Replace a Benq W5000 with....? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 06-21-2014, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Replace a Benq W5000 with....?

Been using the Benq W5000 for 6 years now and have had great results with it.
I would like to hear the different views on what I should step up to in a newer projector?
I want to be able to see a difference that is noticeable side by side shooting the same source.
So those of you who are familiar with the W5000 and have upgraded, let me know your thoughts.
I would like to keep my budget around $3k or so. And yes I love the DLP look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post
I would like to hear the different views on what I should step up to in a newer projector?
I want to be able to see a difference that is noticeable side by side shooting the same source.
So those of you who are familiar with the W5000 and have upgraded, let me know your thoughts.
Keep what you have.. if you are not looking for darker blacks or 3d save your money for something else.. No I don't have or know what a W5000 looks like.. but I do own the Planar PD8150 of the same vintage.. wouldn't trade it for anything new under $5000

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #3 of 26 Old 06-21-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
seems to be the case, DLP progress has been a little stagnant, so a good projector for a few years ago would still be a good projector today.

if you aren't looking for an LCOS model(which has made some steady improvements), you really need to buy something that is higher end, not just newer. newer will get you features like 3D, but a similar quality image.
post #4 of 26 Old 06-22-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Keep what you have.. if you are not looking for darker blacks or 3d save your money for something else.. No I don't have or know what a W5000 looks like.. but I do own the Planar PD8150 of the same vintage.. wouldn't trade it for anything new under $5000
Having darker blacks would be nice....if there is a noticeable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
seems to be the case, DLP progress has been a little stagnant, so a good projector for a few years ago would still be a good projector today.

if you aren't looking for an LCOS model(which has made some steady improvements), you really need to buy something that is higher end, not just newer. newer will get you features like 3D, but a similar quality image.
The Benq W5000 is still a good projector, I would just like to step up the quality a notch or two if possible.
I know the JVC's have their following, yet others feel the DLP "pop" is hard to beat.
As you can see I've been on these forums for many years and have followed the changes in the projector area.
I guess I was just fishing to see if anyone had upgraded from the Benq DLP lineup and was happy with their choice. If it cost big big bucks to do it, then I will just have to sit tight for now.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-23-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
The Planar 8150 is significantly better than the W5000, if not "obviously" so (I upgraded to the 8150 from a W5000). I'm definitely glad I upgraded, but that was 5 years ago and it was a good bit more than $3k.

I'd echo airscapes' sentiment to keep what you have. To get a significantly better DLP you'll have to go a good bit above your $3k budget. Well that or keep your eye out for a great deal on a used/demo/display unit of somethink like a Runco LS5, or one of the LED DLPs.

Actually what might be worth your money, is to get a Radiance. While the 8150/LS5 has noticeably better contrast/black level than the W5000, the biggest improvement is probably in the refinement/color performance of the image. I didn't have my Radiance when I upgraded, but I wonder if a W5000+Radiance, with the color cube calibration would be a closer match for the awesome calibration of the 8150.

The only other thing I'll add is the JVC RS49(10) is awfully tempting this year, though that too is north of your $3k budget. But basically, under $3k there's really not much out there that will get you a big upgrade without some potentially significant sacrifices, except maybe a Radiance or some great deal on a used/demo/display model.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #6 of 26 Old 06-23-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The Planar 8150 is significantly better than the W5000, if not "obviously" so (I upgraded to the 8150 from a W5000). I'm definitely glad I upgraded, but that was 5 years ago and it was a good bit more than $3k.

I'd echo airscapes' sentiment to keep what you have. To get a significantly better DLP you'll have to go a good bit above your $3k budget. Well that or keep your eye out for a great deal on a used/demo/display unit of somethink like a Runco LS5, or one of the LED DLPs.

Actually what might be worth your money, is to get a Radiance. While the 8150/LS5 has noticeably better contrast/black level than the W5000, the biggest improvement is probably in the refinement/color performance of the image. I didn't have my Radiance when I upgraded, but I wonder if a W5000+Radiance, with the color cube calibration would be a closer match for the awesome calibration of the 8150.

