Does anyone think the next EPSON 5040ub projector (Fall 2014) will be 4k? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 75 Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23

There are starting to be a lot of 4K products out there and Art hinted that we will see Epson do 4K in the next year or two

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpctv02 View Post

There are starting to be a lot of 4K products out there and Art hinted that we will see Epson do 4K in the next year or two

Two years out? I can see that, but I would be very surprised if Epson had a 4K projector to announce at CEDIA this fall.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3 of 75 Old 03-12-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Any Epson 4K projector will not be a replacement for the 5030 as it will priced well above that price point. The breakthrough price point for a 4K projector will be $5K and I would not expect to see a first generation Epson 4K model selling for much lower than that price point (i.e., perhaps $4995). IF they were to introduce their first 4K model this fall at CEDIA, then I would expect the price to be at least $5K, and perhaps 1K or 2K higher.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4 of 75 Old 03-12-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Any Epson 4K projector will not be a replacement for the 5030 as it will priced well above that price point. The breakthrough price point for a 4K projector will be $5K and I would not expect to see a first generation Epson 4K model selling for much lower than that price point (i.e., perhaps $4995). IF they were to introduce their first 4K model this fall at CEDIA, then I would expect the price to be at least $5K, and perhaps 1K or 2K higher.

I agree, but would be shocked to even see a 4K from Epson this fall. Just don't think it is going to happen.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #5 of 75 Old 03-13-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am on the fence between pulling the trigger this year or next on a decent 1080P projector or keep saving for a bit and waiting for a decent priced 4K projector. How long from now do you think 4K will be in full swing. I.E. 4K Blu-ray, HDMI 2.0 basically enough content to make it worth the upgrade? What would you do in my situation?
post #6 of 75 Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I agree, but would be shocked to even see a 4K from Epson this fall. Just don't think it is going to happen.

I think the timing for Epson to offer a 4K model comes down to when they have completed the development of the new 4K LCD panels, associated driver chips and video processing functions, then how long it takes to get them into production with a high enough yield level. This final step was what appears to have killed Epson's LCD-Reflective projectors as they couldn't mass produce the LCD-R display chips with high enough yields to be economically viable. Although Epson has been working on 4K for some time, I have heard nothing leaked about where the development stands. If such 4K projectors were to be ready to ship by the end of 2014, they should now be past the R&D stage for all of the critical areas and have moved on to getting the manufacturing process details worked out.
zuluwalker likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #7 of 75 Old 03-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 137
If you wait for the next best thing you will end up waiting forever.
Jump in now and enjoy what's available today.
The time you spend waiting you could be enjoying gorgeous movies.

There are some amazing projectors out there that are incredible values.
Sony 55, Epson 5030/6030, X35, X55 etc.

Life is short, who knows you might get hit by a bus tomorrow-not that I want you to. biggrin.gif
blake18 and raullopez1234 like this.
post #8 of 75 Old 03-21-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just want the 5040 to have lens memory, a non compromised fast mode, and the same or lower price. biggrin.gif That would just about be my perfect projector.
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #9 of 75 Old 03-21-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

I just want the 5040 to have lens memory, a non compromised fast mode, and the same or lower price. biggrin.gif That would just about be my perfect projector.

Don't see the last one happening, if you get the requested items. Adding all the motors and controls for lens memory will add a fair amount of cost.
zuluwalker likes this.

post #10 of 75 Old 03-21-2014, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Don't see the last one happening, if you get the requested items. Adding all the motors and controls for lens memory will add a fair amount of cost.

Okay fine, how about a non compromised fast mode....same or less price?
post #11 of 75 Old 03-21-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
I am on the fence between pulling the trigger this year or next on a decent 1080P projector or keep saving for a bit and waiting for a decent priced 4K projector. How long from now do you think 4K will be in full swing. I.E. 4K Blu-ray, HDMI 2.0 basically enough content to make it worth the upgrade? What would you do in my situation?

