for under $4k and just remove the frustration all together.

Maybe the risk managed compromise at this point is to at least run the wiring for both a TV and PJ. Then borrow a PJ from somewhere and give it the old college try. This way you can at least try a PJ which should be a fraction of the price of the TV. If the PJ works..you save money. If not, your only money lost is the wiring to it. Another option is to get a "decent" 60" TV for maybe $1000 and then get a pull down screen with the PJ for night time "ooh ahh" viewing.

A few ways to skin this cat for family friendly basement.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
As much as I love to promote the thrill-factor of projection for home-theater, I'll be the first to emphasize that projection really only works as it should in a darkened room.

If your basement will get good light during the day... and I see that you have windows positioned on the back wall behind the viewers when facing your screen, then this would "wash out" any attempt to project an image. In fact, having windows on the back wall facing the screen is the *worst* configuration for natural light to compete with a projection screen as the windows cast light directly onto the screen in the same direction of the projector. some fancy screens can help reject off-axis light as from a window in a side-wall perpendicular to the screen, but nothing will be able to reject light coming at the screen on the same axis of the projected image.

If your goal is really a family-room to be used with the lights on, then a large flat-planel TV would really be the way to go. I'd suggest going as absolutely large as possible... at least 70 inches. The "wow" factor will still be good, and 3D will still be very impressive on a screen this large if you're interested in enjoying 3D (which I strongly recommend especially for family enternainment wtih 3D pixar and Disney films).

Now... here's a thought... and this is not unusual for "multi purpose" family rooms like yours in the basement...

Go with the large flat-screen for the non-stop kid viewing and enjoyment during daylight hours.

Then, if your budget permits (even in the future as an add-on), add a drop-down screen to come down in front of the TV and hang a PJ for serious "movie watching" at night. With a screen 100" or bigger, it will be no-contest.

The real point to this last bit is that you're not locked into just "one" solution. Sure, with your budget you have to be realistic and prudent, and given your overall situation I'd steer you to spend $$ on a nice 3D large-screen flatscreen. However, down the road if you get-bit by the home-theater bug and really want to enjoy movies in their fully glory, there's nothing stopping you from adding on a drop-down screen and a projector for night-time viewing (assuming finances cooperate, of course).

dave smile.gif
Ediddy likes this.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

I appreciate the responses! Ceiling height is just below 8 feet. The whole basement is already framed in, we are happy with the storage space, etc. I'm starting to wire it all this weekend...then sheet rock, flooring, paint, etc. I have a large deck that spans the entire back of my house above where the windows and doors are. There will be no direct sunlight or anything like that, and i'm not opposed to closing blinds and using dimmers at all. We have two kids (one and four) so there will definitely be ceiling lights on (dimmed down a bit so it's not real bright). I'm not trying to emphasize that there will be tons of light, but there will be light...mostly from the canned lighting. I was initially hoping that i could dim down that room a bit and leave other areas of the basement lit separately and have the PJ still look good. I wish i knew someone with a projector so that i could barrow it and try it. Unfortunately, i know nobody with anything like that. It's actually quite dark on that side of the basement during the day because of the deck.. Also the closets have no doors. They are just framed in with shelves. If a screen were to drop down from the ceiling it wouldn't be an issue to have it go in front of the closet. I've personally never seen a PJ setup in person. I really need to go to a home theater store of some sort and look this stuff in real life. Best Buy around here really sucks, they have nothing setup at all. I am absolutely planning on watching 3D movies. I watch a lot of sports as well. My provider is DirecTV, but i would likely play most of my 3D movies via BluRay on a PS4. I plan on wiring both way regardless. I personally want a PJ setup, but i don't want it to be a hassle for my wife/family to use this area while i'm at work. If i tell her "the lights need to be off and the blinds shut if you want to watch TV" that likely won't go over well....haha.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 62
As far as large screens and 3D goes, I think an 80" Vizio M-Series LED is a pretty good value proposition if you end up choosing a TV (that would be the 2013 model, not the 2014 Vizio's, which are 2D only).
Old 01-28-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 154
So I see three, relatively large TVs in there (I mean 40" isn't big, but it's not tiny) so do you really need to/plan on using the "main" display for random things during the day? I mean I'd probably recommend a TV if that was the only display in the basement, but if you've got other TVs down there to use during the day, then you could make a good case for putting a projection system in just for the special events when you can control light.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 01-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 108
One other thing to consider - the wall you want to put the PJ on is very short (< 8') so any decent sized screen won't fit there. 110" screen is 8' wide I think.

