Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #61 of 218 Old 08-14-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Seems like there will be no party this year. Wonder if there will be a meet up place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 218 Old 08-14-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Seems like there will be no party this year. Wonder if there will be a meet up place?
As I suggested in Post #1 of this thread:

"CEDIA itself has a free "After Hours Party" (more info HERE) on Thursday (Sept. 11th) evening in the convention center that was well attended last year, and you may want to sign up to attend it when you register to attend the Expo this year. I suggest we plan on getting the AVS Forum members together at a table(s) during the After Hours party .....".

I'll try to make up a small AVS Forum 'sign' to put on one or two tables at the "After Hours Party" and hopefully a few members will gather there. Since it appears there will not be an official AVS Forum sponsored party this year (in the past this has been held Friday evening), perhaps some forum member would be willing to organize something for interested forum members to meet at a restaurant within walking distance at the Convention Center.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 08-14-2014 at 04:00 PM.
post #63 of 218 Old 08-14-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

"CEDIA itself has a free "After Hours Party" (more info HERE) on Thursday (Sept. 11th) evening in the convention center that was well attended last year, and you may want to sign up to attend it when you register to attend the Expo this year. I suggest we plan on getting the AVS Forum members together at a table(s) during the After Hours party .....".

I'll try to make up a small AVS Forum 'sign' to put on one or two tables at the "After Hours Party" and hopefully a few members will gather there. Since it appears there will not be an official AVS Forum sponsored party this year (in the past this has been held Friday evening), perhaps some forum member would be willing to organize something for interested forum members to meet at a restaurant within walking distance at the Convention Center.
That would be cool. Just have to figure out what my schedule is going to end up looking like on Thursday late evening.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #64 of 218 Old 08-14-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
I've signed up. Also planning on attending the Dolby Labs event on Friday, Sept. 12 at 11:30 a.m. where they discuss new audio formats for home theater and their proper installation... among them: Atmos!!
I guess we'll meet there!!

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #65 of 218 Old 08-14-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
I guess we'll meet there!!
I had to change my Friday schedule. They have the big Atmos/Auro/Toole panel during part of the Atmos installation class, so I went with that one instead. It wasn't free, but it looked interesting nonetheless. If you can swing the extra $147, I suggest that might be the one to go to instead. It's one of the tent pole events at the Expo this year.

I'm also signed up for the After Hours party on Thursday. I might be able to slip in a little late. At least I have my name down.

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 08-14-2014 at 05:34 PM.
post #66 of 218 Old 08-14-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will be looking for table(s) Too bad that there is no formal event. The after hours party can become very crowded. Lets hope that things work out.
post #67 of 218 Old 08-15-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked: 585
In the past I have organized multiple AVS dinners at Cedia. Unfortunately, I can't travel this year because I can't leave my giant dog for any significant period of time. It is likely we will have to put her down in the very near future but I just can't assume anything or take on social organizational responsibilities in Denver let alone planning to attend the show.

it is interesting being a long time attendee how Cedia is bombarding me with materials aimed at getting me to attend.

My interests are in video, mot audio. And nothing coming excites me very much except for DCI laser machines for use in HT applications and those I don't think will be shown at Cedia. both in the EU and here in the states

It even looks like the Epson laser projector that we have speculated about based on European announcements won't be shown because of regulatory barriers both in the EU and in the states.

A cheaper 4K Sony machine will please many but not me already owning a 1100ES. New cheap epsins with minor changes from last year, snooze.

JVC is the big unknown but I think this year will just be minor changes to last year's machines. But we can hope.

i am being selfish because I am putting my needs and expectations before others. Cedia is a great time. And if the convention center burn't down cancelling the show, Denver is still a great place to visit and to renew AVS Forun and industry friendships.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #68 of 218 Old 08-15-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mark - we'll miss you at this year's CEDIA. Hopefully next year in Dallas.

Ron Jones
post #69 of 218 Old 08-16-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It is in Dallas next year. Excellent!!!

