Is one "ooooh" "aaaah" moment worth all this "upgrading"? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Is one "ooooh" "aaaah" moment worth all this "upgrading"?
Craig Peer's Avatar Craig Peer 08:03 PM 03-25-2014
Looks like it's getting there Jon !!

Jon Middleton's Avatar Jon Middleton 09:09 PM 03-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Looks like it's getting there Jon !!

Hopefully by June! Lots to do yet, but it will be nice. I spent the day trying to get my old Rotel to work properly. Put a drop of solder on the ground for one of the output jacks, seems to be okay. If not, it's out of there. May be time for an upgrade.
humbland's Avatar humbland 08:32 AM 03-27-2014
I came to HT from high end audio, years ago. This thread brought back memories of Advent, JBL, Infinity, Magnaplanars and various custom made ribbon designs...
When we went to HT, I got on a high end subwoofer kick with Velodyne, then twin high end SVS that could literally shake the entire house.
A huge "aahh" moment came with a HT downgrade.. I sold the twin SVS and got a good HSU sub. Then we put butkickers in the couch. The "feel" of the tactile transducers adds a huge amount to movies. Plus as an upgrade, it's a relative bargain. smile.gif
Trepidati0n's Avatar Trepidati0n 11:08 AM 03-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I have done the set up in a ball room of a Wilson Wham (assisted David Wilson) and we used a signal generator and played each frequency from 40 to 20. At the low frequencies you start shaking the chandelers and ratteling the windows. There really is no sound to hear. You feel it. Power was not an issue. In a small room, you get bass doubling. you can hear the doubled frequencies.

I don't care if you have 18k+ posts and joined at the dawn of time. Your post completely goes against vetted science.
blazar's Avatar blazar 05:11 PM 03-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

I came to HT from high end audio, years ago. This thread brought back memories of Advent, JBL, Infinity, Magnaplanars and various custom made ribbon designs...
When we went to HT, I got on a high end subwoofer kick with Velodyne, then twin high end SVS that could literally shake the entire house.
A huge "aahh" moment came with a HT downgrade.. I sold the twin SVS and got a good HSU sub. Then we put butkickers in the couch. The "feel" of the tactile transducers adds a huge amount to movies. Plus as an upgrade, it's a relative bargain. smile.gif

I agree, i love what the clark synthesis transducers do for the experience of both music and movies... Even with more than enough subwoofer power in my case, the transfucers help. No worries about frequency response nulls and so they can "fill in" in the vibration spectrum.
humbland's Avatar humbland 06:17 PM 03-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I agree, i love what the clark synthesis transducers do for the experience of both music and movies... Even with more than enough subwoofer power in my case, the transfucers help. No worries about frequency response nulls and so they can "fill in" in the vibration spectrum.

+1
I remember the first time putting the "Pod Race" scene from Star Wars on with the new Buttkickers. Definitely an "oooh aaaah" moment. smile.gif
JHouse's Avatar JHouse 02:52 PM 03-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n View Post

I don't care if you have 18k+ posts and joined at the dawn of time. Your post completely goes against vetted science.

You folks have me SOOOOOO confused with the low bass thing now.

I got an SVS sub for the theater upstairs too, and creates quite an impact, literally.
JHouse's Avatar JHouse 03:00 PM 03-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post

I too remember the infinity ribbon designs, piezoelectric tweeters from Motorola, McIntosh equipment (which I could never afford) Klipshorns, Dual turntables with the "direct drive" and "belt drive" controversy, moving coil cartridges, Bose 901 speakers, Akai reel to reels, Audio Technica cartridges, Magnapan speakers, Quandrophonic systems, and the new digital time delay boxes, parametric equalizers, hell...Dolby for a cassette deck The first DBX boxes, and that gizmo that removed the pops and clicks from records. I loved that Marantz equipment, the blue light, and Dynaco, where you put it together yourself, and then Class A amplifiers, and the tube vs transistor controversy, and Koss Pro4AA headphones on which I first heard Lennon sing "Mother" which I will never forget. I remember when each of them was the new thing (if only new to me). I first became audio aware in 1969.

Remember, they used to stack Advent speakers to double the power handling and increased base output. And then all the receiver manufacturers started separating their AM/FM receivers from the amps and called them "separates" so they could get more money for two boxes that did exactly the same thing the same way, but looked a lot cooler.

Coincidentally, it was my "downgrade" which spurred this thread. I just figured out my soundbar/sub problem, and am really happy now. Still haven't watched anything upstairs since January. What else is an isolation chamber good for? biggrin.gif

My first Pioneer is below: The SX525 - a whopping 13 watts rms per channel (2 channels of course).
Then the monster Pioneer SX1010 which was like the CBHonda 750 4-cylinder of its day.
And then a beautiful Marantz.

millerwill's Avatar millerwill 03:27 PM 03-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHouse View Post

I too remember the infinity ribbon designs, piezoelectric tweeters from Motorola, McIntosh equipment (which I could never afford) Klipshorns, Dual turntables with the "direct drive" and "belt drive" controversy, moving coil cartridges, Akai reel to reels, Audio Technica cartridges, Magnapan speakers, Quandrophonic systems, and the new digital time delay boxes, parametric equalizers, hell...Dolby for a cassette deck I loved that Marantz equipment, the blue light, and Dynaco, where you put it together yourself. I remember when each of them was the new thing (if only new to me). I first became audio aware in 1969.