The only other thing I'll add is the JVC RS49(10) is awfully tempting this year, though that too is north of your $3k budget. But basically, under $3k there's really not much out there that will get you a big upgrade without some potentially significant sacrifices, except maybe a Radiance or some great deal on a used/demo/display model.
I agree, a 4910 would be a big step up from the W5000, but as you said, it is above his 3K budget.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 26 Old 06-23-2014, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stranger, I was hoping I would hear some feedback from you. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I agree, a 4910 would be a big step up from the W5000, but as you said, it is above his 3K budget.
So it looks like I need to fork out more dough, if I want "a big step" up, if I am to improve the image quality. Around $5k would get me that it appears.
So Stranger89, and Mike, both of you feel that I would see a big jump in picture quality with the new JVC then?
No point in making a change if the result is small.
I still have 20/10 vision at 52, and love a sharp image, hence having stayed with the BenqW5000 all these years, but there is more than sharpness for overall image quality as we know.
Any of last years JVC models to consider to save some bucks and still see the "big step" up?
post #8 of 26 Old 06-23-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 498
I've owned all three of the projectors talked about in this thread. The BenQ was quite the bang for the buck and unfortunately you don't see the BenQ's performance at the price point it was offered at anymore with new DLP projectors. The PD8150 (now being sold as the Runco LS-5) is my all time favorite DLP projector. It's all around performance is staggering at it's asking price compared to other DLPs. The PD8150/LS-5 will offer a sharper picture with much more contrast within the image. It's DI is superior and digs a lot deeper to give far higher contrast in darker scenes and it's black level is about as good as it gets in the DLP world. The RS4910 (or X500) from JVC is probably the best value you're going to get and probably the biggest jump in picture quality you're going to get near your budget. The Runco LS-5 costs $5995 MSRP and the X500's MSRP is about $1000 less and has a street (selling) price for even lower. It's amazing contrast, extra brightness, motorized lens features, 3D ability, and other software features really make it a strong value at it's price point. If you can stretch your budget please try because I doubt you'll disappointed with it's performance. If you REALLY MUST stay with DLP I'd look into the Runco LS-1 $3999 MSRP. It's almost exactly the same as the LS-5 but uses a DC2 DLP chip so it's contrast is about 20% less but you'd only notice it in a side by side comparison to the LS-5. It still looks excellent and is still a big jump up over the W5000 in terms of contrast and image sharpness.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I've owned all three of the projectors talked about in this thread. The BenQ was quite the bang for the buck and unfortunately you don't see the BenQ's performance at the price point it was offered at anymore with new DLP projectors. The PD8150 (now being sold as the Runco LS-5) is my all time favorite DLP projector. It's all around performance is staggering at it's asking price compared to other DLPs. The PD8150/LS-5 will offer a sharper picture with much more contrast within the image. It's DI is superior and digs a lot deeper to give far higher contrast in darker scenes and it's black level is about as good as it gets in the DLP world. The RS4910 (or X500) from JVC is probably the best value you're going to get and probably the biggest jump in picture quality you're going to get near your budget. The Runco LS-5 costs $5995 MSRP and the X500's MSRP is about $1000 less and has a street (selling) price for even lower. It's amazing contrast, extra brightness, motorized lens features, 3D ability, and other software features really make it a strong value at it's price point. If you can stretch your budget please try because I doubt you'll disappointed with it's performance. If you REALLY MUST stay with DLP I'd look into the Runco LS-1 $3999 MSRP. It's almost exactly the same as the LS-5 but uses a DC2 DLP chip so it's contrast is about 20% less but you'd only notice it in a side by side comparison to the LS-5. It still looks excellent and is still a big jump up over the W5000 in terms of contrast and image sharpness.
Seegs, I really like the input in your post, along with you have seen the W5000 and know its capabilities compared to other projectors.
So the budget must go up it appears to get the jump in performance.
Speaking of the two projectors, Runco LS-5 or JVC RS4910 (or X500), which would you go for then?
post #10 of 26 Old 06-23-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I really like the X500 (RS4910) I have. Considering you can get it cheaper than the LS-5 and it's closer to your budget, I'd go with it over the LS-5. I just think it offers a lot more value. The LS-5 has it's strengths but it's starting to show it's age when most other 2014 products add a lot more useful functionality such as 3D capabilities, motorized lens shift, lens memories, higher contrast, higher brightness, creative frame interpolation, smart sharpening software, quieter operation, ect. The LS-5 still puts out one serious 2D picture, but the X500 is just as good in it's own way and then you get all the other aforementioned extras for an even cheaper price.
post #11 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 04:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Somewhat selfishly, I'd be really curious to see what a Radiance could do with the W5000. When a lamp died unexpectedly on my 8150, I hooked my W5000 up in the interim, and somewhat surprisingly it wasn't the contrast that made me wish I had the 8150 back, it was the refinement/calibration. I'd guess (somewhat educated) that if you did a full grayscale and color cube calibration on the W5000 with a Radiance, you'd have a pretty amazing picture, and you'd have a Radiance to boot.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #12 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Somewhat selfishly, I'd be really curious to see what a Radiance could do with the W5000. When a lamp died unexpectedly on my 8150, I hooked my W5000 up in the interim, and somewhat surprisingly it wasn't the contrast that made me wish I had the 8150 back, it was the refinement/calibration. I'd guess (somewhat educated) that if you did a full grayscale and color cube calibration on the W5000 with a Radiance, you'd have a pretty amazing picture, and you'd have a Radiance to boot.
But if the OP does not have the current version of Calman or whatever other software will do a 3d Cube, A good quality meter, and the radiance, what's the outflow of money to get it all? Then there is the willingness to deal with learning the software and dealing with all the bugs that seem to continuously infect the never ending changes to the software..
However, I agree with you, a properly calibrated image tumps inky blacks, all other aspects aside.

