AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/)
-   -   Counterfeit JVC D-ILA projectors? Technically feasible? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1523898-counterfeit-jvc-d-ila-projectors-technically-feasible.html)

chrisreeves 03-23-2014 10:35 AM

JVC's website has a big warning saying that counterfeit projectors are being sold in the U.S. and that their procision projectors are not sold online.

What does this mean exactly - that outfits have copied the case design and are building pj's with cheaper older imaging chips inside?

Counterfeiters wouldn't have the manufacturing capability to build projectors that are actually perfectly functional copies of the current-generation chips, right - with e-shift, 4K inputs, etc. - right?

fierce_gt 03-23-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post

JVC's website has a big warning saying that counterfeit projectors are being sold in the U.S. and that their procision projectors are not sold online.

What does this mean exactly - that outfits have copied the case design and are building pj's with cheaper older imaging chips inside?

Counterfeiters wouldn't have the manufacturing capability to build projectors that are actually perfectly functional copies of the current-generation chips, right - with e-shift, 4K inputs, etc. - right?

if they could copy the results, they'd be better off not calling them 'jvc' and branding their own legally.

I would assume that they only look the part

but what concerns me is the statement of not selling projectors online, cause that's about the only way to buy one in many cases... so i'm not sure what their definition of 'online' means. maybe they don't considering buying a projector from a store with a website as an 'online' purchase?

AV Science Sales 5 03-23-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

if they could copy the results, they'd be better off not calling them 'jvc' and branding their own legally.

I would assume that they only look the part

but what concerns me is the statement of not selling projectors online, cause that's about the only way to buy one in many cases... so i'm not sure what their definition of 'online' means. maybe they don't considering buying a projector from a store with a website as an 'online' purchase?

Buying on line means, click and buy. Any place that has click and buy of new JVC projectors, I would avoid. This is why you have to deal with a sales person to buy.

fierce_gt 03-24-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Buying on line means, click and buy. Any place that has click and buy of new JVC projectors, I would avoid. This is why you have to deal with a sales person to buy.

interesting. I bought mine online after emailing a rep, but they did offer a 'click and buy' option if you packaged it with a screen. I could not have bought JUST the projector without contacting a rep though

AV Science Sales 5 03-24-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

interesting. I bought mine online after emailing a rep, but they did offer a 'click and buy' option if you packaged it with a screen. I could not have bought JUST the projector without contacting a rep though

Do you have a link?

fierce_gt 03-25-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Do you have a link?

it was from eastporters

Geof 03-25-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post

JVC's website has a big warning saying that counterfeit projectors are being sold in the U.S. and that their procision projectors are not sold online.

What does this mean exactly - that outfits have copied the case design and are building pj's with cheaper older imaging chips inside?

Counterfeiters wouldn't have the manufacturing capability to build projectors that are actually perfectly functional copies of the current-generation chips, right - with e-shift, 4K inputs, etc. - right?
I would think they're referring to gray market items. If a supplier buys projectors from a seller in Hong Kong (for example) he could then turn around and resell them in the US and likely still make money. The problem with that is they are not US models, they were not purchased from the US arm of JVC and they would not have any US JVC warranty (gray market items are common in the photo world).

AV Science Sales 5 03-25-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

it was from eastporters
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

it was from eastporters

Eastporters are not a US JVC dealer. Being from Canada, they are not held to the same conditions as far as selling as US dealers. It also means your warranty is Canadian, not US. It also means, there should have been import duties to be paid. If you are from Canada, then no problem.

fierce_gt 03-25-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post


Eastporters are not a US JVC dealer. Being from Canada, they are not held to the same conditions as far as selling as US dealers. It also means your warranty is Canadian, not US. It also means, there should have been import duties to be paid. If you are from Canada, then no problem.

of course i'm from canada, haha. why else would i buy electronics from here? you know there's a 20% markup the instant it crosses the border right rolleyes.gif

guess i misread the part where it said sold in the US in the initial post. assumed it was a JVC rule, not a JVC USA rule. my bad

AV Science Sales 5 03-25-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

of course i'm from canada, haha. why else would i buy electronics from here? you know there's a 20% markup the instant it crosses the border right rolleyes.gif

guess i misread the part where it said sold in the US in the initial post. assumed it was a JVC rule, not a JVC USA rule. my bad

Yes it would bother me if we in the US can't sell JVC to Canada and Canadian JVC dealers were able to sell to the US. It may be a JVC rule, I don't know. Not everybody follows the rules. smile.gif


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.