Counterfeit JVC D-ILA projectors? Technically feasible? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
JVC's website has a big warning saying that counterfeit projectors are being sold in the U.S. and that their procision projectors are not sold online.

What does this mean exactly - that outfits have copied the case design and are building pj's with cheaper older imaging chips inside?

Counterfeiters wouldn't have the manufacturing capability to build projectors that are actually perfectly functional copies of the current-generation chips, right - with e-shift, 4K inputs, etc. - right?

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post

JVC's website has a big warning saying that counterfeit projectors are being sold in the U.S. and that their procision projectors are not sold online.

What does this mean exactly - that outfits have copied the case design and are building pj's with cheaper older imaging chips inside?

Counterfeiters wouldn't have the manufacturing capability to build projectors that are actually perfectly functional copies of the current-generation chips, right - with e-shift, 4K inputs, etc. - right?

if they could copy the results, they'd be better off not calling them 'jvc' and branding their own legally.

I would assume that they only look the part

but what concerns me is the statement of not selling projectors online, cause that's about the only way to buy one in many cases... so i'm not sure what their definition of 'online' means. maybe they don't considering buying a projector from a store with a website as an 'online' purchase?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 10 Old 03-23-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

if they could copy the results, they'd be better off not calling them 'jvc' and branding their own legally.

I would assume that they only look the part

but what concerns me is the statement of not selling projectors online, cause that's about the only way to buy one in many cases... so i'm not sure what their definition of 'online' means. maybe they don't considering buying a projector from a store with a website as an 'online' purchase?

Buying on line means, click and buy. Any place that has click and buy of new JVC projectors, I would avoid. This is why you have to deal with a sales person to buy.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 10 Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Buying on line means, click and buy. Any place that has click and buy of new JVC projectors, I would avoid. This is why you have to deal with a sales person to buy.

interesting. I bought mine online after emailing a rep, but they did offer a 'click and buy' option if you packaged it with a screen. I could not have bought JUST the projector without contacting a rep though

post #5 of 10 Old 03-24-2014, 06:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

interesting. I bought mine online after emailing a rep, but they did offer a 'click and buy' option if you packaged it with a screen. I could not have bought JUST the projector without contacting a rep though

Do you have a link?

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #6 of 10 Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have a link?

it was from eastporters

post #7 of 10 Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post

I would think they're referring to gray market items. If a supplier buys projectors from a seller in Hong Kong (for example) he could then turn around and resell them in the US and likely still make money. The problem with that is they are not US models, they were not purchased from the US arm of JVC and they would not have any US JVC warranty (gray market items are common in the photo world).

Geof
post #8 of 10 Old 03-25-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

it was from eastporters
Quote:

it was from eastporters

Eastporters are not a US JVC dealer. Being from Canada, they are not held to the same conditions as far as selling as US dealers. It also means your warranty is Canadian, not US. It also means, there should have been import duties to be paid. If you are from Canada, then no problem.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-25-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Eastporters are not a US JVC dealer. Being from Canada, they are not held to the same conditions as far as selling as US dealers. It also means your warranty is Canadian, not US. It also means, there should have been import duties to be paid. If you are from Canada, then no problem.

of course i'm from canada, haha. why else would i buy electronics from here? you know there's a 20% markup the instant it crosses the border right rolleyes.gif

guess i misread the part where it said sold in the US in the initial post. assumed it was a JVC rule, not a JVC USA rule. my bad

post #10 of 10 Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

of course i'm from canada, haha. why else would i buy electronics from here? you know there's a 20% markup the instant it crosses the border right rolleyes.gif

guess i misread the part where it said sold in the US in the initial post. assumed it was a JVC rule, not a JVC USA rule. my bad

Yes it would bother me if we in the US can't sell JVC to Canada and Canadian JVC dealers were able to sell to the US. It may be a JVC rule, I don't know. Not everybody follows the rules. smile.gif

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page