Will a Da-Lite HP screen work for me? Should I replace my Carada BW? Mits 7900dw - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 02-06-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I've decided to get an HP screen for 3D. I'm getting a Mits 7900 for just 3D and I'm gonna just use it on a stand when I watch 3D so I can get the projector at around eye level.

I also own the JVC RS4910. This projector is ceiling mounted at a height of 6.5 feet and is 12 feet away from the screen. The screen is very close to the ceiling and the top of the screen is about a foot higher then the projection lens.

Can I still use the HP screen with my JVC without getting serious issues? How much gain would I still get with my ceiling mounted JVC? Would there be serious hotspotting, or colour shifting or UNEVEN brightness uniformity with the HP and JVC?

I'd rather have 1 screen and just get a fixed frame HP screen and replace my Carada BW screen. I can also get a manual pull down HP screen and just run two screens. HP for 3D and Carada for the JVC.

Would the HP be beneficial or at least equal to the Carada in my setup? Even without the added gain, I'd be fine with the HP and JVC as long as their was no issues with screen uniformity.

Thanks.
conan48 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Im sure the Mit doesn't have lens shift to use with a HP screen
blee0120 is online now  
post #3 of 24 Old 02-06-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 12,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 384
R Harkness is online now  
post #4 of 24 Old 02-06-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 245
110" Deja Vu, who got me to order this projector said it can be used with an HP, but it takes some work. He told me how to do it with minimal to no keystoning. He said I can tilt the projector slightly and it should work if the screen is near the ceiling. Also, can't wait to try out the Mits for 3D. This is Deja Vu go to projector now and he's has about as much experience with 3D as anyone on this forum and he even chose the Mits over the mighty Sharp 30k! The 7900 (same as the 8000, but without the additional 2 iris) is going for fire sale prices. You can snag one for like 799! brightness seems like the only issue, which is why I'd try an HP screen. Does the HP pulldown have any wrinkles or waves? I cant stand that and would prefer fixed frame if it gets rid of any waves or wrinkles.
conan48 is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 02-06-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I meant to say on a stand. But any screen will work with a HP screen
blee0120 is online now  
post #6 of 24 Old 02-06-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,556
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The Mits 7900 does have lens shift, albeit not as much as I think it needs. BTW I didn't twist your arm to buy the Mits. For $999, including the glasses and emitter I think it's one heck of a deal. If you don't like the projector PM me.

Personally I would use both screens for the first while until you get a feel for how each screen works for each projector. The HP does not hot spot and I've never noticed any colour shift, except when I used a Sony G90 with it and the colour shift was minimal. The HP (2.8 gain) brought my G90 to life on a 120 inch screen. f you're going to table mount the projector the trick is to place the top of the screen right against the ceiling and elevate the projector to just below shoulder height when seated either beside or behind the projector. I assume the 2.4 gain HP will allow you to get decent brightness from the 7900. You may have to move the projector forward or lower it slightly to get the top of the image low enough to fit within the top border of the screen but I think it will work with a 110" screen assuming the top of the screen is placed against the ceiling. The 2.8 gain HP works well for my 7900. Anyway, good luck and I think you're in for a 3D treat.

You might think about buying a projector mount with an arm that allows you to lower your JVC. That way you can see how you like a very bright image with exceptional contrast.
Deja Vu is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 02-06-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Thanks,

I know you didn't twist my arm. LOL. I just respect your opinion as we are part of the Acer club wink.gifbiggrin.gif and if you say a 3D projector is good, I'm gonna take it seriously. Anyway, I'm unhappy with the Optoma HD25e because of a truly crappy lens, and horrible colours in 3D, but I can return that one to Costco and still save money by going with the 7900. The 7900 was originally a 2500 projector and is supposed to have an excellent lens that will destroy any sup 1500 DLP. I buy and sell projectors all the time to try out, and if for some reason I don't like the Mits, I have a friend who already wants to buy it! I sold him my Epson a few years ago and now he wants to upgrade to 3D as well.

