Remote Light Sources - why not more widespread? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The concept here is that the light source of a projector is located separately, and remotely, from projection head. This is a quote from a Projectiondesign site:
Quote:
The Remote Light Source technology removes the projector bulb from the projection head, up to 30m (100 feet) away, and does away with all traditional concerns such as noise and heat management, installation orientation, lamp replacement and maintenance scheduling.
The external block includes the lamp, cooling and control hardware. It is hooked up with a projector via a special (optical?) cable, Projectiondesign calles it the "Liquid Light Guide". The LLG is filled with a pure water-based liquid which efficiently transmit light from the external block to the projector.

But I can probably try and answer my own question (I've noticed it just a minute ago):
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.projectiondesign.com/products/fr12-series 
The patent pending FR12 Remote Light Source (RLS) concept relocates the lamps and colorwheels from the projector to a rack-mount enclosure positioned up to 30m away from the projector head.
It's just such a great concept. It will allow to use brighter lamps in home environments with no regard to noise or heat. It will allow for smaller enclosures and will also improve projectors' life span.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-23-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 415
$$$$$
post #3 of 18 Old 04-23-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 566
while I'm not sure I share your enthusiasm, it does make me wonder if a modular concept could work.

would there be a benefit to this in terms of changing light sources? since the external box could be made anyway they want, the only piece that needs to remain compatible is the emitter unit. if that was standardized, you could see projectors offered with different lumen outputs. or the ability to change to an LED light source in the future maybe.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 18 Old 04-23-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, a logical, if a bit (or for the most part) utopian, step would be to standardize the "input" for light source. But if you really want to you can adapt this external module to your existing projector. In this modern age of 3D print technologies you can prototype the casing for the lamp and remodel it to fit the RLS input. The tricky part would be for the projector to recognize that the lamp is installed. Imagine your favorite projector with double the lumen output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

$$$$$
Well, maybe not so many $'s but I hear you. Still the benefits are well worth it, I think.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-23-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I guess I don't see why the need to replace the bulb goes away. Why does heat stop being a problem?... Bulb still makes heat.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-23-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

I guess I don't see why the need to replace the bulb goes away. Why does heat stop being a problem?... Bulb still makes heat.

I believe he was alluding to not needing to worry about heat from the projector (i.e. inside the theater room itself). Like other components that many people rack mount in another room, a device such as this could have a bulb that is many times more powerful (and hot and large) but be contained in a different room where noise and space is not an issue.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-23-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I also suppose in theory size becomes less of an issue. you could run a smaller projector and a larger bulb/LED array to get more lumens

my hang up, is that is seems to be a step backwards in how most view technology advancements. usually consumer electronics get more simple and more 'all in one'. while the idea of being able to customize the light source to your room, or remove the light source from the viewing environment will appeal to some, I think the average consumer is going to like the idea of a single unit much better. I mean, a lot of ppl are already scared of projectors because the screen and projector are separate pieces, how would those ppl react to a modular projector design too? do you get a higher gain screen, or a brighter bulb, or do I need both, or should I go larger, etc, etc. choices are only appreciated by those knowledgeable enough to make them

post #8 of 18 Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As you said a lot of people are scared of projectors and unconsciously separates themselves from the idea of having a projection system instead of conventional direct view displays. So projector market is a niche market. It's for people who opened up to the idea of having more complex video system in order to gain some advantages. So it wouldn't be hard for many of them to realize the advantages of the modular projector system, would it? That's my way of thinking.

With the use of led arrays and some simple light gathering system you can get crazy lumen numbers... And it wouldn't be too bulky. And the projector head gets to get smaller, produce less (no?) heat and no sound (there'll be some sound from the color wheel if it will be incorporated within the PJ head).
post #9 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Everything but my projector and speakers is already outside the ht in a gear rack so I guess this seems kind of ok.

My new pj has more than enough light output and I can't hear the fan on low,... So new pjs are doing pretty good with these concerns.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

As you said a lot of people are scared of projectors and unconsciously separates themselves from the idea of having a projection system instead of conventional direct view displays. So projector market is a niche market. It's for people who opened up to the idea of having more complex video system in order to gain some advantages. So it wouldn't be hard for many of them to realize the advantages of the modular projector system, would it? That's my way of thinking.

With the use of led arrays and some simple light gathering system you can get crazy lumen numbers... And it wouldn't be too bulky. And the projector head gets to get smaller, produce less (no?) heat and no sound (there'll be some sound from the color wheel if it will be incorporated within the PJ head).

I suppose those who have already lived with projectors wouldn't mind, IF it presented a significant advantage.

but with decent projectors in the 1000dollar range these days, I talk to more and more ppl that want to know what it's like to use a projector because they are thinking about buying one. it's always easier to talk them into something simple. something with a lot of lens shift so placement isn't difficult, and something that works as similar to a tv as possible.

but don't get me wrong, I'm arguing why the market might not support it, not why it's a 'bad' thing.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, I agree that this design complicates things and it's not for everyone. It's not for entry-level market. But there IS a market for it. I wouldn't mind enjoying music in a completely silent room watching a projector. Of course if you have a 30 ft long room you won't notice a projector but otherwise a completely silent PJ will boost the listening experience. That's one thing. Another thing is the scalability. Read JVCs with 2000 lumens of calibrated output with higher wattage lamp. Unfortunately one can't just put a higher wattage lamp in a projector, the heat will probably destroy the internals. Not an issue with RSL design.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

yeah, I definitely see it's potential.

like the difference between buying an AVR(which MOST of the market would prefer) compared to a dedicated pre/pro and amps. the most components, the less waste. maybe you don't need to upgrade your projector, you just upgrade the lamp to a bright one to fill the larger screen you want. or maybe you don't need to upgrade the lamp, you just want a projector that supports UHD now...

I think in the future, it would be more about replacing projectors and keeping the same LED light block. just like upgrading your surround processor while keeping you amps

post #13 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So far only Projectiondesign implemented this idea but I've heard there are more. I wonder if anyone has info.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 AM

Liked: 11
I think what you are giving up is image quality. For 2K and then 4K, you need larger chips, which require larger lenses to maintain the resolution. That device has a small light tube so at best it would have to shrink down the image area created by the light / prism block and then expand it again, which is likely to loose something in the translation.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-25-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

what if the optical block, cable, and emitter were separates as well.

the emitter would be specific to the projector, the cable universal, and the optical block customizable.

then you could have as large or small of emitter as the projector requires, and as many or few lumens as you need

post #16 of 18 Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

what if the optical block, cable, and emitter were separates as well.

the emitter would be specific to the projector, the cable universal, and the optical block customizable.

then you could have as large or small of emitter as the projector requires, and as many or few lumens as you need

Projector setups would become to the video side what amps, pre/pros, and cables are to the audio side.

Very interesting concept. Not sure if it would ever gain traction. But interesting none the less.
post #17 of 18 Old 04-26-2014, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Modular design might get popular with Google's Ara project.

The only difference is, for projectors it actually makes sense.biggrin.gif
post #18 of 18 Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey View Post

I think what you are giving up is image quality.

Unless I misunderstand, the fiber optic is only carrying light, not image information.

There are fiber optic compressor/expanders which can render the correct light source size.

Noah
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page