It shouldn't be to hard to have a get together at a restaurant on Friday. In the past, some have liked to go to Ruth Chris.

I haven't booked my ticket yet. I guess I need to get on that.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #70 of 218 Old 08-16-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Austin or San Antonio would be even better

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #71 of 218 Old 08-16-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Not for me!

Dallas is easier to get to. I do have relatives in all three places, but it is easier to coordinate things with my brother in Dallas.

post #72 of 218 Old 08-16-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

On a purely selfish note, I wish it would be in Denver again next year.

post #73 of 218 Old 08-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Bring it to Nashville.
AV Science Sales 5 likes this.
post #74 of 218 Old 08-16-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
It is in Dallas next year. Excellent!!!

It shouldn't be to hard to have a get together at a restaurant on Friday. In the past, some have liked to go to Ruth Chris.

I haven't booked my ticket yet. I guess I need to get on that.
Looks like in will be in Oct. 15-16-17, 2015 in Dallas according to this Link: http://expo.cedia.net/docs/default-s...s.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Ron Jones
post #75 of 218 Old 08-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I have registered for the event.

My goal is to just see and experience specific brands - Sony, Procella, JTR, Lumagen etc and of course any new and interesting stuff. I'm planning a media room later this year or early next year so want to see the sony HW55 projector, hear Procella/JTR and other speaker brands.

Is one day good enough to visit all the targeted 5-6 exhibits. I'll be driving from Texas and just want

to see all the products at one place before buying.
JTR will not be at Cedia last time I checked. I think Jeff tends to do the smaller shows.

Also... You'll be there a lot longer than you think as there's so much to see. Some demos have small waits like Sony.
post #76 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Will try to catch up with other AVS members at the after hours party. The Palm restaurant at the Western Hotel offers half price small bites which are quite good between 5-7 Monday-Friday. in the bar area.
The Palm is also a great steakhouse. If any are interested it might be possible to make reservations for Friday.
post #77 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Go to the list of exhibitors on the Cedia expo website. Of course some manufacturers missing from that list may be exhibiting in Denver at one of the hotels near the Convention Center. Some exhibitors listed won't even show up for one reason or another.

Manufacturers are in great part recognizing that trade shows are a great waste of time and money and are not needed to reach dealers and installers. Much of the show traffic is now consumers and press. No effort is made to keep consumers out of the show any more because the show hall would be pretty empty of traffic if they did.

Of manufacturers still showing, many have downsized their exhibit space in an effort to reduce costs (read throw away less money).

If your interests are video only, you can easily see all that there is to see in one day. On Sat, the show halls are really empty and line waits are very short. Thursday is usually the busiest day but even then compared to the old days 10 years ago, the show is very sparsely attended despite any efforts to tell you otherwise by Cedia.

Now for some positives. The following projector manufacturers are exhibiting:

Digital Projection, Epson, JVC, Runco (closed to anyone not a Runco dealer or legitimate press), Sim2 (absent last year), Sony and Wolf.

Lumagen will not be showing but you should be able to find Jim Peterson somewhere at the show.

There are too many screen manufacturers showing to list. In the old days of audio, every Tom, Dick and Harry became a speaker manufacture, entry to this sector was easy. Now its HT screens because you do not need to invent any technology or invest much..

However, the field has much more capacity than demand right now and screens FOR HT USE will pretty much not be needed within 10 years or so.

Demand is already slacking. Hts in the classics sense are fading rapidly as far as new construction is concerned being replaced by media rooms which have multiple uses and use panels. I don't like what is happening but happening it is.

You think there might be a reason there will likely be no AV Science Forum party this year? It costs a lot of money and generates zilch for any sponsoring manufacturer let alone for the owners of the forum.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com

Last edited by mark haflich; 08-17-2014 at 07:34 AM.
post #78 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Very interesting thoughts, Mark. No screens in 10 yrs? Are you thinking simply about larger ledtv's, oled, ...? In 10 yrs, though, I probably won't need to worry about it!

