Does anyone think the next EPSON 5040ub projector (Fall 2014) will be 4k? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 75 Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
For those who don't think 4k matters. I just spent over 10 hours and over 2 days auditioning the sony 500es 4k projector vs the sony 55es 2k projector.

All content we played were mostly bluray 2k...

And even without 4k content the 500es was several orders better than the 55es. After you watch the 500es the 55es looks like dvd...

Even with 2k bluray content the upscaling on the sony was so amazing I could literally sit 6 feet away from a ten feet wide screen and it would be crystal clear.

3d was amazing. Felt like looking out the window.

And this is all with 2k materials. I van only imagine how much better actual 4k content would be.

If I hadn't seen the 500es I would be perfectly happy with the 55es but now there's no turning back.

4k is here to stay and if you can afford it the 500es can't be beat.
coolgeek is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 75 Old 05-22-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Viche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

For those who don't think 4k matters. I just spent over 10 hours and over 2 days auditioning the sony 500es 4k projector vs the sony 55es 2k projector.

All content we played were mostly bluray 2k...

And even without 4k content the 500es was several orders better than the 55es. After you watch the 500es the 55es looks like dvd...

Even with 2k bluray content the upscaling on the sony was so amazing I could literally sit 6 feet away from a ten feet wide screen and it would be crystal clear.

3d was amazing. Felt like looking out the window.

And this is all with 2k materials. I van only imagine how much better actual 4k content would be.

If I hadn't seen the 500es I would be perfectly happy with the 55es but now there's no turning back.

4k is here to stay and if you can afford it the 500es can't be beat.

It's ALL about price (when considering 2k vs 4k) for most of the people in here though.
Viche is offline  
post #33 of 75 Old 05-22-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

It's ALL about price (when considering 2k vs 4k) for most of the people in here though.

I was actually replying to comments such as these:
Quote:
The large majority of people proclaiming 4K is the next big thing are usually fall into one of these categories or both:

1. They have strong ties to the CE industry and they need it to be successful for their economic survival and/or
2. They are gear heads that just can't fathom why anyone would be content with the current HD format.

I am not against moving forward but the reality is that there is such little native 4K content and then factor on top their is no content delivery other than download or streaming at the moment. It all amounts for most to be less than compelled to jump on the 4K bandwagon.

Someday... But for most it will payoff to wait until the new standards are agreed upon and a universal format is available without having to buy into a proprietary system to get content.

To me, even playing 2K content on the Sony 500ES is such a step up that it's worth it... it's not like an incremental step up.. but rather a HUGE leap...

Of course, when it's the price, then I fully understand.. 4K and higher quality / brighter projectors, need to come down in price...
coolgeek is online now  
post #34 of 75 Old 06-13-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Viche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Might this be the projector we are looking for?

Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector Review

  • quieter fan
  • faster and better image quality game mode
  • same-ish price
  • longer warranty
Still doesn't have lens memory and it's lacking an auto iris, but reviews are saying the contrast is still great, and I'm not sure I'm sold on an autoiris anyway.

Thoughts?

Another review:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/an-awesome-projector/

Last edited by Viche; 06-13-2014 at 04:50 PM.
Viche is offline  
post #35 of 75 Old 06-13-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
usualsuspects's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,968
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
wrong thread - sorry

Last edited by usualsuspects; 06-13-2014 at 06:09 PM.
usualsuspects is offline  
post #36 of 75 Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
For those who don't think 4k matters. I just spent over 10 hours and over 2 days auditioning the sony 500es 4k projector vs the sony 55es 2k projector.

All content we played were mostly bluray 2k...

And even without 4k content the 500es was several orders better than the 55es. After you watch the 500es the 55es looks like dvd...

Even with 2k bluray content the upscaling on the sony was so amazing I could literally sit 6 feet away from a ten feet wide screen and it would be crystal clear.

3d was amazing. Felt like looking out the window.

And this is all with 2k materials. I van only imagine how much better actual 4k content would be.

