15' ceiling. super short throw 1ft? projectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-18-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
gadgetfreaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Guys,

Helping a friend in NYC figure out what to get. he's got 15' ceilings so hanging a projector in the family room down from that probably isn't going to pass WAF approval..

He saw this video which I think is a runco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvRMSd8_gMg

and the sony 4K that came out
http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-4k-ultra-short-throw-projector/
is $35K!!

What super short throw projectors are out there? worth getting? or should he try to remodel the ceiling and do a long scissor lift like this
http://www.draperinc.com/LiftsMounts/LiftProducts.asp?detail=258

thanks!
gadgetfreaky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 04-18-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I once had a projector hanging on an 8' pole from a 20' ceiling. Hardly anybody noticed it - and the ones that did thought it was a security device ! smile.gif I don't remember WAF issues - I must have bought the wife at the time diamond earrings as a diversionary tactic !
gadgetfreaky likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 04-18-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
gadgetfreaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I once had a projector hanging on an 8' pole from a 20' ceiling. Hardly anybody noticed it - and the ones that did thought it was a security device ! smile.gif I don't remember WAF issues - I must have bought the wife at the time diamond earrings as a diversionary tactic !

ha.. but I think he really wants a ultra short throw projector. Who makes the good ones?

pros/cons? picture quality the same?
gadgetfreaky is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 04-18-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,849
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 818
pq is not the same, the optics aren't as good, it's just a far more challenging feat to accomplish. so even the best of them, with amazing optics, don't present a really great value.

we use a lot of them at school, the projector is mounted right off the screen, and in all honesty I think it's a LOT more distracting having the projector super close to the screen. I mean it's not like the ultra short throw projector will be mounted on the 15ft ceiling or ground anyway. it's still going to be right at the top of the screen, except instead of being behind you, now it's dead center, 3inchs from the screen you're paying attention to.

here's some questions for you/your friend:
-can you mount the screen higher? or get a projector with more vertical lens shift? would mounting a projector 2-3 ft down from the ceiling still be an issue?
-can you shelf mount the projector?
-can you rack mount the projector?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,854
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 177
There really are very few ultra short throw home theater projectors. Companies like Epson and NEC make several classroom/business projectors that are ultra short throw, but these do not have the black levels, contrast ratio, nor color accuracy desired for a home theater. Is there any chance the projector could be mounted on the wall opposite the screen (either placed on a high shelf or attached directly to the wall with a bracket?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 04-18-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
usualsuspects's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Disguise the PJ - put it in a chandelier, or a hanging piece of art.
usualsuspects is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 04-19-2014, 03:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 6,764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 68
At my kids school they Use smart board projectors which mount at the top of the screen maybe a foot away.

Quality seems good from what I've seen. They project on a white board and you can use the white board to make interactive presentations. It's very cool... May be much better suited for school than ht though.

My kids watched wreck it Ralph on the setup with the lights on during the day so they must be light cannons. Black level must be very elevated. But,.. It looked good to me.

Here's a cool link about the interactive projectors.

http://t.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/brightlink-pro-interactive-projectors.do?ref=sem_us-awareness-projectors-bl-pro_board-smart&wm_crID=19937532&wm_lpID=85222014&wm_ctID=475&wm_kwID=57846499&wm_mtID=14&wm_m_crID=3856013080&wm_m_kwID=26626586942&wm_m_qs=smart+boards+in+the+classroom&wm_m_mt=p&gclid=CLCGuuCr7L0CFUUu4Aod-hUAAA&gclsrc=ds&wm_kw=smart+boards+in+the+classroom&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2bsmart+%2bboards&utm_campaign=us+%2D+awareness+%2D+projectors+%2D+bl+pro&wm_sd=1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dsmart%2Bboards%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bclassroom%26fr%3Dipad




-Brian
Brian Hampton is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 04-19-2014, 05:12 AM
 
ttlnb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I seen this at a local dealer. It looked decent with a good amount of ambient light. It came with the screen. I am not sure if you can buy it separately. It might not be a 1 foot throw but it is less than 2 feet. It was sitting on a shelf in front of the TV as it is shown in the picture with the couple watching it.
http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-HECTO-laser-tv
ttlnb is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 04-19-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 464
and because its an epson pro, it is discounted excessively and can be bought new, free shipping, yada yada for under $2300 and that was just looking at one advertiser here . Your school system probably paid close to list which is over $5000 or something like that.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,849
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

At my kids school they Use smart board projectors which mount at the top of the screen maybe a foot away.