An example of your comments is that, IIRC, JVC Pro always has always been offsite. Anybody know yet where it will be this year?
Dan Hitchman likes this.
post #79 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
Very interesting thoughts, Mark. No screens in 10 yrs? Are you thinking simply about larger ledtv's, oled, ...? In 10 yrs, though, I probably won't need to worry about it!

An example of your comments is that, IIRC, JVC Pro always has always been offsite. Anybody know yet where it will be this year?
I would definitely like some sort of guidance as what might be worth taking a gander at during CEDIA (even if it's offsite). I've never been. I'd rather see/hear working demos than booths with inoperable mockups.

post #80 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

OK. I imagine JVC will be offsite for the pro division where it was last year. JVC consumer will be on site. Sony will have one HT demo room within its large floor space. Sim2 I expect will have one projector demo room where it will continually be changing the model on display. Epson will have 2 or three projector demos. DP will have a massive booth with everything on display. Wolf one room with 2 or 3 models on display, changing them out. Runco? Doesn't matter, they won't let you in.
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #81 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
On a purely selfish note, I wish it would be in Denver again next year.
Ummm, if you have never been, then why would you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetGray View Post
Bring it to Nashville.
You have had it good. You were right in the middle for both the Atl and Indy shows.

In all honesty, Dallas may be easier for me to fly to and stay with my brother, but I think Indy was the best town to host the show. It is like Goldilocks - not to big and not to small.

post #82 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mark,
You have it right. If you are not into audio, then you can run the whole show in one day with eight hours to spare.

A friend once told me that if he found one thing to help his business from a show then he considered it a success. In that vein, I try to walk the whole show floor. There is no telling when you might run across something that is both interesting and works for you like iRule (shameless plug since I am friends with those guys ).

As you have said, my main reason for going is to meet up with the enthusiasts. Without that, I wouldn't even bother, as you can get most of the info online.

post #83 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I enjoy walking the whole show and end up reading about something that I missed. but I am a HT nerd. As for irule, I new them before they started irule and actually their owner picked me up at the closest airport to Art's for one of his parties and I stayed at his house to see his HT the night after the party.

As for cities, I am a tourist, I go early way before the show starts. Spent several weeks touring around Colorado and visiting friends before and after. indy is really noce, lots of hotels near the convention center, lots of places to eat and cigar rooms and clubs.

I have been to Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio. I would like to spend more time in Austin and San Antonio.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #84 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
OK. I imagine JVC will be offsite for the pro division where it was last year. JVC consumer will be on site. Sony will have one HT demo room within its large floor space. Sim2 I expect will have one projector demo room where it will continually be changing the model on display. Epson will have 2 or three projector demos. DP will have a massive booth with everything on display. Wolf one room with 2 or 3 models on display, changing them out. Runco? Doesn't matter, they won't let you in.

Last year JVC Pro was in the Embassy Suites, across the street from the convention center. They usually hold a press breakfast/event around 7:45 or 8am on Thurs. in the JVC Pro off-site location then it opens to non-press at 9am.

The big question of JVC this year is will we only see a few small updates such as full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 inputs with HDCP 2.2 and/or supporting a wider gamut(s)

------------------------------------------ OR -----------------------------------------

will JVC introduce a new flagship model that represents a significant upgrade over current models such as having native 4K resolution, a laser light engine, ?

Perhaps our European members may get some news at IFA or we might have to wait until the CEDIA. As I recall last year the news of JVC adding a DI only became public at CEDIA.

Ron Jones

Last edited by Ron Jones; 08-17-2014 at 03:08 PM.
post #85 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They did not add a Dynamic Iris like several other manufacturers did years ago. They added an Intelligent Iris. JVC staffers NEVER consciously utter the words Dynamic Iris in describing their Intelligent Iris. They have been known to slip up in private conversations. Prior to this they were lacking sufficient intelligence to implement an iris design that changed opening sizes automatically in response to specific frame content. Somehow they managed to smarten up. I would bet Sonys against JVCs that this year they will have another infusion of brain matter and have a much better implementation called Intelligent Iris II.

