Sony VW600 w/ 4K or JVC DLAX700 w/ 4-K E-Shift?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
aaronengel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Curious to know what others think about the Sony VW600ES vs. JVC DLAX700? For a cost efficient option, which of these would you go for and why?
aaronengel24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Both are great projectors but for a cost efficient option, the RS57 of course. I would choose the RS49 over both. Its almost similar to the RS57, and much, much cheaper than the Sony 600es. The RS49 will give you a picture that is amazing.
blee0120 is online now  
post #3 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
how much longer we looking until we see 4K Projectors with decent input lag times (30 ms) for ~3K?

Also what kind of inputs are we looking at for these 4K Projectors? I looked up the RS49, and it was ~$5K on Ebay. Not bad at all. But is it HDMI 2.0, or is it still only capable of 30 Hz refresh rate?
tential is offline  
post #4 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Dont buy from eBay. You can get a better price
blee0120 is online now  
post #5 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

how much longer we looking until we see 4K Projectors with decent input lag times (30 ms) for ~3K?

Also what kind of inputs are we looking at for these 4K Projectors? I looked up the RS49, and it was ~$5K on Ebay. Not bad at all. But is it HDMI 2.0, or is it still only capable of 30 Hz refresh rate?

It can accept a 60hz, 30hz, and 24hz UHD signal or 24hz 4K signal but all are limited to 4:2:0 I beleive.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #6 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

how much longer we looking until we see 4K Projectors with decent input lag times (30 ms) for ~3K?

Also what kind of inputs are we looking at for these 4K Projectors? I looked up the RS49, and it was ~$5K on Ebay. Not bad at all. But is it HDMI 2.0, or is it still only capable of 30 Hz refresh rate?

Sent you an email. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #7 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronengel24 View Post

Curious to know what others think about the Sony VW600ES vs. JVC DLAX700? For a cost efficient option, which of these would you go for and why?

Depends on many factors, screen size, aspect ratio, gain, throw distance, Room and what you want to watch on your projector. If you would like to discuss, give us a call. I own a JVC RS45 and a Sony VW600ES/X

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #8 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
aaronengel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll be using SI Black Diamond 113" 1.4 gain 16:9 ratio. Distance will be about 18ft. from lense to screen. Fully controlled lighting, no windows.
aaronengel24 is offline  
post #9 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
aaronengel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Depends on many factors, screen size, aspect ratio, gain, throw distance, Room and what you want to watch on your projector. If you would like to discuss, give us a call. I own a JVC RS45 and a Sony VW600ES/X

Will watch mostly movies. Play some PS4. Watch some ball games, but primarily for movies and video games.
aaronengel24 is offline  
post #10 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

It can accept a 60hz, 30hz, and 24hz UHD signal or 24hz 4K signal but all are limited to 4:2:0 I beleive.

I meant what does it output it at? I know it can accept the signal. I'm not sure what you mean by 4:2:0. Guess I'm just a little noob at this. Most HDTVs are at 60 Hz refresh rate though for 1080p, and 30 Hz for 4K. Only heard of one HDTV from sharp that isn't out yet that is 4K, HDMI 2.0 and capable of accepting/outputting a 60 Hz 4K Image.
tential is offline  
post #11 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,703
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

how much longer we looking until we see 4K Projectors with decent input lag times (30 ms) for ~3K?

Also what kind of inputs are we looking at for these 4K Projectors? I looked up the RS49, and it was ~$5K on Ebay. Not bad at all. But is it HDMI 2.0, or is it still only capable of 30 Hz refresh rate?

It will be several years before any native 4K UHD home theater class projectors at $3K price point. Maybe $5K (street price) point will be reached by 2016.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #12 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

I meant what does it output it at? I know it can accept the signal. I'm not sure what you mean by 4:2:0. Guess I'm just a little noob at this. Most HDTVs are at 60 Hz refresh rate though for 1080p, and 30 Hz for 4K. Only heard of one HDTV from sharp that isn't out yet that is 4K, HDMI 2.0 and capable of accepting/outputting a 60 Hz 4K Image.

Well, these aren't true 4k devices. The panels in the projector are still 1080p. The eshift process optically shifts the image and displays two 1080p frames sequentially but fast enough where it appears as a single image with higher pixel density. Sending the projector a 4k or UHD signal just makes it so the projector doesn't have to do any scaling internally. The image you see on screen is not a true 4K image even when fed a 4k or UHD signal because as previously mentioned the LCoS panels are only 1080p.

4:2:0 is talking about the chroma subsampling rate.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #13 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Also, while the image isn't true 4K, the input rates I mentioned are also the output rates. For example, if you fed a UHD 60hz image you'd get an eshifted image at 60hz on screen.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #14 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
aaronengel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Also, while the image isn't true 4K, the input rates I mentioned are also the output rates. For example, if you fed a UHD 60hz image you'd get an eshifted image at 60hz on screen.

So with that said, which projector out of the 2 do you believe works the best?
aaronengel24 is offline  
post #15 of 33 Old 02-11-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronengel24 View Post

So with that said, which projector out of the 2 do you believe works the best?