4 - 5 years. That's my prediction. I just bought another Blu Ray today. I'm betting I'll be watching 1080p content for at least 5 years. Whether on a 4K machine or not.
blake18 likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #12 of 75 Old 03-21-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

4 - 5 years. That's my prediction. I just bought another Blu Ray today. I'm betting I'll be watching 1080p content for at least 5 years. Whether on a 4K machine or not.

Yeah, most people I know don't own a blu-ray player, let alone blu-rays movies. Then again I'm waiting for a time when you can get 4k displays for close to today's prices and 4k movies for <$10.

Edited^
post #13 of 75 Old 04-07-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Yeah, most people I know don't own a blu-ray player, let alone blu-rays movies. Then again I'm waiting for a time when you can get 4k displays for close to today's prices and 4k movies for <$10.

Edited^
Why no Blu-ray?
post #14 of 75 Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbleypeg View Post

Why no Blu-ray?

People don't know or care. Can't tell you how many times neighbors and friends have tried to lend me DVDs, and I reject them because I don't want to watch SD when HD is available. I'd say around 97% of people could care less. Some of them even bought blu-ray players because the cost wasn't that much more, and they wanted to future proof, but then they continue to buy DVDs because they are cheaper. rolleyes.gif
mumbleypeg likes this.
post #15 of 75 Old 04-07-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Maybe we should all post when we buy a Bluray? smile.gifsmile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #16 of 75 Old 04-08-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Maybe we should all post when we buy a Bluray? smile.gifsmile.gif

Bought the Indiana Jones Collection for $29 on gold box the other day. Also bought Season 2 of Little House on the Prairie which has just been remastered to HD. biggrin.gif
post #17 of 75 Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

On a thread relevant note, this was posted in the 5030 thread:

"Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

It looks like the 5040 is on the horizon. the 5030 has been listed as discontinued in both the Best buy and Fry's electronics computer systems as of this week"

Nevermind. Someone replied:

"As someone who works at Best Buy - I checked out your claim.

I found it is FALSE"

frown.gif
post #18 of 75 Old 04-08-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
Maybe we should all post when we buy a Bluray?

I just bought Gravity ! biggrin.gif

I think there is going to be a longer overlap with 4K Blu Ray and Blu Ray than there was with DVD and Blu Ray. Although there are plenty of folks still watching DVD's ( I'm not one of them ).

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #19 of 75 Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
5040 of course is on the horizon. Its this years model at the end of 2014.it just won't be a 4K projector. Everyone knows that about the model number.
post #20 of 75 Old 04-08-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbeenjammin View Post

5040 of course is on the horizon. Its this years model at the end of 2014.it just won't be a 4K projector. Everyone knows that about the model number.

Good...don't want 4k yet.
post #21 of 75 Old 04-09-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The large majority of people proclaiming 4K is the next big thing are usually fall into one of these categories or both:

1. They have strong ties to the CE industry and they need it to be successful for their economic survival and/or
2. They are gear heads that just can't fathom why anyone would be content with the current HD format.

I am not against moving forward but the reality is that there is such little native 4K content and then factor on top their is no content delivery other than download or streaming at the moment. It all amounts for most to be less than compelled to jump on the 4K bandwagon.

Someday... But for most it will payoff to wait until the new standards are agreed upon and a universal format is available without having to buy into a proprietary system to get content.

post #22 of 75 Old 04-09-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

The large majority of people proclaiming 4K is the next big thing are usually fall into one of these categories or both:

1. They have strong ties to the CE industry and they need it to be successful for their economic survival and/or
2. They are gear heads that just can't fathom why anyone would be content with the current HD format.

I am not against moving forward but the reality is that there is such little native 4K content and then factor on top their is no content delivery other than download or streaming at the moment. It all amounts for most to be less than compelled to jump on the 4K bandwagon.

Someday... But for most it will payoff to wait until the new standards are agreed upon and a universal format is available without having to buy into a proprietary system to get content.

We will learn more about 4K BD at CEDIA and CES.

post #23 of 75 Old 04-09-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I would love a 4k projector, especially the ability to have a huge screen without SDE, but there's no way I'm willing to pay 2 - 10 Xs for it, even if there were content. There's a reason the 5030 is so popular - best bang for the buck. Good enough in every category (great in some), no MAJOR faults (thought I wish they'd quiet the fan in 3D and perfect fast mode), and a decent price. Add 4k, increase the price more than $500, and it's instantly off my list.
post #24 of 75 Old 04-09-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
If SDE bothers you go with an LCOS unit. The gap between pixels is virtually nil.

I think one reason the Sony's get dinged as soft is because you don't get that artificial sharp image because of large gap between pixels.
mumbleypeg likes this.

post #25 of 75 Old 04-09-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If SDE bothers you go with an LCOS unit. The gap between pixels is virtually nil.

I think one reason the Sony's get dinged as soft is because you don't get that artificial sharp image because of large gap between pixels.

Sure, same with Pannys, but do either carry a model with a price point within a a few (3) hundred of the 5030 and have as good a picture and a decent game mode? I don't want to spend $3k+
post #26 of 75 Old 04-09-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Sure, same with Pannys, but do either carry a model with a price point within a a few (3) hundred of the 5030 and have as good a picture and a decent game mode? I don't want to spend $3k+

you can get the JVC RS46 for around that... just give Mike a call at AVS sales
post #27 of 75 Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or how about a Sony B stock unit ? smile.gif

post #28 of 75 Old 05-10-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

People don't know or care. Can't tell you how many times neighbors and friends have tried to lend me DVDs, and I reject them because I don't want to watch SD when HD is available. I'd say around 97% of people could care less. Some of them even bought blu-ray players because the cost wasn't that much more, and they wanted to future proof, but then they continue to buy DVDs because they are cheaper. rolleyes.gif

That's because we live in the "fair" era where mediocrity will rule because it's not fair that some people can afford blu ray. Besides, SD and digital downloads are good enough, why be greedy and want the finest quality available when your neighbor can't have that. wink.gif

I am being sarcastic but unfortunately it's somewhat true. I don't know if 4K will ever come to fruition. Digital downloads are the accepted medium and very few people care about the quality loss. My hope is that 4K download compression tech will at least equal 1080P. I don't know what's going to happen with HD audio.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #29 of 75 Old 05-10-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Alot of people thought 3d was going to be a big hit and look what happened. Even 1080p hasn't taken over the market except on BD and the majority of people still don't own a BD player. I think worrying about getting a 4k display is just wasteing your time because for the next 5 years you won't have any material to take good advantage of owning one. Also if it does gain a foothold in the market the 4k panel you buy now will be half the price then. Just my 2 cents.
post #30 of 75 Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

Alot of people thought 3d was going to be a big hit and look what happened. Even 1080p hasn't taken over the market except on BD and the majority of people still don't own a BD player. I think worrying about getting a 4k display is just wasteing your time because for the next 5 years you won't have any material to take good advantage of owning one. Also if it does gain a foothold in the market the 4k panel you buy now will be half the price then. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with the above. I love 3D but it'll never replace 2D in my lifetime, if ever. 1080p on BD looks great most of the time; however, streaming doesn't always do it justice. 4K is being promoted heavily by some but I think it'll take years to settle on finalized specs and by that time just about everything will be streamed. I think you are going to need 4K streaming to get something that approaches 1080p quality so maybe 4K will find a place. The industry keeps pushing for the adoption of something new in the hope that the consumer will latch on and upgrade. It's mostly marketing -- if you're watching on a 60" set why do you need 4K resolution? Before long the industry pushers will be trying to sell us 8K and when they do they'll be telling us all about all the limitations of 4K and how 8K addresses those issues. At one time (not that long ago) 1080p was the panacea -- now 4K is and it won't be long before 8K will solve all the problems in your life. The promise was that technology would give us a better life with more leisure time and less stress. IMO for most of us the reality is just the opposite. Do I sound like a luddite? biggrin.gif
TCARCIO and Nexgen76 like this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page