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #13 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It should be below his budget, though not a lot. But would have the up side of making him "set" for just about any future projector he gets.

post #14 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Same here. Before this one I never used one projector this long, not even close. Before the W5000 I had six different projectors in eight years. Several years ago it seemed that every year there was something better available but after I got my W5000 and calibrated it fully myself I haven't seen any projector I wanted to trade it with.

I know there are projectors with better blacks available but there is so much more than just great black level that makes projector good. Realistic colors, DLP's high ANSI contrast ratio and very crisp picture are what I like. Too bad there are very few interesting new DLP projectors nowdays and even worse that most of them seem to be using smaller chip which will struggle offering as crisp picture unless very high quality optics is used. Also not so many even offer decent lens shift which makes selection even smaller.

Few years ago I was hoping DLP LED projectors would became common but seems very few companies are making them and they are either overpriced or not living up to expectations.

Hopefully something interesing comes up soon because I don't think this one will last for so much longer. It is on second bulb and it has total nearly 4000 hours. It once developed DLP failure which seems common and reoccuring problem so I guess it will eventually do it again.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 130
If anyone is interested I may know someone willing to sell a Marantz VP-11S2 (top of the line single chip) 6X colorwheel and one of the best lens on the market for about $2500

PM please.
post #16 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I hooked my W5000 up in the interim, and somewhat surprisingly it wasn't the contrast that made me wish I had the 8150 back, it was the refinement/calibration. I'd guess (somewhat educated) that if you did a full grayscale and color cube calibration on the W5000 with a Radiance, you'd have a pretty amazing picture, and you'd have a Radiance to boot.

Were you able to diminish or eliminate the Benq Noise in the picture.
post #17 of 26 Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I really like the X500 (RS4910) I have. Considering you can get it cheaper than the LS-5 and it's closer to your budget, I'd go with it over the LS-5. I just think it offers a lot more value. The LS-5 has it's strengths but it's starting to show it's age when most other 2014 products add a lot more useful functionality such as 3D capabilities, motorized lens shift, lens memories, higher contrast, higher brightness, creative frame interpolation, smart sharpening software, quieter operation, ect. The LS-5 still puts out one serious 2D picture, but the X500 is just as good in it's own way and then you get all the other aforementioned extras for an even cheaper price.
I just came back from the grave to have my 2nd fatal heart attack, I died twice reading this.

Why?

Because Seegs recommending a JVC over an LS-5, what has the world come to?

Not that it could not go either way (it could), I mean some might prefer the LS-5, some might prefer the JVC. It's just he's always pushed the LS-5 over the JVC's (but I guess he feels this years are that much better that now the JVC can be as default over the LS-5).

Anyhow, I don't post here that much anymore lately, just not much output to fill in as I haven't tried this year's projectors. I have been a hermit the past year or two, so my knowledge is out-dated.

(or something like that)

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #18 of 26 Old 06-25-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I just came back from the grave to have my 2nd fatal heart attack, I died twice reading this.

Why?

Because Seegs recommending a JVC over an LS-5, what has the world come to?

Not that it could not go either way (it could), I mean some might prefer the LS-5, some might prefer the JVC. It's just he's always pushed the LS-5 over the JVC's (but I guess he feels this years are that much better that now the JVC can be as default over the LS-5).

Anyhow, I don't post here that much anymore lately, just not much output to fill in as I haven't tried this year's projectors. I have been a hermit the past year or two, so my knowledge is out-dated.