There are two or three members on the forum that have put the VW1000ES or a VW600ES in a side by side comparison to the past few years flagship JVC projectors and with 1080p blu-ray content the consensus is that the images look almost identical. With real 4K content both Sony's clearly have an advantage. But it will still be some time until there is 4K content in large quantities. If you have the money I'd suggest picking up one of the Sony's to future proof your investment, but if you're looking to save as much as possible and want the most bang for the buck the JVC is one hell of a projector and isn't something you'll regret purchasing once you see what kind of an image it can put out.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #16 of 33 Old 02-12-2014, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post



Well, these aren't true 4k devices. The panels in the projector are still 1080p. The eshift process optically shifts the image and displays two 1080p frames sequentially but fast enough where it appears as a single image with higher pixel density. Sending the projector a 4k or UHD signal just makes it so the projector doesn't have to do any scaling internally. The image you see on screen is not a true 4K image even when fed a 4k or UHD signal because as previously mentioned the LCoS panels are only 1080p.

4:2:0 is talking about the chroma subsampling rate.

I thought the RS49 was a full 4K device oops. I hate these "psuedo" devices.
tential is offline  
post #17 of 33 Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

I thought the RS49 was a full 4K device oops. I hate these "psuedo" devices.

Nope, still 1080p doing faux 4k through eshift.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #18 of 33 Old 02-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Gradius2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chile
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The price gap between RS49 and VW600 is "just" over the double. tongue.gifeek.gif

[]s,
Fernando
Gradius2 is offline  
post #19 of 33 Old 02-12-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

I thought the RS49 was a full 4K device oops. I hate these "psuedo" devices.

Why does you hate them? It only adds to the features, which can easily be turned off
blee0120 is online now  
post #20 of 33 Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius2 View Post

The price gap between RS49 and VW600 is "just" over the double. tongue.gifeek.gif

Its a lot over double
blee0120 is online now  
post #21 of 33 Old 02-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Senior Member
 
Gradius2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chile
Posts: 388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Its a lot over double

For street price, no.

RS49 is under $5K, but not that much, and VW600 is over $10K, but also not for that much.

And the pace we are going, 4K will be reality for the "mass" only around 2018.

[]s,
Fernando
Gradius2 is offline  
post #22 of 33 Old 02-13-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Merillville, IN 46410
Posts: 3,526
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
MSRP is $5k to $15k. Street price is the same, about 3x the cost.

Also, street price is not just under $5k. At least not what I heard
blee0120 is online now  
post #23 of 33 Old 02-13-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
b curry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: on the way to Hell, Michigan USA
Posts: 2,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

MSRP is $5k to $15k. Street price is the same, about 3x the cost.

Also, street price is not just under $5k. At least not what I heard

 

I guess it depends on what street you shop on. :)

b curry is offline  
post #24 of 33 Old 02-13-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by tential View Post

I thought the RS49 was a full 4K device oops. I hate these "psuedo" devices.

Look at the image it throws for the price. smile.gif A 4K looking image for 1080P price point.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #25 of 33 Old 02-15-2014, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 6,987
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

There are two or three members on the forum that have put the VW1000ES or a VW600ES in a side by side comparison to the past few years flagship JVC projectors and with 1080p blu-ray content the consensus is that the images look almost identical. With real 4K content both Sony's clearly have an advantage. But it will still be some time until there is 4K content in large quantities. If you have the money I'd suggest picking up one of the Sony's to future proof your investment, but if you're looking to save as much as possible and want the most bang for the buck the JVC is one hell of a projector and isn't something you'll regret purchasing once you see what kind of an image it can put out.

The only way the Sony is "future proof" in any way shape or form is because it has a true 4K panel. If that is the future proof you are looking for, you're covered. We have no idea if it is "future proof" in terms of bandwidth support via its HDMI input, color space support (P3, 2020??) or bit depth. In other words, anyone selling any of these as a "future proof" scenario isn't much of a fortune teller. Either of these projectors can be solid easily on their merits. But future proof isn't on the list of key features I'd put on either of them.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #26 of 33 Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It also has HDMI 2.0 which will be the standard for quite some time. Future proof? Of course not, nothing is. It will however look amazing for a long time. If it weren't for the horrible input lag I would get one now.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #27 of 33 Old 02-18-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 6,987
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Not HDMI 2.0 I'm afraid. More like 1.4b with provision for HDCP 2.2.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #28 of 33 Old 02-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Brad/Viper-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

Not HDMI 2.0 I'm afraid. More like 1.4b with provision for HDCP 2.2.

When HDMI 2.0 becomes the standard, how can Sony legally claim they have 2.0 in these projectors when its only 1.4b?
Maybe it will be firmware upgradable to 2.0? Surely they must have this worked out somehow.
I would think they would have legal problems otherwise. No?

Brad
Brad/Viper-Fan is offline  
post #29 of 33 Old 02-18-2014, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 6,987
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Not sure. I think the HDMI group doesn't actually formally call it 2.0 and I'm not sure why Sony did what they did. JVC was strict not to say that with this years line despite having the same features minus the HDCP support. It is also causing a bit of a fiasco over at Emotiva today as well.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #30 of 33 Old 02-19-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Kris, when is that review coming out on the x500/4910?
ultra 150 pilot is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw600es , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off