AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   DREAM Projector: LED plus 4K ... when do you think we will see it (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1522839-dream-projector-led-plus-4k-when-do-you-think-we-will-see.html)

gpctv02 03-16-2014 02:34 PM

and who will make it first

I say Panasonic ... That's why they didn't come out with a new model this year

blee0120 03-16-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpctv02 View Post

Why Panasonic? Why not somebody who actually makes a good brand.

Seegs108 03-16-2014 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpctv02 View Post

I think they didn't come out with a new model this year because they had poor sales with the last two projectors and they're contemplating leaving the market for good.

Also, what technology will the 4K panel be based on? Panasonic doesn't manufacture their own micro-display devices. They would need to lease Sony's SXRD chip for them to bring a 4K product to market. I don't think Sony would buy into this at this time. They have a virtual monopoly on 4K within the consumer projector market. There's no reason for them to give this up, especially considering their financial situation. WIthout another 4K micro-display device available how in the world would Panasonic do this. Also, if Epson, TI, and JVC (the only other major players in the micro-display manufacturing market) finally introduce a 4K micro-display Panasonic will NOT be the first one to bring it to market. Epson will incorporate into their projectors first, JVC will do the same, and TI will most likely give it to Sim2 and/or Runco first. Panasonic will have to wait at least 1 year after these companies before they could lease the micro-display for their own product.

gpctv02 03-16-2014 04:11 PM

OK, so Panasonic is WRONG ... who is right ??? ... why hasn't Epson ever talked LED?

That's what we are all waiting for ... no more bulbs ... plus 4K ... maybe

space2001 03-16-2014 04:14 PM

There is a lot Coming you guys will see.

Seegs108 03-16-2014 04:15 PM

No one knows. If I were to make an educated guess, I would say JVC will be the next to jump into the market. They seem to be the only company poised to compete with Sony at the moment. TI hasn't released any official word on a consumer 4K DMD, but maybe they have something in the works? I hope it isn't Epson. No offense to them, but most people in this subforum don't really care that much for 3LCD projectors.

Seegs108 03-16-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

There is a lot Coming you guys will see.

And this is coming from what rumors?

space2001 03-16-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

And this is coming from what rumors?

Sony is pushing for 4k and they have 2 laser types in the works. There blue Laser with Phosphor into white light. Also they have been working on there Scanning Laser Tech.

J.P 03-17-2014 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Sony is pushing for 4k and they have 2 laser types in the works. There blue Laser with Phosphor into white light. Also they have been working on there Scanning Laser Tech.

I am confused, is this relevant information for home-cinema projector ? Or are you talking about Sony`s "scanning laser" technology(LBS) for pico projector(mobile phone) ?

The blue laser with phosphor is already used in LCD projector from Sony, and will also come in their new furniture like(4K), short throw projector. Isn't this phosphor light sort of expected in future 4K projector from Sony, at least in the "high-end" segment ?

fierce_gt 03-19-2014 01:59 PM

i agree with LED or laser, anything that offers instant on/off capabilities and a life long enough to consider it 'forever'(as in i'll want to upgrade it long before it runs out).

but 4k/uhd would probably be about 10th on my list, things i'd rather see include:
-super dark black levels
-high native contrast, either without use of DI, or with a DI that is both silent and unnoticeable
-low input lag
-good motion handling
-good control over brightness(i don't need a bright projector, but i don't want to be limited to something around 500-600lumens all the time just because that's what i prefer for movies)
-lens memory of course!
-and all that other stuff that relates to good PQ(color, gradation, sharpness, etc)

if all that is good, then uhd would be a happy bonus, but i wouldn't want to give up something like black levels or contrast to have LED or UHD.

AV Science Sales 5 03-19-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

i agree with LED or laser, anything that offers instant on/off capabilities and a life long enough to consider it 'forever'(as in i'll want to upgrade it long before it runs out).

but 4k/uhd would probably be about 10th on my list, things i'd rather see include:
-super dark black levels
-high native contrast, either without use of DI, or with a DI that is both silent and unnoticeable
-low input lag
-good motion handling
-good control over brightness(i don't need a bright projector, but i don't want to be limited to something around 500-600lumens all the time just because that's what i prefer for movies)
-lens memory of course!
-and all that other stuff that relates to good PQ(color, gradation, sharpness, etc)

if all that is good, then uhd would be a happy bonus, but i wouldn't want to give up something like black levels or contrast to have LED or UHD.

