AVS Forum banner

Question About Room/Screen Setup

385 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Dalumberjack 
#1 ·
So the wife and I are moving into a new house and there is an extra room that I can take over and turn into a little theater room. My question is, as you can see from the crapy picture I just drew on my phone, I'm trying to decide the best place for the projector and screen. So far I have settled on putting an electric drop down screen in front of the closet. This way the sitting area is on the other side of the room which has walls for surrounds. With this setup, I am still trying to decide if I should get an acoustic screen in case the center channel is behind the screen (which I don't know if that works considering it's an open space behind the scree. Not fixed to a wall with the speaker in the wall).

The other option is to put a fixed screen on the other side of the room. The only problem this leaves is it will be hard to have surrounds or surround backs on the other side of the room where the closet and window are.. There's always a ceiling speaker option, but I have never been fond of those types.

So I guess I'm looking for input. I don't have measurements of the room yet. I should have them next week when we do the frame walk.

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack  /t/1532776/question-about-room-screen-setup#post_24746392

So the wife and I are moving into a new house and there is an extra room that I can take over and turn into a little theater room. My question is, as you can see from the crapy picture I just drew on my phone, I'm trying to decide the best place for the projector and screen. So far I have settled on putting an electric drop down screen in front of the closet. This way the sitting area is on the other side of the room which has walls for surrounds. With this setup, I am still trying to decide if I should get an acoustic screen in case the center channel is behind the screen (which I don't know if that works considering it's an open space behind the scree. Not fixed to a wall with the speaker in the wall).

The other option is to put a fixed screen on the other side of the room. The only problem this leaves is it will be hard to have surrounds or surround backs on the other side of the room where the closet and window are.. There's always a ceiling speaker option, but I have never been fond of those types.

So I guess I'm looking for input. I don't have measurements of the room yet. I should have them next week when we do the frame walk.

Drop down AT screen in front of the closet would work fine. Not a problem having the open space. If you would like to discuss, give us a call.

#3 ·
My room looks almost identical to what you laid out.

I ended up taking off my closet doors and ceiling mounting my projector in there to give me more throw as the screen is on opposite side of wall. Works and looks great. My receiver, player, UPS/surge and subwoofer are in the closet so the only things in the actual room is the power recliner and 7 speakers.

I would definitely give Mike Garret a call. He was a tremendous help especially giving me advice on how to ceiling mount the projector from inside of the closet - something I have never come close to doing before, but it worked out great. He can discuss all kinds of options for you.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1532776/question-about-room-screen-setup#post_24749519

My room looks almost identical to what you laid out.

I ended up taking off my closet doors and ceiling mounting my projector in there to give me more throw as the screen is on opposite side of wall. Works and looks great. My receiver, player, UPS/surge and subwoofer are in the closet so the only things in the actual room is the power recliner and 7 speakers.

I would definitely give Mike Garret a call. He was a tremendous help especially giving me advice on how to ceiling mount the projector from inside of the closet - something I have never come close to doing before, but it worked out great. He can discuss all kinds of options for you.

Where did you put your surrounds? I have always had 5.2 and would like to try 7.2 but am worried where I am going to put the surrounds or surround backs if the backend of the room is where the closet doors are.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack  /t/1532776/question-about-room-screen-setup#post_24749960

Where did you put your surrounds? I have always had 5.2 and would like to try 7.2 but am worried where I am going to put the surrounds or surround backs if the backend of the room is where the closet doors are.

My surrounds are wall mounted about one foot below the ceiling - tilted downward.

Two are mounted above the closet opening and then one above the door coming into the room and then opposite wall to it.

I will try to show a pic later.

#7 ·
Hmmm, I wonder if I can hang and angle my klipsch rs52's like that, especially above the door. We plan to make a trip this Monday and ill measure the room in the model home and take pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.