Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best LCOS 2D + DLP 3D combo?

Looking for best overall price/performance here (not a "money is no object" situation).

JVC DLA-RS4910 + Sharp XV-Z30000?

Sony VPL-HW55ES + BenQ W7000?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 177
The JVC RS-4910 is certainly a step up from the Sony HW55es for 2D video. As for DLPs overall the Sharp Z30000 is one of the best single chip DLP projectors ever offered under $5000 but it, as well as the BenQ W7000, are both discontinued models. BenQ has replaced the W7000 with the W7500 which offers similar performance. Assuming you have a source for either the older W7000 or Sharp Z30000, then I would say you need to verify that both will work in your room as for the supported mounting locations relative to the screen size and location and decide how you plan to use this projector. Is it strictly for gaming or perhaps for watching 3D movies, as these are the two areas where DLP projectors generally excel. One strike against the BenQ for 3D is that it uses DLP-Link for sync with the 3D glasses and I rank this at the bottom of the 3 available technologies (RF, IR and DLP-Link in that order). The Sharp Z30000 uses IR for the 3D glasses but to its advantage the BenQ puts out more lumens allowing for a larger screen size with adequate 3D brightness. So screen size and gain also should play a role in selecting the best DLP for your specific case. You may want to check out the following reviews of these projectors:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/shar...jector-review/

http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq...jector-review/

http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/...jector-review/

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...ter-projector/

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 06-23-2014 at 07:49 AM.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-23-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAV View Post
Looking for best overall price/performance here (not a "money is no object" situation).

JVC DLA-RS4910 + Sharp XV-Z30000?

Sony VPL-HW55ES + BenQ W7000?
I sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-30-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I really can't imagine picking either of those dlp's over an Epson 5030 for 3D at the moment. High Brightness, FI, and RF (bluetooth) are the only way to go for 3d if you ask me. Until a DLP projector comes out with all of those, I wouldn't consider it. Of course I could be wrong.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-30-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post
I really can't imagine picking either of those dlp's over an Epson 5030 for 3D at the moment. High Brightness, FI, and RF (bluetooth) are the only way to go for 3d if you ask me. Until a DLP projector comes out with all of those, I wouldn't consider it. Of course I could be wrong.
There are already DLP projectors that offer all of those but unfortunately they aren't at a price point most would feel comfortable spending at.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 323
once the 5030 is color calibrated in 3D and the glasses brightness is turned down to reduce x-talk, the perceived brightness through the glasses is similar to the 30K DLP.

I had the 5030 and the 30K in a stack for a while trying to decide which one to keep for 3D but I kept going back to the sharp. the glasses are remarkable although the RF Epson are quite good as well. The 3D performance is flawless, x-talk is just not possible on this projector. motion is also quite smooth without an FI.

overall though the 5030 one of the better 3D choices for non-DLP. for those sensitive to it, it has the least perceived flicker vs. sony / jvc. The DLP is like watching a 2D movie, the 3D image is rock solid.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - W7000, by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page