Need some help choosing new projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-05-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

About 3 years ago, I went through a lot of research before ultimately purchasing a JVC HD250. It's been a great projector, and I hate to let it go. That said, we're selling our house, and the buyers are intent on keeping our theater room intact for themselves. So, as we desperately want to move, we have agreed to allow it to stay (it's ok, I want to get in wall speakers for the next room anyway). Now we're at a point where buying a new project is a necessity.

I've done a tiny bit of research thus far (phone call mostly), and want to see what people think.

We will have a specific theater room that I will build for the specific purpose of watching 2D movies (no interest in 3D really) and playing the occasional PS4 game. It will be light controlled, with dark walls/ceiling, etc. Our screen will be 110-120 inches most likely (room will be 16x24ish, so screen size could be a bit larger). I will be using a 1.2 gain screen (designer white, as it's served me well in this house).

Models I'm looking at currently:

JVC RS46/X35

Sony VS-90ES (can get B stock for price of JVC).

What others should I consider?

To those who have seen/used both of the above, which one and why?

Trying to stay in and around 3k (less is better if quality isn't too sacrificed).

Black levels are important, motion is fairly important (I'm fairly sensitive to it).

Let's get to it! Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-05-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeage30 View Post

Hello!

About 3 years ago, I went through a lot of research before ultimately purchasing a JVC HD250. It's been a great projector, and I hate to let it go. That said, we're selling our house, and the buyers are intent on keeping our theater room intact for themselves. So, as we desperately want to move, we have agreed to allow it to stay (it's ok, I want to get in wall speakers for the next room anyway). Now we're at a point where buying a new project is a necessity.

I've done a tiny bit of research thus far (phone call mostly), and want to see what people think.

We will have a specific theater room that I will build for the specific purpose of watching 2D movies (no interest in 3D really) and playing the occasional PS4 game. It will be light controlled, with dark walls/ceiling, etc. Our screen will be 110-120 inches most likely (room will be 16x24ish, so screen size could be a bit larger). I will be using a 1.2 gain screen (designer white, as it's served me well in this house).

Models I'm looking at currently:

JVC RS46/X35

Sony VS-90ES (can get B stock for price of JVC).

What others should I consider?

To those who have seen/used both of the above, which one and why?

Trying to stay in and around 3k (less is better if quality isn't too sacrificed).

Black levels are important, motion is fairly important (I'm fairly sensitive to it).

Let's get to it! Thanks for your help.

For the Sony do you mean the VW-90ES? This model came out in 2010 and was replaced at the end of 2011 by the VW-95ES, so the VW90ES is a rather old model but offers very good performance (but the VW95ES is better). The JVC RS46/X35 has been around for a couple of years and is their entry-level model. Either the RS46 or a B-Stock VW90ES should deliver a very good 2D image and selecting one over the other depends on what you consider the most important characteristics. However, I but would definitely pick a Sony VW95ES over the JVC RS46.

You didn't say what is your max. budget for the projector. The AVS store offers a good discount on new JVCs and for those I would suggest the DLA-RS4910 if you can go that high. For other current models the Sony VPL-HW55ES is a excellent performing model. At an even lower price point is the Epson Home Cinema 5030UB. I suggest you check out the various threads here on the AVS forum and also the yearly home theater projector comparison at Projector Reviews - the 2013 one is HERE and the 2014 comparison report should be coming soon.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 6 Old 03-05-2014, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excuse me, yes I meant the 95ES. And max budget is going to be about $3500 realistically.

What characteristics of the 95ES would have you choose it over the RS46?
post #4 of 6 Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeage30 View Post

Excuse me, yes I meant the 95ES. And max budget is going to be about $3500 realistically.

What characteristics of the 95ES would have you choose it over the RS46?

Would you buy a DLP?
post #5 of 6 Old 03-05-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 386
As long as you do not go over 120" and under 1.2 gain, I would go with the Sony VW95ES B-stock.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Right now, I'm using a JVC RS15, Mitsubishi HC8000, and a DPI LED projector. The JVC RS15 provides a look similar to the RS40 that I had and many probably would not tell the difference between the two. I might lean toward the Mit HC8000 and definitely the DPI over the JVC. I have my Mit HC8000 up for sale on the classifieds, but after watching Gravity yesterday in 3D, I might just take it off. I'm not a big 3D fan, but recently, 3D on the Mit has been blowing my mind. I know you are not interested in 3D, but some movies that are made right, 3D can be extremely impressive. I went back and forth with 2D on the Mit and JVC. it was hard to say which one was better to ne honest. I only bought the Mit for 3D but it has been a good performing 2D projector. I watched the Fast and Furious 6 on both, with using the Darbee on my Oppo 103D. The JVC of course looked great, with good contrast. The next day I watched it on the Mit HC8000 with the FI enabled, and I actually preferred the look with it on. It gave it a sharp, clean look. I didn't even notice the decrease in contrast. Plus, the Mit has the ability to fade to black, which is always a plus in my book. If you are not bothered by DLPs, I think they can be a good buy.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Hd250 Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Sony Vpl Vw90es 3d 240hz Sxrd Projector , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector , Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Jvc Rs 15 , Jvc Dla Rs40u , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition
Gear in this thread - 240hz by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page