Then you need to look at something like this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema

fierce_gt 03-20-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Then you need to look at something like this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1522097/new-player-coming-for-2k-dci-cinema

that's not gonna happen unless: http://www.hbs.edu/Pages/default.aspx

i forgot to put 'affordable' on my top ten list. none of this is any good if it's cheaper to go to a commercial theatre biggrin.gif

AV Science Sales 5 03-20-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

that's not gonna happen unless: http://www.hbs.edu/Pages/default.aspx

i forgot to put 'affordable' on my top ten list. none of this is any good if it's cheaper to go to a commercial theatre biggrin.gif

Has to be cheaper than going to the movie theater? Afraid I blew that one a long time ago. smile.gif If you include the cost of upgrades, I bet a lot of people here don't make that cut.

fierce_gt 03-21-2014 10:17 PM

I don't mean like short term. I don't expect to build a system for 100bux or anything.

I think the same way with reno's and repairs. if I can buy the tools for the same cost as paying a pro, I'm just going to buy the tools and do it myself as often as possible. while I may have spent 10-15grand on my theater, I've watched 1000's of movies in it, so 15bux a show is a pretty good deal. even if I never would have gone to the theatre 1000times, I can twist the math to justify the expense tongue.gif

if I spend 50-60grand, I gotta watch a lot more movies wink.gif

AV Science Sales 5 03-22-2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

I don't mean like short term. I don't expect to build a system for 100bux or anything.

I think the same way with reno's and repairs. if I can buy the tools for the same cost as paying a pro, I'm just going to buy the tools and do it myself as often as possible. while I may have spent 10-15grand on my theater, I've watched 1000's of movies in it, so 15bux a show is a pretty good deal. even if I never would have gone to the theatre 1000times, I can twist the math to justify the expense tongue.gif

if I spend 50-60grand, I gotta watch a lot more movies wink.gif

I was not talking short term. I was looking at, if I went once a week at $30 a pop for the rest of my life. I may not live long enough to offset what I have now, much less what I upgraded from or will upgrade in the future. (7 speakers, 6 subs with one dual opposed, five amps, curved screen with masking, projector, A-lens and powered slide)

fierce_gt 03-22-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

I was not talking short term. I was looking at, if I went once a week at $30 a pop for the rest of my life. I may not live long enough to offset what I have now, much less what I upgraded from or will upgrade in the future. (7 speakers, 6 subs with one dual opposed, five amps, curved screen with masking, projector, A-lens and powered slide)

then instead of looking at what it would cost for you to go, compare it to what it would cost for you to rent the whole theatre to yourself tongue.gif

but seriously, I have other interests as well, and this is just the way I try to keep them balanced. I don't want to pay too much for the 'convenience' of watching at home

barth2k 03-22-2014 06:01 PM

Sometimes I do wonder why I don't just go to the movies and forget all this stuff?

But anyway, I think more than 4k I want something I can turn on and off or leave running all day and never have to think twice about it.

blee0120 03-22-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Sometimes I do wonder why I don't just go to the movies and forget all this stuff?

But anyway, I think more than 4k I want something I can turn on and off or leave running all day and never have to think twice about it.

Thats why I love my LED projector smile.gif

fierce_gt 03-23-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

yup, I want that, either with a price low enough I can run dual projectors and use the LED as a 'daily driver' so to speak. or with enough performance that I don't feel i'm giving up anything compared to a traditional projector.

I have a feeling i'm more likely to add a second projector, and then maybe in a few years the prices of the 'good' ones will be what I consider reasonable

blee0120 03-23-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

yup, I want that, either with a price low enough I can run dual projectors and use the LED as a 'daily driver' so to speak. or with enough performance that I don't feel i'm giving up anything compared to a traditional projector.