If I hadn't seen the 500es I would be perfectly happy with the 55es but now there's no turning back.

4k is here to stay and if you can afford it the 500es can't be beat.

Interesting... must be different scaling than what I observed in the Sony 4K flat panel at display at my local Best Buy where I found the scaling to be dismal; lots of artifacts. The upscaled Art of Flight video actually looked significantly worse (horrible) than on my Epson Pro 1080UB. The same for other sources. The same video upscaled for the JVC quasi 4K top-end projector at CES on the another hand was flat out amazing.


Funny, it didn't seem like others even noticed until I pointed out numerous examples. The sales person then thought there must be something wrong so he took me back to the Magnolia section to look at another demo of the same display; same results. To this he simply said wow, I never noticed this before.


This all said, the set was very bright, had amazing blacks, and was razor sharp; better than the other sets. I can't say whether this was due to the 4K thought or just better performance in other regards such as contrast ratio. Native 4K material -what little they had- did look stunning. Regardless, I couldn't get past all the artifacts on the upscaled material. Maybe it was the demo setup but it didn't seem like this was the case.
ScottAlbrecht is offline  
post #37 of 75 Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAlbrecht View Post
Interesting... must be different scaling than what I observed in the Sony 4K flat panel at display at my local Best Buy where I found the scaling to be dismal; lots of artifacts. The upscaled Art of Flight video actually looked significantly worse (horrible) than on my Epson Pro 1080UB. The same for other sources. The same video upscaled for the JVC quasi 4K top-end projector at CES on the another hand was flat out amazing.


Funny, it didn't seem like others even noticed until I pointed out numerous examples. The sales person then thought there must be something wrong so he took me back to the Magnolia section to look at another demo of the same display; same results. To this he simply said wow, I never noticed this before.


This all said, the set was very bright, had amazing blacks, and was razor sharp; better than the other sets. I can't say whether this was due to the 4K thought or just better performance in other regards such as contrast ratio. Native 4K material -what little they had- did look stunning. Regardless, I couldn't get past all the artifacts on the upscaled material. Maybe it was the demo setup but it didn't seem like this was the case.
If you have the time, check out the projector... I can't speak for tv because i haven't tested them like you did.

BluRay looks better than they ever did before and this by a huge margin. DVD looks, well, like DVD... the resolution is just too low for any significant boosting anyways. But still, the colors would be smoother even in DVD because of the 4K resolution...
coolgeek is online now  
post #38 of 75 Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Newbie
 
gowhitten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4K projector

I just saw 2K material upscaled to 4K on a 16' screen with a Sony 515 projector and it was film-like. The 4K content from the Sony 4K media server was awesome.

Previously I had seen both 2K upscaled and 4K 2D/3D material on a dual 4K Christie system ( IMAX Home Theater) on a 26' silver screen that was better than any theater film I have ever seen.

Too bad I do not have the money (or room) for either one.
gowhitten is offline  
post #39 of 75 Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Gradius2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iquique, Chile
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'll jump into 4K when is $4K or less AND keeping the overall quality.

Looking forward for 5040, was thinking to get a 5030, but now I'll wait a bit more.

As for BD 4K, pretty sure it will comes in 2015.

[]s,
Fernando
Gradius2 is offline  
post #40 of 75 Old 07-02-2014, 04:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I originally thought that we would see more 4K projectors by this year. Now I am not quite sure. If we do see them at CEDIA they may be prototypes that will not be delivered for another year or so. Epson has been showing a projector for several years that was never delivered. The same could be true for 4K. JVC could introduce a high end 4K unit this year and I would not be surprised to see Sony show a lower priced unit. We have to have more native 4K, HDCP issues resolved, and lower prices before 4K projectors can really take off.
rwestley is online now  
post #41 of 75 Old 07-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Member
 
portishead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post
The large majority of people proclaiming 4K is the next big thing are usually fall into one of these categories or both:

1. They have strong ties to the CE industry and they need it to be successful for their economic survival and/or
2. They are gear heads that just can't fathom why anyone would be content with the current HD format.