Even if you can get the screen to fit, it brings the question of where will the speakers go.

I would lean towards PJ since you already have multiple tvs down there, but otherwise just get an 80" and be done with it. They are pretty cheap nowadays and you wont need a receiver, speakers, etc.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo_btru View Post

One other thing to consider - the wall you want to put the PJ on is very short (< 8') so any decent sized screen won't fit there. 110" screen is 8' wide I think.

Even if you can get the screen to fit, it brings the question of where will the speakers go.

I would lean towards PJ since you already have multiple tvs down there, but otherwise just get an 80" and be done with it. They are pretty cheap nowadays and you wont need a receiver, speakers, etc.

I mentioned above that i plan on covering the closet, and hoped to do with with a drop down from the ceiling screen. The closet has no doors, it's just framed in with shelves. Having a screen drop down from the ceiling and in front of the closet that will hardly be used wouldn't be a big deal for me. If i wanted a fixed screen it would be an issue though. I'm planning on getting a receiver, and speakers regardless. I have a cheap onkyo system in my current living room that I will be keeping there. So that is also part of this setup either way.

I do plan on having some TV's on the wall with mounts that can swivel. Very likely 32" screens because they are so cheap. It's mainly for my poker nights. There won't be any seating anything for these to be used on a regular basis. I do see your point though.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaba View Post

I mentioned above that i plan on covering the closet, and hoped to do with with a drop down from the ceiling screen. The closet has no doors, it's just framed in with shelves. Having a screen drop down from the ceiling and in front of the closet that will hardly be used wouldn't be a big deal for me. If i wanted a fixed screen it would be an issue though. I'm planning on getting a receiver, and speakers regardless. I have a cheap onkyo system in my current living room that I will be keeping there. So that is also part of this setup either way.

I do plan on having some TV's on the wall with mounts that can swivel. Very likely 32" screens because they are so cheap. It's mainly for my poker nights. There won't be any seating anything for these to be used on a regular basis. I do see your point though.

I must have missed that part, sorry.

You can't really beat a projector in terms of wow factor but if you will have blinds open, it just won't look good. I would get a projector and project onto the wall and see how you like the picture during the day. If you get one of the cheaper projectors like the benq, you can run it a lot without worrying about bulb cost and it is super bright. You will probably want a gray screen though to boost the contrast, and maybe an ambient light rejection one like a firehawk to deal with stray ambient light.

You can probably find a used screen for a decent price - around $1k if its something like a firehawk g3; I don't know any other ambient light screens that come in a drop down format.

- Klipsch RF-82 ii, RC-62 ii, RS-52 ii
- Klipsch RW-12D
- Sony HW50es
- Firehawk G3
- Denon 2113
Old 01-28-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the screen recommendation. I would have had no idea what's best for my particular situation. That helps. I was initially looking at something like EluneVision 4k screens, but again...i was just randomly looking at screens without much knowledge.

http://eastporters.com/estore/cart.php?page=screens
Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I was also wondering what people do with Xbox or Wii. Playing games while standing and moving around and not getting in the way of the projector. What's the best recommendation for that? Does anyone have any examples of setups for dealing with this?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Rear projection or one that has an extremely short throw lens would work ideally for Wii use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey
Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

