Need help with projector selection for 150 in screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I am in the process of buying a projector for my dedicated theater room.  I have a 1.3 gain white screen that i want to project on.  I was told by a couple of installers that the Epson 5030Ub i had been eying would not drive the screen.  I was confused at first since all i ever read about the projector was how bright it was.  They actually pointed me to the Sony HW55es, which is rated at lower lumens.  I would prefer to stay with the Epson for the 3D, but i will do the most of my viewing in 2D.  Please help, especially anyone with a similar screen size setup.   Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 36
While Epson is brighter in its brightest mode, when calibrated to D65 Sony is actually brighter. I won't give you figures right now, I assume you might look it up yourself (there are tons of reviews for both of these projectors). And iirc, Sony HW50 (previous model) is actually brighter than HW55. Other than these two projectors, there are some very bright DLP projectors (Optoma HD25e, for example). But I believe Sony HW50 is a better choice overall.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by shueher View Post

I am in the process of buying a projector for my dedicated theater room.  I have a 1.3 gain white screen that i want to project on.  I was told by a couple of installers that the Epson 5030Ub i had been eying would not drive the screen.  I was confused at first since all i ever read about the projector was how bright it was.  They actually pointed me to the Sony HW55es, which is rated at lower lumens.  I would prefer to stay with the Epson for the 3D, but i will do the most of my viewing in 2D.  Please help, especially anyone with a similar screen size setup.   Thanks!

What screen and what size?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 23
How far will you be sitting from screen ?

This is my Epson 6030 in Natural Eco Mode at 118.5 " width
Old 03-19-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the replies.  It is an Elitech 150' inch high contrast white 1.3 gain screen.  There will be two rows of seating so the front row will be about 18 feet and the second about 21 feet from the screen.    I do have the space for the throw distance i'm sure if i went with the Epson 5030/6030UB and the Sony HW55es. 

Old 03-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That is a very large acreen, You should go to Projector Central , there is a calculator there to see how many lumens you would have at those figures ?
Old 03-19-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
That is a very large acreen, You should go to Projector Central , there is a calculator there to see how many lumens you would have at those figures ?

Do not ( I repeat - DO NOT ) use the lumen numbers at Projector Central - those are manufacturer's spec. numbers - they aren't real. Go find a decent actual review - Sound and Vision magazine, projectorreviews.com - with actual measured lumens ( calibrated lumens are even more accurate ).

The numbers at Projector Central are " foot lamberts in Heaven " numbers................rolleyes.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!