Runco 3Chip DLP with Firehawk G3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Using Firehawk G3 with Runco LS10i. Notice Sparkling effect.

Screen diagonally is 72" projector throw distance is around 13.5 feet. viewing distance is 12 feet.

Runco seems an overkill for my room size. Have been advised to change the screen material but that adds to the cost. Need to scale down.

What is the best 55/60" alternative in the form of LEDs.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
From the reviews I've read about this screen, yes, there is visible texture and sparkles with this screen. And this diagonal is rather small for a projector of this caliber. But if you're stuck with this size I have two recommendations:

1) If you have absolute light control (black ceiling, walls) then Stewart Studiotek 100 is the reference screen. There will be absolutely no texture or sparkles visible, even on 100% blue or 100% white screen or in panning scenes. Gain is 1.0.
2) If you don't have absolute control over incident lighting and want to take advantage of enormous brightness reserve you have, I suggest looking at DNP Supernova 08-85 material. Gain is 0.8. The base color of this material is grey and it is unique in the way that it rejects light vertically. See some videos on YouTube. It is almost as textureless as Studiotek.

Both screens are pricey but they're the best out there and will be a great match for this projector.

Edit: Damn. I'd love to see Runco LS-10i at my place. I have Planar PD8150 which is the same projector as Runco LS-5.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I have a sample of firehawk. There's no texture but there are some mild sparklies.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Put up an image or pattern that shows the texture clearly. Place or hold a piece of computer paper on the screen, is there texture in the image displayed on the paper? If not it is the screen, if the screen and paper look the same I have no idea what would cause texture in an image or pattern.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think the author is confusing screen texture with banding/solarization of the projector. But good remark nevertheless!
post #6 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyluv View Post

Using Firehawk G3 with Runco LS10i. Notice Sparkling effect.

Screen diagonally is 72" projector throw distance is around 13.5 feet. viewing distance is 12 feet.

Runco seems an overkill for my room size. Have been advised to change the screen material but that adds to the cost. Need to scale down.

What is the best 55/60" alternative in the form of LEDs.

Thanks for reading.

if you're going to ditch projectors for a tv, I can only recommend a Samsung f8500 from what's currently on the market. I could not in good faith recommend an LED to anybody. the sharp elite was probably the last watchable LED made(it was even great!)

unfortunately it's the death of plasma, and even they are dwindling in quality right now frown.gif thus the only 'good' tv on the market I've seen is the f8500. last year an st60 would have been the perfect tv for you, but I don't think you'll find one now

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #7 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 11:30 PM

Liked: 14
I use the Stewart Firehawk in my set up and there are no sparklies to speak of. I believe that this is a case of having too bright a projector for the size of screen you are running. The LS-10i is really designed for much larger screens than you are using. Maybe you should consider selling the projector ( I see it is listed) and go for a JVC whose light output will be much lower. Cheaper option than getting rid of both and purchasing a new TV.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-06-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I just read Sound&Vision review, they measured 19 ftL on a 152" 1.0 gain screen. xD And on a 72" 1.3 gain screen that's like 110 ftL eek.gif
post #9 of 10 Old 05-06-2014, 04:46 AM

Liked: 14
Holy guacamole! That's like shining a flash light in your eyes. No wonder there are sparkles -my eyes would be sparkling for hours afterwards...wink.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Originally Posted by seanoo View Post

Holy guacamole! That's like shining a flash light in your eyes. No wonder there are sparkles -my eyes would be sparkling for hours afterwards...wink.gif

Hopefully he meant his height is 72", otherwise I suggest he uses this as his demo material.

seanoo likes this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page