I am not against moving forward but the reality is that there is such little native 4K content and then factor on top their is no content delivery other than download or streaming at the moment. It all amounts for most to be less than compelled to jump on the 4K bandwagon.

Someday... But for most it will payoff to wait until the new standards are agreed upon and a universal format is available without having to buy into a proprietary system to get content.
People who are against 4K are usually the same type of people: ignorant. Go view a sporting event side by side comparing a 720 stream vs a 4K stream.
portishead is offline  
post #42 of 75 Old 07-10-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,284
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAlbrecht View Post
Interesting... must be different scaling than what I observed in the Sony 4K flat panel at display at my local Best Buy where I found the scaling to be dismal; lots of artifacts. The upscaled Art of Flight video actually looked significantly worse (horrible) than on my Epson Pro 1080UB. The same for other sources. The same video upscaled for the JVC quasi 4K top-end projector at CES on the another hand was flat out amazing.


Funny, it didn't seem like others even noticed until I pointed out numerous examples. The sales person then thought there must be something wrong so he took me back to the Magnolia section to look at another demo of the same display; same results. To this he simply said wow, I never noticed this before.


This all said, the set was very bright, had amazing blacks, and was razor sharp; better than the other sets. I can't say whether this was due to the 4K thought or just better performance in other regards such as contrast ratio. Native 4K material -what little they had- did look stunning. Regardless, I couldn't get past all the artifacts on the upscaled material. Maybe it was the demo setup but it didn't seem like this was the case.
Are you are talking about the video signal that BB splits like a 100 times and are trying to compare that to a dedicated BD? Yet the JVC e-shift up-converted looked fantastic. Actual 4K does not look worse than JVC up-converted 4K.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #43 of 75 Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I think the question posed by the title of this thread has been answered. The successor to the 5030 will not be a 4K/UHD projector. It will most likely be an evolution from the 5030 with a few enhancements. However there will be a new flagship series of Epson HT projectors priced at approx. double the price (or a little more) for the 50x0 and 60x0 series. These new flagship models may very well offer 4K/UHD resolution and will be officially introduced in early Sept. at the IFA and CEDIA shows.
TSHA222 and sls3000 like this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #44 of 75 Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,719
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
I think the question posed by the title of this thread has been answered. The successor to the 5030 will not be a 4K/UHD projector. It will most likely be an evolution from the 5030 with a few enhancements. However there will be a new flagship series of Epson HT projectors priced at approx. double the price (or a little more) for the 50x0 and 60x0 series. These new flagship models may very well offer 4K/UHD resolution and will be officially introduced in early Sept. at the IFA and CEDIA shows.
Is this confirmed? If so, i should wait a few more months to see how they stack up to the 500ES
coolgeek is online now  
post #45 of 75 Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Is this confirmed? If so, i should wait a few more months to see how they stack up to the 500ES
Reliable sources in Europe have reported the new flagship models (EH-TW9600 and EH-TW10000) along with retail prices, in Euros. We already have threads for these new models to be introduced at the IFA show in Berlin in early September. The equivalent US models are expected to be introduced at the CEDIA Expo just a few days later. Epson has released no details for these new flagship models, but given they will sell for ~6K and 7K euros it is expected that they will offer some major technology advancement as compared to the current Epson projectors. These potential advancements could (most likely) be native 4K/UHD resolution - or - LCD-Reflective (LCoS) - or - LED/Laser light engine - or - some combination of these technologies. So it has not yet been confirmed that the new flagship Epson models will be native 4K/UHD projectors, but the successor to the 5030 (5040?) is virtually certain to still be a 1080p projector as it can be expected to be in the same price range as the current 5030. Thus, if Epson is going to introduce a 4K/UHD projector it will be with their new flagship models and not their lower tier 5030/6030 replacements.


