Advice when starting out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-26-2014, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all
Being new to the site (and AV in general) I'm not really even sure where this thread will end up!
I'm considering purchasing what I believe to be some reasonably good home cinema gear at what I hope is a good price and I was hoping for some unbiased, non-salesman, expert advice. I'm in Australia and I have been offered a vivtek 9080FD LED DLP projector out of the box with 100 hours on it and full factory warranty for AUD$3500, a curved anamorphic 160" (2.35:1) cinemamax ultra wide screen for AUD $2500 and a prismasonic 5000r anamorphic HD lens with "pass thru" for watching TV etc which is remotely controlled for AUD$1800.

My questions (if you're still reading) are:
1) does this gear sound compatible or are there things I should alter?
2) for what I'm planning on spending are there "better" alternatives and am I wasting money? The room is 6x6m with lounge set back ~3-4m from screen. 2nd storey room with some ambient light and not sound proofed. I'll mainly be watching blueray, streamed movies and some TV.
3) any suggestions on compatible surround sound systems within a AUD$5000 budget?
4) anything I've forgotten? eg. 3D

Thanks for your kindness and sympathy for my ignorance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-26-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 987
I don't know much about that projector, but a quick search indicated it's rated at only 800lumens. probably fine for a dedicated room, but likely won't cut it for viewing in ambient light.

your budget is right in the zone for a lot of great projectors though. if you aren't hung up on it being LED(which is still a little unproven and crazy expensive), one of the LCOS projectors from Sony or JVC are a great option.

I think your screen budget should also give you a lot of options. more detail on your room and how you will use the projector would help I think

you don't really need to worry about things being 'compatible'. as long as you aren't buying cheap home theatre in a box systems, they should all work.
flick74 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 7 Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

I was only considering the Vivitek 9080 LED projector because the opportunity arose and the reviews sounded pretty impressive, esp. the advantage of not having to replace failing lamps on a regular basis, BUT, the room will have some ambient light and I've had some advice that the Vivitek will be too dim for a 160" screen (120" far better), so ???

Room is really a converted 6x6m lounge room with theatre curtains down both sides blocking the majority of ambient light (but not perfectly). There is a bar in the back corner meaning I can't have the chairs much more than 4m from the screen. Projector will mainly be used for movies, streaming from the internet and maybe TV occasionally (sports).

Do you think I'm better off passing on the anamorphic lens and spending more money elsewhere?

Cheers

post #4 of 7 Old 04-26-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick74 View Post

Thanks

I was only considering the Vivitek 9080 LED projector because the opportunity arose and the reviews sounded pretty impressive, esp. the advantage of not having to replace failing lamps on a regular basis, BUT, the room will have some ambient light and I've had some advice that the Vivitek will be too dim for a 160" screen (120" far better), so ???

Room is really a converted 6x6m lounge room with theatre curtains down both sides blocking the majority of ambient light (but not perfectly). There is a bar in the back corner meaning I can't have the chairs much more than 4m from the screen. Projector will mainly be used for movies, streaming from the internet and maybe TV occasionally (sports).

Do you think I'm better off passing on the anamorphic lens and spending more money elsewhere?

Cheers

first off, everything I tell you will be OPINION only, and as such others and possibly yourself will disagree. but that's what these forums are for right? to hear different opinions to help you make up your own.

the vivitek (again just from quick searching) looks to be a 10k+ projector, so the price is scary good. but 800lumens and 160" screen is not going to be bright enough for most ppl. doing it in a room with ambient lighting is even worse. compared to the retail price of that projector, the 'normal' bulb based projectors are a much better deal. I mean you can get a great projector and 10bulbs for that price. 10 bulbs would get you 30 000 to 50 000 hrs of use, with the option for more. the issue with the LED models is they don't seem 'refreshable', once the 20k hrs is up, it's a throw away. probably not a big deal as most don't get 20k hrs on their projectors before upgrading anyway, but still.

ok, so my thoughts, 120" is a lot more reasonable, most projectors in that price range will have no problems lighting that up. but you could probably get away with 130 or 140 as well with the right projector.