And where do you place it? Can you still hang it from the ceiling? I would think it would need to be near the floor or on the coffee table or something for a short throw?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 297
It depends on the projector.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey
Old 01-28-2014, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

I was originally thinking the benq w1070, but i would probably switch to the benq w1080st. I'm still undecided, really. It seems like the a great projector for what i need, and it would be good for the budget.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Whilst I have a much smaller space then you, I was also making the same consideration TV or projector, I had eventually decided on a 65" plasma but then at the last minute decided to go with a projector. I decided on the BenQ w1080st as my room is quite small 13x16 but in the end it worked out very well. I had no prior experience with projectors and so I didn't really know what to expect and I was blown away. I got a 125" motorized screen and its absolutely stunning, I really cannot rave enough about it. I hired a local guy to install the screen and projector (there is some math involved in positioning the projector with respect to where the screen is) and we had it done in two and a half hours. My room as a very small window but its covered by our deck so its totally dark, I am sure with some curtains you could achieve a dark enough room for a projector.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ash_man. What screen did you decide to go with? That's good to hear about the BenQ w1080st. Do you have it ceiling mounted?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Also, do you happen to have any pictures of your setup smile.gif
Old 01-28-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Projector: you'll have mediocre picture quality with the lights on, but a great experience when you get the room dark. you also have the option of running different size screens based on aspect ratio if you choose(i find a constant image height is better), and it's easier to get into and out of the room or move around if you so decide in the future.

TV: you'll get a much better picture with the lights on, although may have to deal with reflections(still better than a washed out image). however, the only tv's i know large and within your budget are edgelit LED's, and i've yet to see one that didn't have offensive clouding/flashlighting that was visible in a dark room. The other plus with this is it's pretty simple and straightforward, no aiming, measuring, hanging screens, etc. And you don't have to worry as much about line of site issues if your kids play kinect games or anything where they might be standing in front of the tv.

there will be some more pros and cons depending on what models you eventually narrow it down to, but i think that generalizes the tv vs projector issue

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
We have a room similar to yours. It has full light control in the projector area. It has a 106 inch screen and projector and later we added a 50 inch plasma. For big events and movies at night the projector is great. I would say since we added the plasma it is used 70% of the time.

Projectors are not good for brief, less than 2 hour, viewing and do not start instantaneously like a TV. Even with our light control the projector does not lend itself to daytime viewing.

I like the projector but an 80 inch TV, for us would be great 90% of the time and ease of use is a big factor. Kids and projectors do not mix well.

Think hard regarding how you will use the room and let that drive your decision. One last point. The TV will be easier to install, will likely work for 10 years. With the projector you will need a bulb every two years and the projector life will not be equal to the a TV.

I am hanging on to our current projector and look forward to replacing it with an LED projector if they become more available with higher light output. If not I could see replacing it
with a large TV.

Home Theater is GREAT
Old 01-28-2014, 07:44 PM

This is a photo of our home theatre, its small and modest, we still have to do some work on the drop ceiling hence why the tiles are open, but you get the idea. That's a 125" motorized Elite screen with a +1 gain, its the perfect size for the room for us. The projector is mounted in the ceiling in the top right corner of the pic.

merkaba likes this.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cohen View Post

I am hanging on to our current projector and look forward to replacing it with an LED projector if they become more available with higher light output. If not I could see replacing it with a large TV.

This is exactly my situation as well and I'm actually second guessing continuing with front projection after 8 years of exclusive FP use. Projectors simply are not good for mixed media rooms and the cost per inch of screen size is getting close enough that I'm starting to think it makes more sense to go with a panel unless you have a dedicated cave. It works out pretty well for me as the majority of my viewing is at night anyway, but even then I'd like to be able to pop it on and watch a show then maybe do something else and then maybe come back and watch something else. With lamp projectors you've constantly gotta decide if it's better to leave it running or power it off. A lot of times if I do power it off and later want to go back and watch something short, I won't power the PJ back up and put excess wear on the lamp. I really don't like my viewing habits being dicated by my gear!