I have a feeling i'm more likely to add a second projector, and then maybe in a few years the prices of the 'good' ones will be what I consider reasonable

Sometimes deals come up, but its rare. I got a good enough deal that I'm completely satisfied with.

TheSony4KRises 03-23-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Why Panasonic? Why not somebody who actually makes a good brand.

Panasonic is a good brand mate.

I have owned a 4K Sony 1000es for nearly 2 years.
I also own a Panasonic ae2000 that I have had for 5 years.

If my Sony 4k was so superior I would have ditched the Panny 2 years ago.

Instead I find myself coming back to the Panny time and again depending on the material I am watching(catalogue titles shot on 35mm and mastered at 2K).

To imply that Panasonic is not a good brand is blatant misinformation and practically borders on disinformation.

Take your blatant JVC fan boyism and spew it somewhere-else

blee0120 03-23-2014 02:08 PM

I have owned a Panasonic 900, 3000, and 4000. Including 20 other projectors. Panasonic isn't close to a JVC. I haven't had a JVC for 1.5 years until 5 days ago. Also, my former Mit HC8000 is definitely a better projector, as well as my DPI LED. Just because you like to still watch your AE2000 with low qquality content, does not mean its a good enough projector to live with. If it was, you would not have the 1000ES as your primary movie projector. So, don't get so emotional, no one is paying your to give your loving opinions of a company that does not make HT projectors anymore. Not too many would choose any Panasonic projector on the $3000+ forum and they would consider a 4k from a Sony, JVC, or Epson.

AV Science Sales 5 03-23-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Pretty much every time I go to a movie theater, I am disappointed. The image nor sound is as good as what I have. Plus I get to recline the seat. smile.gif

Seegs108 03-23-2014 03:55 PM

I think the last "great" Panasonic projector was the PT-AE4000. Since then they haven't kept up with the rising curve in picture quality. The value of the AE7000 and AE8000 were among the worst in their price bracket according to several reviews. They do have brand recognition and previous Panasonic projector owners swear by them so they still sold quite a few units. I'd like to see Panasonic continue to produce projectors, especially when 4K comes. The more competition the better the value we usually get as each company tries to bring us a product at a certain price point that will entice us over another product. The less competition, the less we get in picture quality value at a price point.

ultra 150 pilot 03-23-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post

Instead I find myself coming back to the Panny time and again depending on the material I am watching(catalogue titles shot on 35mm and mastered at 2K).

To imply that Panasonic is not a good brand is blatant misinformation and practically borders on disinformation.

Wow that doesn't say a lot for sony!

noah katz 03-23-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

-super dark black levels
Quote:

Note his first two points; I don't think 1600:1 is going to do it.

AV Science Sales 5 03-23-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Note his first two points; I don't think 1600:1 is going to do it.

Read the thread again. It will not be 1600:1 since it will have a DI, so if it is a good implementation, then it meets his requirements. Also have you seen some of these 2K DCI projectors with 1600:1 or 2,000:1 contrast? They look better than you think they will.

Seegs108 03-24-2014 12:32 AM

Quote:

Read the thread again. It will not be 1600:1 since it will have a DI, so if it is a good implementation, then it meets his requirements. Also have you seen some of these 2K DCI projectors with 1600:1 or 2,000:1 contrast? They look better than you think they will.

Yeah, I agree. It amazes me at how good some of these DCI projectors look in theaters considering how little contrast they have in comparison to home theater projectors. Most of the commercial theaters around me have Sony 4K SXRD machines and they all look brilliant.

Andreas21 03-24-2014 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post

If your Pana looks better than the VW1000 with catalog titles shot on 35mm film and mastered in 2k it looks better with most content and your VW1000 is broken.smile.gif

Andreas21 03-24-2014 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Yeah, I agree. It amazes me at how good some of these DCI projectors look in theaters considering how little contrast they have in comparison to home theater projectors. Most of the commercial theaters around me have Sony 4K SXRD machines and they all look brilliant.

If some of them has this projector http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-projectors/cat-digitalcinema/product-SRX-R515P/ it has quite good on/off if the numbers are correct.