Projector recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-17-2014, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Projector recommendation

I sure appreciate this forum and the time and knowledge that everyone shares on it. It definitely helps the overwhelmed, and I fall into that category.

Our basement has been wired, and dry-walled. I will be painting and putting in carpet and then I'm ready for the projector and screen and would like to start planning that.

The basement is fully light controlled, and the screen will be framed with dark colors for 3 ft on the ceiling and walls before getting to lighter colors. The width of the room is 114 ", and I envision a 100 " wide 16:9 AT screen. The projector will mount on the (7') ceiling 15 ' away from where the screen goes. The projector will be used for:

80% movies
15% TV shows
5% football
0% gaming.

I currently don't have much interest in 3d movies, but we do have kids, so potentially our interest in 3d movies will grow.

Source... 100% of content will come from an htpc, either a streaming site or local saved content.

It seems to me that the consensus for great picture quality is the JVC. My questions...

1) Is the JVC the right one to go with for this scenario?
2) Considering it's a relatively small screen in the HT world and our video source quality, world there be a more economical choice that would give similar quality?
3) I'm open to buying the projector / screen anytime from this next month to the end of the year. Is there a best time to make the purchase with regards to deals or b-stock availability?

Thanks for your time and continued input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 924
jvc is a great choice, and the size of the screen doesn't really matter. what makes the jvc standout is it's black level and native contrast ratio.

what's more of concern is how well the light will be controlled in your room. not just directly, but also reflections off the room. you mentioned dark materials for the first 3ft before going lighter. but what is lighter? if you're planning the rest of the room to be all white or something like that, then maybe you won't get the awesome black levels the jvc is capable of, and going a little cheaper would make sense.

that's really my only 'concern' though. everything else from your intended use, to room size seems like the a jvc x35 would be a fantastic choice.

the 'usual' competition in that price range includes sony 55es, Epson 5030/6030, and Panasonic ae8000. they all have their strengths and weaknesses
post #3 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Ya, a JVC RS4910, or a Sony HW55 - hard to beat these projectors these days. Give us a call at AV Science if you want to " pick our brain " for more information and ideas.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #4 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 318
" that's really my only 'concern' though. everything else from your intended use, to room size seems like the a jvc x35 would be a fantastic choice. "

The RS46 / X35 is discontinued - gone.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I'll post a bit since no one else has posted yet... now they have...

• Typically you can't go wrong with JVC (I prefer DLP however for its sharper image - recently "upgraded" from the JVC DLA-RS45 then Epson 5030UB) - currently using a Mits HC8900DW).
  • Similar results can only be defined based on a set of wants or needs... without knowing them it's impossible to say.
  • Best time to buy is typically shortly after the new models are available. You can grab last years new or purchase a used one from someone with upgraditis.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. It is very much appreciated.

• Light Control. - Carpet gets picked out this week then the designing committee that consists of my Wife and Mother will collude and choose the colors after that. It won't be white walls, but it may be a light grey or an oatmeal type shade.
  • AV Science - Thanks... I'll be making a call to you guys soon to see prices and availability for a JVC and an AT screen
post #7 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
" that's really my only 'concern' though. everything else from your intended use, to room size seems like the a jvc x35 would be a fantastic choice. "

The RS46 / X35 is discontinued - gone.
didn't know that, have they replaced it with something yet? they are still in stock in Canada

Last edited by fierce_gt; 06-18-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - 5030UB) by PriceGrabber.com