(or something like that)
You have to remember this was before I experienced their last couple generations of projectors. The refinement all the way from the RS20 has "fixed" a few key issues I had with them. Most notably was the issue with motion induced contouring, aka, excessive image smear/blur and image sharpness compared to DLP. Both of those issues are basically no longer a problem with 24p material. I find that the movies captured at 24p look almost indistinguishable from a DLP projector. It's only when you go to 30+ fps that the motion deficiencies become readily apparent compared to DLP. Sharpness since the RS40 and newer has bridged the gap considerably. With film content my X500, along with the two other e-shift JVC's that I've had in the past, can actually look sharper than something like the PD8150/LS-5. The JVCs can look a tad "dull" compared to a good DLP with brighter scenes. But that difference really isn't big enough for me to keep the LS-5. There are just so many added benefits the JVC has and for me to get a bit more "pop" in brighter scenes just doesn't seem like a valid reason to go with the LS-5 considering my specific needs. I got my Runco LS-100D for a STEAL and will keep that for all my DLP needs (TV, games and other higher FPS material) and use the JVC for everything else. Like I said, both have amazing 2D performance and each do it in their own way. For the price the JVC is simply the better value, not necessarily the better projector. To tell someone which technology will better suit them should still be discusses based upon the needs of the person/application. DLP can still be the better choice and when that's the case I'd still recommend the LS-5 over an LCoS machine. I'd still rather own the LS-5 over the Sony HW55ES.

Last edited by Seegs108; 06-25-2014 at 01:00 AM.
post #19 of 26 Old 06-25-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coug7669 View Post
I don't recall there being a lot of noise in the W5000 image, or really any discussion of it, but that's been a long time ago, maybe it's something "new" on the newer 0.65" DMD BenQs?

post #20 of 26 Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What noise do you mean? I haven't seen any noise other than what has already been in the source. It is just increadibly sharp and it is not trying to do any automatic noise reduction, which I by the way hate.
post #21 of 26 Old 06-25-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
there was an slight artificially haze of grain that was always present on the 5000(owned) and 7000(previewed). I did not notice this until I was presented with a Samsung spa 800 then a 900. same set of blu rays slight grain present on the benqs not the samsungs.
post #22 of 26 Old 06-26-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
there was an slight artificially haze of grain that was always present on the 5000(owned) and 7000(previewed). I did not notice this until I was presented with a Samsung spa 800 then a 900. same set of blu rays slight grain present on the benqs not the samsungs.

I have never seen mine creating any grain that was not already in the source. However it is very sharp and it doesn't try to "improve" image, so garbage in garbage out. Also what I like is that it shows film grain faithfully and does not try to remove it in any way.

I remember before this I had other full HD DLP projector and while it had very sharp image based on test patterns, it always looked like it was not as sharp on actual movie content. Sometimes with it I felt like the difference between DVD and blu-ray version was not that huge. I guess it must have been doing some additional image processing. When I got my W5000 I was amazed how sharp it looked with every content and then I realized what I was losing before. Of course I know this is matter of taste, I know many peoples hate grainy image or film grain. I rather take mine as it is.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 06-26-2014 at 05:47 AM.
post #23 of 26 Old 06-26-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:

Sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #24 of 26 Old 07-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Blasst:

What did you end up getting? I also owned the Benq W5000 and thought it produced the sharpest image I have ever seen and that includes the Sony 4K project my buddy owns. I had the W5000 for about 1 year but it was lemon, always turning off and after sending it back to Benq 3 times they ended up giving me a W6000 which I have had for 2+ years. The Benq W5000 with the .95 DLP chip produced an extremely sharp image but there was some image noise in bright scenes which is well documented and all Clarity controls must be turned off for a natural image. What screen are you using? I had my Benq W5000 and W6000 paired up with a Dalite 92inch CinemaVision 1.3 gain screen and then jumped into a JKP .9 Gain screen and WOW, it was like getting a new projector. If your a big fan of DLP, like myself there is no other choice, LCD or LCOS will NOT cut it, I would try the Benq W7500 ( DC3 chip ) and a JKP screen.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, Dual PSA XS30se subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #25 of 26 Old 07-01-2014, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If you MUST stay with DLP. The absolute best projector for under $4000 is the Runco LS-1. You'll need to spend well over $10000 more to get appreciably better picture quality from a DLP projector. IMO there is nothing even close in price that can touch the LS-1's 2D picture quality in the DLP world. The LS-5 is a bit nicer due to the higher contrast DLP DMD, which also adds more brightness, but that will cost you an extra $3000.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-01-2014 at 10:41 PM.
post #26 of 26 Old 07-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - W5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page