I would recommend a high gain screen. it will increase the brightness of the picture, and help combat some of the ambient light in the room. if you really want to go all out on being able to watch in a bright room, look into the black diamond screens. they are pricey, but could be worth it. just be warned, that when it comes to screens you have to pay to get a high gain screen without issues of texture and hot spotting. but it doesn't look like your afraid to buy the good stuff, so that shouldn't be an issue for you.

I would start you off by looking into the Sony HW55. it's a great well rounded projector that offers superb picture quality in a dedicated room, but also offers some extra lumens that make it suitable for rooms with some ambient light too, JVC offers a solid range of options as well from the x35 up, but they are a little dimmer. a 140" scope screen in ambient light would probably be too dim for many. but the advantage is the JVC's have lens memory, which means you don't need an anamorphic lens to run CIH. there are pros and cons to an A-lens vs lens memory that I'm not going to get into. but I will say with my jvc and my room, I can't think of a single problem with using lens memory, and it pains me to think of spending 2k for a good a-lens. I run the x35 on a 1.0 gain white screen and it's BRIGHT for me. I have the iris fully closed otherwise it's like watching a huge LCD. with carefully aimed lighting, it handles ambient light quite well. the issue is the 1.0 gain white screen washes out very easy if the light hits it directly

if you aren't totally decided on the screen yet, I'd recommend picking a projector first, then testing it out to see how large of a screen it can support, and how large you actually want. then you can spend the money on a nice screen after you know exactly what you need. you should only have to buy the screen once if you get it right. you'll eventually upgrade the projector as technology progresses and improves, but the screen should last several upgrades.

so to recap:
Projector- look and LCOS offerings from Sony and JVC. sony being brighter and more versatile, JVC having lens memory and not needing an a-lens for CIH
Screen - look for something with a high gain, if possible buy after the projector has been installed and you've tested image sizes

if you have the time, I would also HIGHLY recommend you read through the projector shootout thread. there's very few ppl who have viewed as many projectors in an unbiased manner as the dude from that thread. it's a valuable resource for anybody unsure of what to look for

post #5 of 7 Old 04-26-2014, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Once again, your advice has been of great help! If I go with the LCOS option from JVC do you think that could adequately light up the 160" screen?

post #6 of 7 Old 04-26-2014, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

160" is very large. my gut says it probably would not be enough to satisfy most ppl, or to meet recommended brightness levels.

the jvc while considerably bright, is known more for it's amazing blacks than for being a light cannon. the sony is brighter, and Epson makes some projectors in the price range (5030/6030) that while not much brighter in calibrated modes do have the potential to get much brighter with a little sacrifice to color accuracy.

I think you're better off with a smaller screen though. 160" is quite huge for a 4m viewing distance. by contrast I've running a 120" 16:9 screen and my front row is about 4m and rear about 5.5m. I find the 120" nearing the point of being overwhelming from the front row. even with personal preferences, 160" from 4m away is a huge image for 1080p.

that being said, perhaps with a high enough gain, it could be possible. but I would have to differ to those with more experience with larger screen than I.

and I still don't really know anything about the vivitek, sometimes the ratings for lumens are a little misleading. for example the x35 is rated at 1300 lumens and it's WAY brighter than the Epson I replaced that was rated at 1600 lumens.

post #7 of 7 Old 05-02-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 213
The Vivtek 9080FD has a measured brightness of only about 400 lumens (with Brilliant Color turned off, while turning in on adds about 100 lumens but results in a less accurate picture) and it is way underpowered for the large screen of the size being proposed (HERE is a review that includes the lumens measurements). With a gain = 1.0 screen (16 x 9) you should not go much over 100" diagonal in order to have a bright enough image with this projector.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page