I found a pretty crazy price on a model B 106" for 229 + 50 shipping. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/117871-REG/Da_Lite_78672_78672_Model_B_Manual.html Any reason not to get this screen? Will I get any waves, or wrinkles because it's non tensioned?
conan48 is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 02-06-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,556
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Thanks,

I know you didn't twist my arm. LOL. I just respect your opinion as we are part of the Acer club wink.gifbiggrin.gif and if you say a 3D projector is good, I'm gonna take it seriously. Anyway, I'm unhappy with the Optoma HD25e because of a truly crappy lens, and horrible colours in 3D, but I can return that one to Costco and still save money by going with the 7900. The 7900 was originally a 2500 projector and is supposed to have an excellent lens that will destroy any sup 1500 DLP. I buy and sell projectors all the time to try out, and if for some reason I don't like the Mits, I have a friend who already wants to buy it! I sold him my Epson a few years ago and now he wants to upgrade to 3D as well.

I found a pretty crazy price on a model B 106" for 229 + 50 shipping. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/117871-REG/Da_Lite_78672_78672_Model_B_Manual.html Any reason not to get this screen? Will I get any waves, or wrinkles because it's non tensioned?

The interesting thing about retro-reflective screens is that they don't show wrinkles or waves when they reflect an image. So, even if the screen has some slight waves etc. you won't notice while viewing material. Hard to believe I know, but true.

Btw -- I do own the Sharp and consider it to be second to none for 3D. (Where do you find a Sharp now? -- Zombie was instrumental in creating an enormous demand for them. Now there aren't any or you have to pay more than the original list price biggrin.gif) The Mits was a lot cheaper and does some things the Sharp won't do (like exceptional 2D to 3D conversion). And yes I am fully aware most here are very sceptical about on the fly 2D to 3D conversion but the conversion the Mits uses works for me -- not perfect but pretty damn good considering what else is out there.
Deja Vu is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 02-06-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
conan48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Igloo
Posts: 2,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I tried finding a sharp but they are gone. Happy to know that the mits is a great alternative and I look forward to playing with the 2D to 3D conversion. Thanks again for your help Deja Vu. Maybe I should call AVS to see what their prices are on the HP? Good to know about the lack of visible waves, as the cheapest fixed frame is like 700. Can't go wrong with 230. Even if I don't like it for some reason, it's no big loss.
conan48 is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 02-08-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,556
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
There's a Sharp here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SHARP-XVZ30000-Full-HD-3D-2D-DLP-Projector-w-2-Sets-3D-Glasses-New-/131109063543?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item1e86b58b77

but it's considerably more expensive than the Mits.
Deja Vu is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 02-08-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,740
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
I think the advantage of the sharp is that you can get it dead center for max gain on the HP.

that guy on ebay sold quite a few at a reasonable price but the real deal was on WOOT those 2 times last year.
zombie10k is online now  
post #12 of 24 Old 02-08-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,556
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Yes, the Sharp is much, much easier to position with the HP screen. To get the Mits to work one has to fire up a few brain cells.

Zombie -- I'm waiting with great anticipation for your report about the HD91. Will it live up to the hype or is it just a mediocre DLP that happens to use L.E.D.s as a light source?
Deja Vu is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 02-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
paris401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
hey guys a question... just bought a 7900 from b+h for 799.. no need for 3d, as using component cable... stepping up (??) from a infocus 7205.. our screen is the acoustic screen research 115'' 0.95gain.. the infocus is ceiling mounted 16'6'' from the screen.. according to the pj calc, I should get approx. 14fl at this distance .. we watch most hd sports, and the odd movie..

is 14fl going to be enough?? I really not keen to replace the screen which when bought was more then the infocus... the room is a bat-cave.. black ceiling, melot walls,,,
thanks
paris401 is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,729
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 130
14-16 is recommended level for bat cave!
airscapes is online now  
post #15 of 24 Old 02-11-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
humbland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

There's a Sharp here: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SHARP-XVZ30000-Full-HD-3D-2D-DLP-Projector-w-2-Sets-3D-Glasses-New-/131109063543?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item1e86b58b77

but it's considerably more expensive than the Mits.

