Runco Projectors And Fan Dust Build-Up - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-19-2014, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have owned a Runco Q-750D LED projector and enjoyed it immensely for the past 2 1/2 years; The unit has performed faultlessly after thousands of hours of use but for the past couple of months i have been concerned about dust build-up on its fans as i used a flashlight to check them out and could see a small but growing amount of dust around its blades, specifically the air intake fan.
The Q-750D uses what i would describe as that standard Runco metal cover in black/silver which when screwed in place in my unit it covers the fans at a distance of about 3 inches away so that using a vacuum cleaner from the outside of the case does no good : too far a distance plus there is a metal mesh that prevents insertion of any kind of small vacuum attachment capable of reaching that deep inside the unit.
I just contacted Runco by phone inquiring about the procedure and was told that it cannot be done by the user and must be done by a Runco authorized repair station which to my ears is very/very disappointing news.
Why make it so difficult (in fact, unavailable) for owners of these Runco projectors the capability of doing something as simple, recommended and expected as vacuuming fans for dust build-up ?
Does the same apply to every Runco projector ?
My unit is sitting on a table in the middle of the room which i imagined would make vacuuming the fans a fairly easy procedure as long as i knew exactly which screws to remove from the metal cover to access the fans; I can just imagine how much more incredibly difficult it would be having to remove such huge and heavy projectors from a ceiling mount or custom wall mount, package the unit, hopefully find a local Runco repair station to do the "job" at a reasonable time, all that at a cost i imagine would be hundreds of dollars !
The Runco rep was very surprised with my question and told me that he had never had similar inquiry; He pointed out several times that the Runco uses a sealed DLP light engine, which i was fully aware, and therefore does not need any vacuuming !
I reminded him in turn of the danger of dust build-up blocking air intake or exhaust fan blades which would slowly but surely start to increase internal temperature that could at some point lead to failure for same parts more prone to heat degradation, and he again seemed very surprised by my statement.
Does anyone here have any suggestions for this conundrum ? Any other Runco owners that feel likewise, concerned about dust build-up on fan blades with the only option given is having it done at a repair facility ?
Any help would be much appreciated...
Marcos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
The light engine is not hermetically sealed and dust can still get in. It's unlikely though because there are gasket type seals on certain parts of the light engine. This does not make it 100% dust proof. I've seen dust get inside DLP light paths many times. As far as Runco support goes, I've typically found them useless. They always want you to go through a dealer (who are normally clueless to most of the issues) or sending it to a certified repair center. I would imagine if they found out you took apart your projector it would void your warranty. This is pretty commonplace among many electronics companies. Getting the chassis cover off shouldn't be difficult if you feel the dust build up is somehow hurting the projector (overheating issues). Don't expect instructions from Runco on how to do it properly. They don't give information like that out.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #3 of 5 Old 03-19-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

The light engine is not hermetically sealed and dust can still get in. It's unlikely though because there are gasket type seals on certain parts of the light engine. This does not make it 100% dust proof. I've seen dust get inside DLP light paths many times. As far as Runco support goes, I've typically found them useless. They always want you to go through a dealer (who are normally clueless to most of the issues) or sending it to a certified repair center. I would imagine if they found out you took apart your projector it would void your warranty. This is pretty commonplace among many electronics companies. Getting the chassis cover off shouldn't be difficult if you feel the dust build up is somehow hurting the projector (overheating issues). Don't expect instructions from Runco on how to do it properly. They don't give information like that out.

Yep. I have had a dust blob in a DLP before and I am not talking about a cheap made DLP.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-23-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I wonder how difficult it is to change standard UHP bulbs in these similar looking Runco projectors that have the black metal case with that silver "bump" on top.
Is there a trap door for direct access for lamp replacement ? What about vacuuming the fans, same difficulty as on my Runco LED projector ?
If no to both questions, then i wonder if engineers at Runco have ever heard of the term "ergonomics", or did they design these cases intending for customers to pay local Runco dealers for at-home lamp replacement and cleaning maintenance ?
My unit is not under warranty any longer and at some point sooner or later i am going to try to remove some of the screws holding the top of the case to its bottom; The problem is that i see so many screws around the case that i don't even know where to start and the Runco rep was of no help whatsoever concerning this matter.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 171
My Runco RS900 (which has the same chassis as your 750i) has a direct access side "door" that you can remove to replace the bulb. As far as dust goes, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I just sold the unit to someone in China. Hopefully they don't have any issue with dust.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page