Da-Lite HP 2.4. Visible streaks/banding. Is it defective? Some JVC rs4910, Mits 7900 3D impressions. - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 02-14-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

So you're saying there's no difference between pesticides and no pesticides...

No way to know if it is REALLY Organic.. Looks like a mater, smells like a mater, tastes like a mater.. but did I spray it with Malathion once or twice to kill the white fly? Is it worth double the price? Does any of this really matter? eek.gif

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 02-14-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

So you're saying there's no difference between pesticides and no pesticides...
I realize that this is off topic, but pretty sure that the difference between organic and non-organic in the US isn't whether pesticides were used or not. They can both use pesticides, just different classes of pesticides.

For example, here is a pesticide that has been used extensively by organic farmers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotenone
Quote:
In 2000, injecting rotenone into rats was reported to cause the development of symptoms similar to those of Parkinson's disease (PD). Rotenone was continuously applied over a period of five weeks, mixed with DMSO and PEG to enhance tissue penetration, and injected into the jugular vein.[20] The study does not directly suggest rotenone exposure is responsible for PD in humans, but is consistent with the belief that chronic exposure to environmental toxins increases the likelihood of the disease.[21]

In addition, studies with primary cultures of rat neurons and microglia have shown low doses of rotenone (below 10 nM) induce oxidative damage and death of dopaminergic neurons,[22] and it is these neurons in the substantia nigra that die in Parkinson's disease. Another study has also described toxic action of rotenone at low concentrations (5 nM) in dopaminergic neurons from acute rat brain slices.[23] This toxicity was exacerbated by an additional cell stressor - elevated intracellular calcium concentration - adding support to the 'multiple hit hypothesis' of dopaminergic neuron death.
In 2010, a study was published detailing the progression of Parkinson's-like symptoms in mice following chronic intragastric ingestion of low doses of rotenone. The concentrations in the central nervous system were below detectable limits, yet still induced PD pathology
In 2011, a US National Institutes of Health study showed a link between rotenone use and Parkinson's disease in farm workers.
Working on a farm can be hazardous to the health of the workers from chemicals, whether organic or not.

There are a lot of natural things that are harmful to humans. I remember Nutrasweet having a commercial where they said it wasn't natural, but couldn't be made without natural things. I immediately thought that the same thing applied to nuclear waste. And arsenic is natural. I'm sure that many of us (myself included) have some misconceptions about these legal definitions for organic, non-organic, natural, etc.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #33 of 40 Old 02-14-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I realize that this is off topic, but pretty sure that the difference between organic and non-organic in the US isn't whether pesticides were used or not. They can both use pesticides, just different classes of pesticides.

Didn't know that, thanks.

Interesting post from you in contrast to the normal stuff.

biggrin.gif

Noah
post #34 of 40 Old 02-14-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Probably why I grow my own vegetables, and in keeping with topic.....probably why I will eventually make my own screen too. wink.gif
If not the screen very likely the masking system at least.
post #35 of 40 Old 02-14-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Do you need a green house to get in a decent season where you live?

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #36 of 40 Old 02-15-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Do you need a green house to get in a decent season where you live?

Nope, I do all the root crops and also beat, peas, broccoli, cabbage , zuchinni , corn , lettuce, tomato without a greenhouse. I'm tempted to build a greenhouse though, if for nothing else other than getting an early start for some of the more
sensitive plants and the cannabis of course, can't forget the main grow in the op biggrin.gif

I also have strawberry, plumb and apple trees on the property. We have an over abundance of berries growing everwhere, so I always manage to pick 5-10 gallons of raspberry, blueberry and backapple .

If I plant the DIY screens early in the greenhouse who knows they may get to 130" diagonal before the season is over. wink.gif
post #37 of 40 Old 02-15-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I spent some time just outside the far end of the denali road just outside the park. where I stayed they needed a green house to provide for the lettuce crop for the season.

Mark Haflich

post #38 of 40 Old 02-15-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Nice pun. biggrin.gif
post #39 of 40 Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice post. Some might interpret Noah's post as being insulting when in fact it was Noah showing a discriminating rarely shown subtle sense of humor. smile.gif

Mark Haflich

post #40 of 40 Old 02-16-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I spent some time just outside the far end of the denali road just outside the park. where I stayed they needed a green house to provide for the lettuce crop for the season.

Alaska is quite a bit further north than I am , indeed one would think the growing season to be quite short there for sure. I want to do sweat potato but the climate just not quite right .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page