Then there's the issue of flickering lamps and variable lifespans between bulb changes. I think I'm just tired of the variability of the experience. I'd personally rather compromise a bit on the viewing experience for some consistency!

LED/Laser light sources are the answer but currently comes with too many compromises. I too am strongly considering getting a 70"+ panel and then maybe try projection again in a few years when 4K and more reliable and longer lasting light sources are more mainstream.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

This is interesting. Why is it bad to turn it off and on? It makes the bulb not last as long? These are things i was not aware of. I figured I'd have the PJ connected to my receiver just like a normal TV. I'd turn everything on, and start watching. Is this not the case? If it's a pain to deal with I don't really want to have my wife trying to use it and not be able to figure things out while i'm not home. She only works 2 days a week and is home with the kids all other days.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_man View Post

This is a photo of our home theatre, its small and modest, we still have to do some work on the drop ceiling hence why the tiles are open, but you get the idea. That's a 125" motorized Elite screen with a +1 gain, its the perfect size for the room for us. The projector is mounted in the ceiling in the top right corner of the pic.

Thanks ash_man! How tall are your ceilings?
Old 01-29-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I currently have a kids playroom/modest HT room, both my kids are young so take into consideration to either block or put electronics out of reach for small ones. I almost went with a big tv setup down there because of the 'ease' of use but after seeing pj's setup at a local HT shop I was smitten! So I went with a PJ setup and my whole family loves it when we watch a movie down there! I have pics in my profile but what isn't pictured is my baby gate that blocks my screen, towers, center and sub.

October HorrorFest Participant
Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I currently have a kids playroom/modest HT room, both my kids are young so take into consideration to either block or put electronics out of reach for small ones. I almost went with a big tv setup down there because of the 'ease' of use but after seeing pj's setup at a local HT shop I was smitten! So I went with a PJ setup and my whole family loves it when we watch a movie down there! I have pics in my profile but what isn't pictured is my baby gate that blocks my screen, towers, center and sub.

Thanks BornSlippyZ! Nice setup. I also have a large gate that wraps around all my electronics. It works perfectly, and is much needed. What kind of speakers/sub are you using? I need to buy that stuff still.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:

Thanks BornSlippyZ! Nice setup. I also have a large gate that wraps around all my electronics. It works perfectly, and is much needed. What kind of speakers/sub are you using? I need to buy that stuff still.
Thanks!
The sub is a HSU VTF-15H, L/R are old Klipsch KLF20's and the center is an old Klipsch RC3. I have had these speakers (sans the sub) for years and I finally got to dig them out and use them. Yes that plastic gate works great keeping my kids away from my stuff but it still allows the kids to enjoy the movie. I am pretty happy with what I got and for watching movies, Pj's imo are the way to go! I would definitely find a place where you can demo speakers/pj's to see what you ears/eyes will like, then shop around online for better prices (AVS also has an online store and if you need help give Mike a call/email).
merkaba likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

Thanks!
The sub is a HSU VTF-15H, L/R are old Klipsch KLF20's and the center is an old Klipsch RC3. I have had these speakers (sans the sub) for years and I finally got to dig them out and use them. Yes that plastic gate works great keeping my kids away from my stuff but it still allows the kids to enjoy the movie. I am pretty happy with what I got and for watching movies, Pj's imo are the way to go! I would definitely find a place where you can demo speakers/pj's to see what you ears/eyes will like, then shop around online for better prices (AVS also has an online store and if you need help give Mike a call/email).

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks ash_man! How tall are your ceilings?

With the drop ceiling they are about 8 feet, we are lucky to have such high ceilings in our basement.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Not bad. Ours are just below 8 feet. Somewhere around 7'9" or something. Does anyone have any recommendations on proper speaker placement for a 7.x system for my layout?

Tags
Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread