DREAM Projector: LED plus 4K ... when do you think we will see it - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 97 Old 03-28-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post

+100

Here is a 2000 that you can get.smile.gifhttp://www.avsforum.com/t/1524294/f-s-panasonic-pt-ae2000u-home-theater-projector-400-needs-lamp

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 97 Old 03-29-2014, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

But do you actually think post production houses use these projectors for post work? Just because there was some gimmicky marketing stunt done by Panasonic means absolutely nothing when it comes to the overall quality to the picture compared to something costing more. For professional use no one in their right mind would consider using this projector for such work.

You said the AE2000 did not have or emulate the DCI colour gamut.

It does.

You said it is not used in post production facilities.

It was(by Laser pacific who were bought by Technicolor corp in 2011).

It is a fact that the AE1000/2000 Panasonic projector(s) has/have been used and has/have been esteemed by some very talented and respected individuals.

Steven Poster was vice president of the American Society of Cinematographers and the International Cinematographers Guild.

He did 2nd unit on Close Encounters Of The Third Kind---- a film that won an Oscar for it's cinematography.

That carries far more weight than anyone in this forum can muster.

And Poster says:

"The AE series projector has become a neccessary tool to make my movies"

It does not mean the AE2000 is the best projector in history.

It just means that it deserves respect.

And seeing it out class the Sony4K (on some material) and the JVCHD1(all be it 5 years back) I know the likes of Poster are right.
post #93 of 97 Old 03-29-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Its 2014, not 2008. This is too old

It may be old but that does not mean it never happened!

Panasonic AE projectors were used in a post production facility.

That speaks volumes for it's quality.

A quality I have appreciated more seeing it side by side with the Sony1000es.
post #94 of 97 Old 03-29-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post

It may be old but that does not mean it never happened!

Panasonic AE projectors were used in a post production facility.

That speaks volumes for it's quality.

A quality I have appreciated more seeing it side by side with the Sony1000es.

I am sure in 2005 they probably used a 720p to do the same type of work. You just made it seem as if they was using the ae2000 today. Seegs even thought I meant the ae2000 was too old to used today, so he was thinking the same thing, it seem like. But still, it probably made sense to use that projector back in 2008, not today
post #95 of 97 Old 03-29-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 327
have you upgraded to the 1100 motherboard yet? it takes noticeable edge off those older movies you mentioned. I was waiting for them to modify the RC (reduce the aggressiveness) and thankfully they did it with this upgrade.

I haven't seen the 2000 but I have seen several 8000's. imo, the JVC's with e-shift are superior in most ways I can think of. better OOTB color, contrast (without a doubt) and find the e-shift + MPC is more refined than the smooth screen technology. The 8000 was one of my last picks compared to all the other projectors I had here for the shoot-out.

if they want to stay competitive, they have to come up with something better at the end of the year.

post #96 of 97 Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

Well, my third Epson 5010 died recently and I dug out my old Panny ae2000. I forgot how much I love this image. I think the "organic" description nails it. I sit 7' from my 120" screen and pixel structure on the Epson was annoying. I really like Smoothscreen on the Panny. I would sure love that 4k laser though.

Yes---the combination of the Panasonic's Smoothscreen,The Detail Clarity Processor and it's awesome 16 bit digital colour processing make this ideal for interpreting both digital sources(Avatar,Avengers,The Social Network ect ect) and 35/70mm derived material(which is still the majority of flicks).

Other projectors have better black levels and contrast ratios but suffer from either screendoor effects or/and colour fringing----making them suited to more modern digitally aquired movies(e.g Oblivion or Pixar animation stuff) but providing " digitally" harsh renditions of 35mm sourced flicks.
post #97 of 97 Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

have you upgraded to the 1100 motherboard yet? it takes noticeable edge off those older movies you mentioned. I was waiting for them to modify the RC (reduce the aggressiveness) and thankfully they did it with this upgrade.

I haven't seen the 2000 but I have seen several 8000's. imo, the JVC's with e-shift are superior in most ways I can think of. better OOTB color, contrast (without a doubt) and find the e-shift + MPC is more refined than the smooth screen technology. The 8000 was one of my last picks compared to all the other projectors I had here for the shoot-out.

if they want to stay competitive, they have to come up with something better at the end of the year.

Not yet mate
I am hoping to do that later this year(I live in the UK)

To be fair----for a while i was using only the reference mode with the auto iris on full----this looked amazing on stuff like The Great Gatsby(digitally shot on Red) and Oblivion but was way too agressive for older 35mm flicks like Das Boot.

I have found that the Cinema1 option on the Sony to be a nice compromise(I think Joerod also uses it)---but you do lose a bit of sharpness on those modern flicks---but gain a measure of palatable grain reduction on some of the older stuff.

I have packed my 4K away for the moment----and will take my Panny through to the end----it is already on 2000hours +.

If you go into the Sony's Cinema 1 's advanced settings I think you will find SmoothGradation and MPEG NR are set on low(or middle) which contributes to it's slightly softer appearance.
In reference mode all those options(NR, MPEG NR and Smooth Gradation) are off.
When I have turned some of those on low or middle(in reference mode) I found the picture to be unnaturally soft.

The Panny's smooth screen +detail clarity processor gives a very organic softness(but still relatively sharp!)

I think someone on the Panny8000 thread did a comparison between the 80000 and AE2000 using both test pattern functions on both projectors and found the 2000 to be sharper!(probably a misconvergence issue---a common problem on the 8000--so i gather----maybe you had one of those?)
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page