Strange business niche - selling discontinued projectors for astronomical prices on Amazon?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-22-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Has anyone noticed a weird phenomenon - old electronics long discontinued being available for purchase, new, on Amazon, for insanely high prices?

For example, an outfit called "Moe's AV" has the Joe Kane Samsung SP-A800B listed at $8,000. Another company called "crawford's superstore" has it at $9,000. Crawford also has Joe Kane's 720P model at $3,000.

I messaged Moe's, and actually got a reply saying he wouldn't take less than $8,000 for this six year old 1080p DLP projector.

I only see this phenomena on Amazon. Continuing with more evidence, the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset (developer kit) was available at $300 direct from the manufacturer while it was listed on Amazon at over $900.

Is this a viable business? Does anyone click and buy electronics at 300% of their market value?

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've emailed Crawford's a couple times and it appears to me they are a scam business with no physical location and no inventory. Moe's looks to be the same. Why Amazon allows these sellers to remain is a good question.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183

I have seen this at various outlets for years. To a large degree I think they exist over the entire life of the product but simply become obvious when everyone else has closed-out the model and moved on. That or they pick up discontinued products for pennies on the dollar and try to make a killing. Sell one and make $3,000 or sell 30 and make $100 per sale? Based on their volume I'm sure they need their margins. :) 

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #4 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Factor in the "dumb" rich or "Men who, though clever at making money, would be easily duped and controlled" as stated in Intolerable Cruelty, add "I hate computers" and over 65 and they make a living in a neighborhood with the right demographic, the many active young in spirit seniors who participate here excluded of course!

My system:
post #5 of 12 Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

I've emailed Crawford's a couple times and it appears to me they are a scam business with no physical location and no inventory. Moe's looks to be the same. Why Amazon allows these sellers to remain is a good question.

Those two stores have been reported to Amazon many times and Amazon does nothing about it. Amazon does not care, just as long as they get their cut.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Just to play devil's advocate.

Those prices aren't "that" bad. MSRP on the Samsung was $9,999 (according to PJC). As a reference, MSRP on the Planar 8150 was $7999 and it's still being sold (as the Runco LS5) for roughly the same street price as it was when the Samsung was out.

Yes, they haven't really caught up with the times I suppose, but it's not like they're still selling it for more than list. And despite being 6 years old, it's not like DLP tech has advanced a lot since then. Prices for high end DLPs really haven't dropped in the past 6 years despite the technology being largely stagnant.

As for the Oculus Rift, it's not clear exactly what you're saying, but you can't buy it anymore, so I can see it going for a premium on a 3rd party site.

As for is it just Amazon, Ebay is just as bad, if not worse, with people selling (and buying) things for more than they sell for through "official" channels.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #7 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
They may be making sales to business customers who, for a variety possible reasons, absolutely must replace a broken unit with a new identical unit. Sometimes the cost to spec-out a replacement is significantly greater than just buying an over-priced, obsolete unit that is known to be fit for purpose instead.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
For example, an outfit called "Moe's AV" has the Joe Kane Samsung SP-A800B listed at $8,000. Another company called "crawford's superstore" has it at $9,000. Crawford also has Joe Kane's 720P model at $3,000.

Maybe there is a collector's market now for " vintage " projectors ! wink.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #9 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

They may be making sales to business customers who, for a variety possible reasons, absolutely must replace a broken unit with a new identical unit. Sometimes the cost to spec-out a replacement is significantly greater than just buying an over-priced, obsolete unit that is known to be fit for purpose instead.

Nah, just trying to rip off an unsuspecting Joe Blow.
gamermwm likes this.

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Maybe there is a collector's market now for " vintage " projectors ! wink.gif

I always wanted a Qualia 004 since it was a pioneering projector for it's time. The cool factor is high, 95 lbs of mass, etc. Then I saw the insane price for the replacement lamps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-LMPH-700-Qualia-004-lamp-New-in-the-factory-box/121287419085

The 600/1100 lamps even at full retail look like a bargain

My 1100 will be vintage by the fall, your lumis is an antique!! biggrin.gif

post #11 of 12 Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I always wanted a Qualia 004 since it was a pioneering projector for it's time. The cool factor is high, 95 lbs of mass, etc. Then I saw the insane price for the replacement lamps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-LMPH-700-Qualia-004-lamp-New-in-the-factory-box/121287419085

The 600/1100 lamps even at full retail look like a bargain

My 1100 will be vintage by the fall, your lumis is an antique!! biggrin.gif

If you have more than two projectors and some of them are more than three years old, then you have a vintage collection. Dog years are 7 to 1. Projector years are 10 to 1. smile.gif

Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

post #12 of 12 Old 03-30-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Here's a link to an old model but new Panasonic AE 1000 selling for $4,000! Here's the good news -- free shipping. biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MJD43Y/ref=asc_df_B000MJD43Y3065758?smid=A3LWB3F8S78R2Z&tag=nextagusmp0351359-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000MJD43Y
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page