As for ground breaking new models what is possible besides incremental improvements of such a magnitude over what was obviously impossible for them last year. Better DILA chips, better processing, improved E-shift, better more efficient wire grid polarizers, HDCP 2.2 compliant, etc etc.

Possible biggies (and I mean bigger than the largest bird sold in northern N.J.):

1. A true 4K or UHD machine,

2. A LED lit machine,

3. A machine lit by a blue laser/yellow phosphor wheel.

Could be a combination of 1 and 2 or 3.
David Susilo likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #86 of 218 Old 08-17-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Last year JVC Pro was in the Embassy Suites, across the street from the convention center. They usually hold a press breakfast/event around 7:45 or 8am on Thurs. in the JVC Pro off-site location then it opens to non-press at 9am. ....
Mike G, are you able to confirm this ATM?
post #87 of 218 Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Dr. MW,
Are you going to Cedia? If so, does this mean you are ready to dump your Sony for a new pj? You did say you like to upgrade every two or three years.

I should add that while I am not really into audio I will be eagerly attending the Atmos demos.

post #88 of 218 Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

He has stated the answer to that question already. He is going to Cedia to party.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #89 of 218 Old 08-18-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Dr. MW,
Are you going to Cedia? If so, does this mean you are ready to dump your Sony for a new pj? You did say you like to upgrade every two or three years.

I should add that while I am not really into audio I will be eagerly attending the Atmos demos.
Yes, Mark H is correct, I will be at CEDIA, but no, I'm certainly not planning to replace my Sony1100 this go around. I will have had this Sony for 3 yrs this coming Dec/Jan, and it's not impossible that I will not see something significantly better (at an 'affordable' price) for another 2/3 yrs. I did keep the RS1 and RS20 each for 2/3 yrs, but the Sony 1000 was a larger step up in performance (and price).

I do enjoy the day or so at CEDIA, though, and probably the most interesting thing will be to see what JVC does, though it's hard to believe they will offer something that will trump the 1100 overall (for an 'affordable' price, whatever that is). I would of course like the higher o/f CR of a JVC, but will not give up the brightness of the Sony and the super dynamism of the pic (presumably due in part to its lens and higher intrascene/ANSI CR); 4K resolution is also nice at a ~1.8 PH viewing distance. I also very much appreciate the Sony's shorter min throw ratio, ~1.27, compared to JVC's ~ 1.4. For my screen size (144x72) it makes it much easier to fit the pj into the back of the room. (I could manage a 1.4 throw ratio if absolutely necessary, but it would be more of a hassle.)
post #90 of 218 Old 08-18-2014, 11:46 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
In the past I have organized multiple AVS dinners at Cedia. Unfortunately, I can't travel this year because I can't leave my giant dog for any significant period of time. It is likely we will have to put her down in the very near future but I just can't assume anything or take on social organizational responsibilities in Denver let alone planning to attend the show.

it is interesting being a long time attendee how Cedia is bombarding me with materials aimed at getting me to attend.

My interests are in video, mot audio. And nothing coming excites me very much except for DCI laser machines for use in HT applications and those I don't think will be shown at Cedia. both in the EU and here in the states

It even looks like the Epson laser projector that we have speculated about based on European announcements won't be shown because of regulatory barriers both in the EU and in the states.

A cheaper 4K Sony machine will please many but not me already owning a 1100ES. New cheap epsins with minor changes from last year, snooze.

JVC is the big unknown but I think this year will just be minor changes to last year's machines. But we can hope.

i am being selfish because I am putting my needs and expectations before others. Cedia is a great time. And if the convention center burn't down cancelling the show, Denver is still a great place to visit and to renew AVS Forun and industry friendships.
Hi Mark:

Sorry to hear about your Swissy. My Swissy has also had a very tough year, he ruptured his Left ACL back in Jume, had surgery in July and just ruptured his right ACL a few weeks ago. Thanks for the tips on owning a Swissy the breeder you recomended gave me the sweetest dog ever. Thank you again
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page