Which of JVC's DLA-X95R/RS66U vs DLA-X700R/RS57 vs DLA-RS6710U should I choose? Max screen size? Is the new dynamic iris worth not getting top of the line from last year? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-18-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I've been given the opportunity to install a dedicated theatre at my university with a $10k budget for just the projector and screen. After months of research and reading reviews, I've decided to go with one of the top end JVCs, but now find myself unsure of which line to choose.

I could go with the top of the line from last year, the JVC DLA-X95R/RS66U, without the dynamic iris, which now can be found around the $8k price-point. This was what I was leaning towards, as I've always favored true contrast over the dimming effect of an iris like my Sony.

OR, I could get the brand new almost-top-of-the-line DLA-X700R/RS57, with the new iris, and also with e-shift3 over the previous generation's e-shift2, MSRP $8k.

OR, I also found a DLA-RS6710U for $9k which I may be able to get approved if the dynamic iris and e-shift3 are indeed significant improvements.

So what are your experiences, is the new DI an improvement or is the true contrast of the previous generation superiors? Is e-shift3 THAT much better than e-shift2?

My final question is whether or not in a 100% light controlled room these projectors are bright enough for a 165" diagonal or if I should stick to 130", if I do NOT want to sacrifice any black levels by using a higher gain screen? This aspect wasn't specifically addressed in any of the reviews I've read so I wanted to hear from someone who has experience which these projectors.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us out, I want to do this right and blow everyone away with the upgrade.

Matt K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-18-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcommatt View Post

Hello everyone,

I've been given the opportunity to install a dedicated theatre at my university with a $10k budget for just the projector and screen. After months of research and reading reviews, I've decided to go with one of the top end JVCs, but now find myself unsure of which line to choose.

I could go with the top of the line from last year, the JVC DLA-X95R/RS66U, without the dynamic iris, which now can be found around the $8k price-point. This was what I was leaning towards, as I've always favored true contrast over the dimming effect of an iris like my Sony.

OR, I could get the brand new almost-top-of-the-line DLA-X700R/RS57, with the new iris, and also with e-shift3 over the previous generation's e-shift2, MSRP $8k.

OR, I also found a DLA-RS6710U for $9k which I may be able to get approved if the dynamic iris and e-shift3 are indeed significant improvements.

So what are your experiences, is the new DI an improvement or is the true contrast of the previous generation superiors? Is e-shift3 THAT much better than e-shift2?

My final question is whether or not in a 100% light controlled room these projectors are bright enough for a 165" diagonal or if I should stick to 130", if I do NOT want to sacrifice any black levels by using a higher gain screen? This aspect wasn't specifically addressed in any of the reviews I've read so I wanted to hear from someone who has experience which these projectors.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help us out, I want to do this right and blow everyone away with the upgrade.

Matt K

Sent you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcommatt View Post

Hello everyone,

Matt K

I recently got RS57 in my light controlled basement on 150" CenterStage XD material screen and looks plenty bright (even in low lamp setting) at least when the bulb is new. There are reviews links in other JVC forums which suggest that x500R/RS4810 might give you most light because that has single iris.  

post #4 of 4 Old 02-26-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Unless it's a perfectionist application, and because you'll likely run with the aperture open for brightness, IMO you're not going to get much value from getting the higher end models; I'd get the 4910 and spend more on a gain screen, assuming the viewing angles allow it.

Noah
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X95r , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Jvc Dla X700r
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page