Worth upgrading to JVC x500 from Sony hw50? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I currently have a Sony hw50es that I really do think is great but as always I have the upgrade bug. My projector before this was an epson 5010 and I like the sony more in virtually every way. Room environment will let in some ambient light (not a lot), walls are lightish tan, white ceiling except for half a screen length in front of screen has black felt light trap material, some furniture that is light tan in room as well. Screen is a Stewart Firehawk 123" G3. Viewing is composed of 80% directv television shows and 20% bluray, no gaming. Do you think the jvc x500 would be a worthy upgrade? Opinions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It sounds like you should do some room treatments (blacking things out if possible) to get the best performance out of your setup. If you have ambient light in the room, and non black walls/ceiling, the JVC will not be performing close to its potential (neither will the Sony for that matter). I have dark tan walls and a black ceiling, and the difference from just blacking out the ceiling was huge. Sharper image and better blacks, richer colors too. My room is completely light free BTW and the WAF is low on this, but they get used to it cool.gif

Next for me, either painting the side wall or putting up some sort of black curtains.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

I can add more light traps and extend the ceilings but i wouldn't be able to change color of rug or furniture and walls and ceiling last the light trap material would remain the same. I was thinking of putting in electronic black out curtains so could get rid of the ambient light but it still would be far from a batcave. So, the jvc probably still wouldn't look significantly better in this situation?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-06-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Not sure on that one. I'm in the same boat as you but the main reason I am considering the upgrade is for better contrast/black levels. I had the RS45 before the HW50 and I've done A/B comparisons in the same room and the difference contrast wise is noticeable so the new JVCs should even be better. in the case of the RS45, the Sony had better motion, better color, better motion interpolation, and RC made the picture sharper but depending on the content the picture would look "cooked" in some cases. From the sound of it though the JVC has caught up with the Sony in these other areas so this is why I am considering one.

Having said that, my viewing is 100% Blu-Ray with a few DVDs. If my main viewing were Live TV/DVR I'm not sure if I would consider the switch if your not viewing a lot of shows with dark scenes.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-17-2014, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

What's the best price people are seeing for a jvc x500? Thinking of ordering one tomorrow.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-18-2014, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidibecker View Post

What's the best price people are seeing for a jvc x500? Thinking of ordering one tomorrow.

Give Mike or Craig at AVScience a call. They have VERY competitive pricing and offer the best customer service out there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

... in the case of the RS45, the Sony had better motion, better color, better motion interpolation,..... From the sound of it though the JVC has caught up with the Sony in these other areas so this is why I am considering one.

For anyone who have seen both the Sony 50/55 and Jvc 4910/x500. Has the Jvc really caught up with the Sony with better motion and better color/interpolation? I'm interested in these two projector too.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post

For anyone who have seen both the Sony 50/55 and Jvc 4910/x500. Has the Jvc really caught up with the Sony with better motion and better color/interpolation? I'm interested in these two projector too.

Yes, I was very sensitive with motion on my x70 and the 4910 does a very nice job improving so much so that I don't need to use clear motion drive
post #9 of 9 Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post

When you say motion are you referring to native motion or using frame interpolation? I think that's the key. I recently sold my HW50 but I always used motion flow. If you use frame interpolation IMO Sony's motion flow is smoother but more agressive and the soap effect is more apparent. I can say that JVC's new CMD is far better than it was on the RS45 that I had. The new CMD is not quite as smooth as motion flow but the soap effect isn't as obvious. All my comments are based on 1080p/24fps video though.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page