However, I would not rule out Epson, or some other mainstream projector manufacturer, offering a model that uses 1080p LCD display panels but accepts a UHD input signal and then either does something along the lines of JVC's eShift or just downscales with some detail enhancement processing for display at 1080p.


Epson did recently host a show and tell in Japan where they flew a few members of the American press over to Japan for few days. Art from Projector Reviews was one of those and he tells me they are all under a strict non-disclosure agreement, so they can't say anything about the new Epson models for the USA until Epson's official announcement (probably at the start of the CEDIA Expo in September).
GoCaboNow and coolgeek like this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 07-10-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Ron Jones is offline  
post #46 of 75 Old 07-10-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
People who are against 4K are usually the same type of people: ignorant. Go view a sporting event side by side comparing a 720 stream vs a 4K stream.
Ok where would I do that? I have seen the doctored video at BB. I call ********. Clearly my post hit a nerve with you. Typically I'm all for advancements but 4k without a physical format or adopted broadcast standard is a joke.
Toknowshita is offline  
post #47 of 75 Old 07-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Member
 
portishead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post
Ok where would I do that? I have seen the doctored video at BB. I call ********. Clearly my post hit a nerve with you. Typically I'm all for advancements but 4k without a physical format or adopted broadcast standard is a joke.
I haven't been to BB in years but good to know. So 4k is a gimmick, or is it the standard you're complaining about? They are different.
portishead is offline  
post #48 of 75 Old 07-16-2014, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
willdao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Are you are talking about the video signal that BB splits like a 100 times and are trying to compare that to a dedicated BD?
+1

Just what I was getting ready to write.

BB is quite possibly the (literally!) worst possible environment to demo TVs, for a long laundry list of reasons, this being but one.

Lousy for audio, too, of course.

Last edited by willdao; 07-16-2014 at 02:20 PM.
willdao is offline  
post #49 of 75 Old 07-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
willdao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by TCARCIO


Do I sound like a luddite?
Um, nope, quite the opposite.

But, um, you DO really sound like the proto-typical, neurotic AVS Forum Member!

willdao is offline  
post #50 of 75 Old 07-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
ivo welch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: los angeles ca
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Reliable sources in Europe have reported the new flagship models (EH-TW9600 and EH-TW10000) along with retail prices, in Euros. We already have threads for these new models to be introduced at the IFA show in Berlin in early September. The equivalent US models are expected to be introduced at the CEDIA Expo just a few days later. Epson has released no details for these new flagship models, but given they will sell for ~6K and 7K euros it is expected that they will offer some major technology advancement as compared to the current Epson projectors. These potential advancements could (most likely) be native 4K/UHD resolution - or - LCD-Reflective (LCoS) - or - LED/Laser light engine - or - some combination of these technologies. So it has not yet been confirmed that the new flagship Epson models will be native 4K/UHD projectors, but the successor to the 5030 (5040?) is virtually certain to still be a 1080p projector as it can be expected to be in the same price range as the current 5030. Thus, if Epson is going to introduce a 4K/UHD projector it will be with their new flagship models and not their lower tier 5030/6030 replacements.


However, I would not rule out Epson, or some other mainstream projector manufacturer, offering a model that uses 1080p LCD display panels but accepts a UHD input signal and then either does something along the lines of JVC's eShift or just downscales with some detail enhancement processing for display at 1080p.


Epson did recently host a show and tell in Japan where they flew a few members of the American press over to Japan for few days. Art from Projector Reviews was one of those and he tells me they are all under a strict non-disclosure agreement, so they can't say anything about the new Epson models for the USA until Epson's official announcement (probably at the start of the CEDIA Expo in September).
I would love a modest ergonomics improvement: 20% smaller case, absolutely silent in super-eco mode, less heat, and capable of throwing a 10% larger picture given the same distance. the first three could be fixed with a more efficient light source (maybe even "super-eco" mode); the latter is just a little more lens.

