Flickering brightness on Panasonic PT-AE8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. Have noticed for a while the above projector's brightness will lower momentarily and then go back to normal. This happens whether the projector is in normal or eco mode. Have read this could be a lamp problem but what intrigues me is that if I replay the scene in which it happens, the flickering will happen at the very same spot. Seems to be triggered by the content itself. Perhaps the scenes' brightness causes the lamp to malfunction? Should I replace the lamp or call in Panasonic service? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post

Hello. Have noticed for a while the above projector's brightness will lower momentarily and then go back to normal. This happens whether the projector is in normal or eco mode. Have read this could be a lamp problem but what intrigues me is that if I replay the scene in which it happens, the flickering will happen at the very same spot. Seems to be triggered by the content itself. Perhaps the scenes' brightness causes the lamp to malfunction? Should I replace the lamp or call in Panasonic service? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a dynamic iris or some dynamic mumbo jumbo.. :-) Turn off any dynamic setting one a time while replaying the scene to see which is doing it. I would put mony on the iris if it has one.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steilkurve View Post

Sounds like a dynamic iris or some dynamic mumbo jumbo.. :-) Turn off any dynamic setting one a time while replaying the scene to see which is doing it. I would put mony on the iris if it has one.

Well, it appears you put your money on the right thing! Just turned dynamic IRIS off and the flickering is gone. Thanks a bunch!

Manual is pretty cryptic on what dynamic IRS does. Would someone be kind enough to elaborate? What does it do concretely?

post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 111
The dynamic iris is a like a shutter in a camera that opens and closes within the light path to try and increase contrast ratio. So on dark scenes it will close to make things darker and then on bright open all the way.. in between and mixed scenes it can mess up .. it is more or less a hack to compensate for poor native contrast. There are very view auto iris system that work really well and probably none that are completely invisible in every type of scene. Google Dynamic Iris front projection, I am sure you will find a bunch of info on how they work..
post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2014, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The dynamic iris is a like a shutter in a camera that opens and closes within the light path to try and increase contrast ratio. So on dark scenes it will close to make things darker and then on bright open all the way.. in between and mixed scenes it can mess up .. it is more or less a hack to compensate for poor native contrast. There are very view auto iris system that work really well and probably none that are completely invisible in every type of scene. Google Dynamic Iris front projection, I am sure you will find a bunch of info on how they work..

Thanks Airscapes.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-05-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Not only that, but it's also VERY distracting during the perfect storm of scenes. One of the worst is end credits in movies that alternate between a completely black screen and then a person's name in white text in the middle. Does my head in on my Sony 50ES, but such is the way it goes. Thankfully it's not (often) noticeable during the movies themselves.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page