This guy paid $6500 for the Z30K??? MSRP was $5K...
Scam alert.
humbland is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Member
 
shiseido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: porto, PORTUGAL
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post

14-16 is recommended level for bat cave!
and 25fl is a "good number"??
shiseido is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 02-14-2014, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 585
12 -14 ft lamberts is the movie theater standard. Most prefer a tad higher in their HT, feeling quite comfortable with 16. Bulbs age though and most don't notice a gradual drop over time to say even 8 or so. Let's assume you have 12. If you double the ft lamberts to 24, your eyes will perceive it as being about 25% brighter. Nothing wrong with playing your speakers louder so to speak. Here if you have dropping eyelids like I do (optical myesthenia) that would perhaps look like 12 to 14. Bottom line, it all works fine,and many prefer extra brightness once they have it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #18 of 24 Old 02-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Member
 
shiseido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: porto, PORTUGAL
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
in projector central calculator, the pj im gonna buy (hc7900) ate my distance gies me 25 fl, so its a "good number", i think yes because my former hc5500 gives me 21fl and my last epson tw600, gives me 30fl but i never noticed this "fl" question....smile.gif
shiseido is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 02-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
paris401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseido View Post

in projector central calculator, the pj im gonna buy (hc7900) ate my distance gies me 25 fl, so its a "good number", i think yes because my former hc5500 gives me 21fl and my last epson tw600, gives me 30fl but i never noticed this "fl" question....smile.gif

25?????... what's the gain???... and the distance from the screen???- u must have a gain of 100, about 1 foot from the screen to be getting 25... WOW...
paris401 is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 02-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Member
 
shiseido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: porto, PORTUGAL
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
its a 1.0 gain, im gonna buy the hc7900 but using the calculator about the hc7800 because i cant find the 7900, its a 92 inches screen and its more or less at 11 feet and using the calculatar, appears image brightness-26fl....
shiseido is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 AM
Senior Member
 
paris401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseido View Post

its a 1.0 gain, im gonna buy the hc7900 but using the calculator about the hc7800 because i cant find the 7900, its a 92 inches screen and its more or less at 11 feet and using the calculatar, appears image brightness-26fl....

wow mines 115'', 0.95gain, n on the mitsui website there is a calc , n the best I can get is 16fl on the 7900... n prob 15/14 fl as i'm mounting a little further back... about 15 1/2' from the screen
paris401 is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 AM
Member
 
shiseido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: porto, PORTUGAL
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

wow mines 115'', 0.95gain, n on the mitsui website there is a calc , n the best I can get is 16fl on the 7900... n prob 15/14 fl as i'm mounting a little further back... about 15 1/2' from the screen
youre right, ive used your data just to see if i was doing something wrong, but no, it gives 15fl in your case, i get 26 because my pj is gonna be much closer to the screen, 3.5meters.
the results are given using lamp in low mode or high mode?!?!
shiseido is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 AM
Senior Member
 
paris401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
not sure if its high/low, as they calc. does not say... I presume its in eco mode.... I just picked the pj up today, and won't be home for another few days to mount.. i'll revert with impressions when its mounted..
paris401 is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
airscapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,729
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris401 View Post

not sure if its high/low, as they calc. does not say... I presume its in eco mode.... I just picked the pj up today, and won't be home for another few days to mount.. i'll revert with impressions when its mounted..

I believe the data the cal pro uses is from the manufacture. So it is whatever the manufacture brightest mode claim is. Typically this is not a mode we would use.. This is how I understand it to work, but I could be wrong.
airscapes is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Optoma Hd25e 2800 Ansi Lumens 3d Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off