Quality seems good from what I've seen. They project on a white board and you can use the white board to make interactive presentations. It's very cool... May be much better suited for school than ht though.

My kids watched wreck it Ralph on the setup with the lights on during the day so they must be light cannons. Black level must be very elevated. But,.. It looked good to me.

Here's a cool link about the interactive projectors.

http://t.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/brightlink-pro-interactive-projectors.do?ref=sem_us-awareness-projectors-bl-pro_board-smart&wm_crID=19937532&wm_lpID=85222014&wm_ctID=475&wm_kwID=57846499&wm_mtID=14&wm_m_crID=3856013080&wm_m_kwID=26626586942&wm_m_qs=smart+boards+in+the+classroom&wm_m_mt=p&gclid=CLCGuuCr7L0CFUUu4Aod-hUAAA&gclsrc=ds&wm_kw=smart+boards+in+the+classroom&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2bsmart+%2bboards&utm_campaign=us+%2D+awareness+%2D+projectors+%2D+bl+pro&wm_sd=1&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fp%3Dsmart%2Bboards%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bclassroom%26fr%3Dipad




-Brian

that's what we use as well, they are TERRIBLE for movies. of course maintaining black levels and good contrast is of very little concern in a classroom, and they are bright enough to use with the lights on. that's where the strength is.

it comes down to what they are designed for. and they haven't made many(any?) home theatre projectors with an ultra short throw.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 PM
 
ttlnb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Besides the LG I mentioned, Runco makes the Lightstylee LS-100D. Both are designed for video. I agree many of the presentation projectors are not great for showing video material.
ttlnb is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AV_Integrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA - Washington, DC
Posts: 2,991
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 294
A projector like the Epson 5030 has a full screen height of potential offset. With the projector mounted towards the back of the room a 120" diagonal of about 5' in height and the projector mounted on an extension of just a few inches with a normal mount will have the lens about 1' from the ceiling. The max offset would allow the top of the image to be about 6' from the ceiling, and the bottom of the image would be about 11' from the ceiling, or 4' from the floor. That's a very 'typical' drop for a 8' to 9' ceiling, so dropping it another foot or so will really put it at a very usable and comfortable height with a 120" screen size.

I would not at all consider the serious limitations and drawbacks associated with a ultra short throw, or even a short throw projector.

Classroom short throw projectors are horrendous. Completely terrible lenses with significant aberration to the image. Pincusion distortion being a very common issue when you have an image that has to project outward at a 70 degree plus angle from a lens, then change all over the place as the screen drops nearly straight down, away from the lens. Horrible viewing angles, etc. Short throw is bad, ultra short throw is dismal and just the wrong way to go at any budget.

On axis short throw is the best way to do it, and is done with rear projection setups quite often on the higher end commercial side. Tough to do in homes.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
AV_Integrated is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
gadgetfreaky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

A projector like the Epson 5030 has a full screen height of potential offset. With the projector mounted towards the back of the room a 120" diagonal of about 5' in height and the projector mounted on an extension of just a few inches with a normal mount will have the lens about 1' from the ceiling. The max offset would allow the top of the image to be about 6' from the ceiling, and the bottom of the image would be about 11' from the ceiling, or 4' from the floor. That's a very 'typical' drop for a 8' to 9' ceiling, so dropping it another foot or so will really put it at a very usable and comfortable height with a 120" screen size.

I would not at all consider the serious limitations and drawbacks associated with a ultra short throw, or even a short throw projector.

Classroom short throw projectors are horrendous. Completely terrible lenses with significant aberration to the image. Pincusion distortion being a very common issue when you have an image that has to project outward at a 70 degree plus angle from a lens, then change all over the place as the screen drops nearly straight down, away from the lens. Horrible viewing angles, etc. Short throw is bad, ultra short throw is dismal and just the wrong way to go at any budget.

On axis short throw is the best way to do it, and is done with rear projection setups quite often on the higher end commercial side. Tough to do in homes.

wow. ok. I didn't do the math on this. thanks!
gadgetfreaky is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off