other 5010/5020/5030 aspects are good enough for *me* already until we get 4k...
ivo welch is offline  
post #51 of 75 Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,532
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 172
"I would love a modest ergonomics improvement: 20% smaller case, absolutely silent in super-eco mode, less heat, and capable of throwing a 10% larger picture given the same distance. the first three could be fixed with a more efficient light source (maybe even "super-eco" mode); the latter is just a little more lens.

other 5010/5020/5030 aspects are good enough for *me* already until we get 4k…"



For my purposes my Epson 6010 and 6020 are not nearly good enough for me. I'm presently using a Teranex to convert 2D into 3D in real time and out of curiosity I hooked my Epson 6020 up to see how the conversions would look. It was a ghost-fest! The contrast and brightness was better than my DLP projectors but the ghosting made it unwatchable for me. If Epson can completely cure the ghosting issue, retain or improve on the contrast, keep the brightness for 3D and replace the lamp with a laser then I'll have a serious look -- whether that's the 5040 or a more expensive model isn't of particular concern to me -- Epson just needs to do this for me to be interested. I'm much more concerned about the ghosting issues and picture quality than I am about UHD, which has no content to support it.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 07-22-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Deja Vu is offline  
post #52 of 75 Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Member
 
portishead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At NAB back in April, I talked to someone at the Epson booth who was showing off professional projectors. I inquired about consumer 4K projectors. He said they were coming later this year. So take that for what it's worth.
portishead is offline  
post #53 of 75 Old 08-15-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 580
The flagship models now may be delayed because of regulatory issues regarding their laser lit phosphor wheels. This is all hearsay at this point. My guess was a 1080p 3 reflective lcd panel display lit by a blue laser for blue and causing a spinning phosphor wheel to glow with a yellow light filtered to extract green and red. These are all guesses. My guess is that such a machine will not be shown at Cedia nor will surface until EU and US regulatory approvals are obtained. Cedia is now 3 1/2 weeks away.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
post #54 of 75 Old 08-15-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Isn't the new Epson (EH-TW10000) supposed to be a 4k projector with a laser light source and a phosphorus wheel with reflective LCD panels? That's what I read in some of the translated international forums. However some made reference to 4k "simulation" so does that mean NOT native 4k?
ricwhite is offline  
post #55 of 75 Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 20,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 580
The rumor is that it will use e shift such as JVC uses. But it is all rumor and those press that have seen it are under strict non disclosure until IFA Berlin next month just before Cedia. I don't think we will see this projector there or at Cedia because of rumored problems with getting regulatory approval for the laser light source.
dstoe likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536

Last edited by mark haflich; 08-27-2014 at 11:52 PM.
mark haflich is offline  
post #56 of 75 Old 08-27-2014, 10:09 PM
Member
 
BroodishProdigy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: South Elgin IL
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Seeing some posts with pictures today of the EH-TW6600W. Could this be what is replacing the 5030?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eh-tw6600w.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	232777  
BroodishProdigy is offline  
post #57 of 75 Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 AM
Senior Member
 
cischico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodishProdigy View Post
Seeing some posts with pictures today of the EH-TW6600W. Could this be what is replacing the 5030?
That model sits in below the 5030

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/n...27_663796.html

4K is coming soon. It's up to interpretation whether it's this year or early next year, however it's been confirmed to arrive by next year at the latest.
cischico is offline  
post #58 of 75 Old 08-28-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroodishProdigy View Post
Seeing some posts with pictures today of the EH-TW6600W. Could this be what is replacing the 5030?
It is a lower-end projector and certainly not a replacement for the 5030.


http://www.homecinemacentral.com.au/..._tw6600_W.html

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #59 of 75 Old 08-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It looks like the new version of the Epson 3020 just with lens shift. I have seen the 3020 just yesterday. Decent littel projector but my friend could not get it to work in his room due to lack of left to right lens shift. This is a good thing adding lens shift to this 3d pj at this price point.
hotpepper007 is offline  
post #60 of 75 Old 08-28-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,284
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 518
I think the question on the 5040 replacement projector is, when will they add some form of lens memory.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off