Remember, they used to stack Advent speakers to double the power handling and increased base output. And then all the receiver manufacturers started separating their AM/FM receivers from the amps and called them "separates" so they could get more money for two boxes that did exactly the same thing the same way, but looked a lot cooler.

Coincidentally, it was my "downgrade" which spurred this thread. I just figured out my soundbar/sub problem, and am really happy now. Still haven't watched anything upstairs since January. What else is an isolation chamber good for? biggrin.gif

Ah, 1969: that's when I finished a postdoc and took a position at Berkeley. Bought a pair of AR3a's, a Dual 1019 changer, and a Sony stereo receiver (50 watts/ch, IIRC). Thought I was set forever.

I actually sold the AR3a's a couple of yrs ago, for just about the same # of $ as I bought them for.
JHouse's Avatar JHouse 03:35 PM 03-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Ah, 1969: that's when I finished a postdoc and took a position at Berkeley. Bought a pair of AR3a's, a Dual 1019 changer, and a Sony stereo receiver (50 watts/ch, IIRC). Thought I was set forever.

We used to get loans for stereos. And I think, in hindsight, you may actually have been set forever.

Check above for a trip down memory lane. I edited that post about 15 times. biggrin.gif
millerwill's Avatar millerwill 03:42 PM 03-29-2014
Quote:

We used to get loans for stereos. And I think, in hindsight, you may actually have been set forever.

Check above for a trip down memory lane. I edited that post about 15 times. biggrin.gif

Great pics!
JHouse's Avatar JHouse 03:59 PM 03-29-2014
You got me looking on Fleabay for this stuff, and BOY are they proud of this old stuff. And most of it has major functional problems, and the ones that are fixed make me think, it won't be 10 minutes until something else breaks. The feeling has passed. Thank goodness. biggrin.gif

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARANTZ-4400-FULLY-RESTORED-WC43-CABINET-SQA-2-PERFECT-GREEN-SCOPE-DISPLAY/281291757378?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D21235%26meid%3D5835938936287692228%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D9374%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D171276592519&rt=nc

I'm probably breaking some kind of rule here. rolleyes.gif

I was trying to remember the Phase Linear amps, and looked them up to find they were famous for breaking and fast. All my dreams are dashed.
millerwill's Avatar millerwill 04:21 PM 03-29-2014
Quote:

You got me looking on Fleabay for this stuff, and BOY are they proud of this old stuff. And most of it has major functional problems, and the ones that are fixed make me think, it won't be 10 minutes until something else breaks. The feeling has passed. Thank goodness. biggrin.gif

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARANTZ-4400-FULLY-RESTORED-WC43-CABINET-SQA-2-PERFECT-GREEN-SCOPE-DISPLAY/281291757378?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D21235%26meid%3D5835938936287692228%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D9374%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D171276592519&rt=nc

I'm probably breaking some kind of rule here. rolleyes.gif

I was trying to remember the Phase Linear amps, and looked them up to find they were famous for breaking and fast. All my dreams are dashed.

Yes, the AR3a's were great for their day, but with Mark Seaton Catalysts, and SubMersiveHP, I certainly don't reminisce about them.
JHouse's Avatar JHouse 04:45 PM 03-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Yes, the AR3a's were great for their day, but with Mark Seaton Catalysts, and SubMersiveHP, I certainly don't reminisce about them.

I'm afraid to google that.
humbland's Avatar humbland 05:33 PM 03-29-2014
Quote:

I'm afraid to google that.

+1 on the AR3a's.
We had some Voice of the Theater speakers that took up half the room.
Dynaco and Marantz were where it was happening. Tubes...we had powered ventilation in the closet with the preamps and amps.
I had forgotten about the Koss Pro4A Headphones. I recall the White album on them. Superb. Audio heaven. Do you remember the original Senheisers?
The under 50 crowd here probably has no idea what we are talking about.
Keep on trying new things. I have been reading about 3D audio. Real time room ambiance feedback that simulates a live performance...
It's a fun hobby, but sometimes hard on the wallet. smile.gif
dragonbud0's Avatar dragonbud0 10:49 AM 03-31-2014
I can't believe how much they are asking for used AR3a in fleabay; someone is making money for sure; it's great for the economy!

After 20 or so projectors, my latest JVC is getting old again but I'm just too lazy to ship out a 30+ pound beast, a back breaking exercise!

Audio wise, I'm still satisfy with my 2nd pair of Maggie.
First ... 2  3  4

Up
Mobile  Desktop