1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ron Jones

post #1 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Projector Recommendation for 2.35 for $4000 or <

Looking to stay $4k and under. I'm in the build stage of my HT so it doesn't have to be something that is currently available (I'm thinking it will be done probably in the next 5 months given the amount of time I have to work on it). So anything that might be rumored to be out in the next 6 months would work as well.

The screen will be a 1.1 gain AT Falcon Screen 130" wide 2.35.

Throw distance will be ~17ft (planning on building a hush box inside my soffit to hide the projector). If this throw distance is too far, then I can hang it from the ceiling near the front row which would put it at ~12ft.

Do most higher-end projectors have lens memory these days so I don't have to worry about getting an anamorphic lens? I'd say that would be a requirement for me. I don't feel like messing with an extra lens.

Viewing would be about 30/70 movies vs 16:9 content (tv, video games, etc).

Front row is anywhere from 9-12 ft (haven't finalized that yet).

Any help would be appreciated. I can't keep up with all the news about new projectors coming out, and figured some of the experts in here could help out!

My Home Theater Build: The Vortex Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
You may be able to get a JVC RS49 for close to your target $4K either as a discounted street price or perhaps a 'B' stock. I suggest you call either Mike or Craig at the AVS Store for their pricing. These projectors have lens memory to handle multiple aspect ratios and they offer better 2D performance overall for movies and TV viewing than any other projector in this price range. However, if you plan to also use the projector for serious gaming then you may want a projector with lower input lag times.
AV Science Sales 5 likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
You may be able to get a JVC RS49 for close to your target $4K either as a discounted street price or perhaps a 'B' stock. I suggest you call either Mike or Craig at the AVS Store for their pricing. These projectors have lens memory to handle multiple aspect ratios and they offer better 2D performance overall for movies and TV viewing than any other projector in this price range. However, if you plan to also use the projector for serious gaming then you may want a projector with lower input lag times.
A JVC RS4910 is your best bet - give me a call.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #4 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I second that.

Stef
post #5 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

How high is the input lag on it? I am going to do a considerable amount of gaming on it.

I don't care too much about 3D.

post #6 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
How high is the input lag on it? I am going to do a considerable amount of gaming on it.

I have heard that the Panasonic PT-AE8000U has good lag times, and can be had around half your budget (it also has lens memory). I am in a similar boat, but I am hoping that they release an update to the 8000U as it has been on the market for around 2 years and could see a refresh at CEDIA in Sept.(?) I am interested to hear a response from people who know more about the JVC recommended in this article, and how it stacks up against the Panasonic.

From what I have gathered, JVC has the some of the best black levels, but unless you are completely dedicated to making your theater light-proofed, you are wasting one of the greatest advantages of the projector. I love my AX-200U (which is only 720P) for gaming as the light output is good for ambient lighting when I have guests over. I am waiting to design a proper home theater before I jump on the 8000, but I am open to whatever comes along that is of better value for my needs until that time comes, so I look forward for some JVC fans to speak up for their projector choice.

Last edited by Damon_DR; 06-27-2014 at 02:31 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon_DR View Post
I have heard that the Panasonic PT-AE8000U has good lag times, and can be had around half your budget (it also has lens memory). I am in a similar boat, but I am hoping that they release an update to the 8000U as it has been on the market for around 2 years and could see a refresh at CEDIA in Sept.(?) I am interested to hear a response from people who know more about the JVC recommended in this article, and how it stacks up against the Panasonic.

From what I have gathered, JVC has the some of the best black levels, but unless you are completely dedicated to making your theater light-proofed, you are wasting one of the greatest advantages of the projector. I love my AX-200U (which is only 720P) for gaming as the light output is good for ambient lighting when I have guests over. I am waiting to design a proper home theater before I jump on the 8000, but I am open to whatever comes along that is of better value for my needs until that time comes, so I look forward for some JVC fans to speak up for their projector choice.
Great information. The theater will be completely lightproofed (and soundproofed as well), so I will have completely control of ambient light.

I don't mind some input lag (I'm not a twitch game 36-3 K/D ratio kind of guy), but ghosting and noticeable lag definitely is a no-go.

Generally in this price range (3-5k), is a 17-18' throw distance (to a 130" wide 1.1 AT screen) going to be an issue with brightness?

post #8 of 15 Old 06-27-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The current generation of JVC projectors have been reported to have about 120 ms of lag. Since you want to use a scope screen with a price limit of $4K there are very few projectors available with lens memory. For models with lens memory other than the JVC models there are only the Panasonic PT-AE8000U and the Sharp XV-Z30000 (now discontinued but may still be available). For models lacking lens memory, you could go with a projector with power focus, zoom and lens shift which can be workable for going between 1.78:1 to 2.35:1 but certainly not nearly as convenient as having lens memory to automate the process. As a general rule projectors that are considered top tier for providing the best video quality for movies are not well suited for gaming. These high quality home theater models usually have several video processing features each of which adds to the lag time and there are usually at least some of these that cannot be bypassed. Often the best gaming projectors are the cheap DLP models with very minimal video processing but with only modest video quality.

Ron Jones
post #9 of 15 Old 06-28-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Is it a price thing? I could probably justify up to 6k or so, but more than that is a bit much.

Seems the 8000u would be the best fit but it's almost 2 years old now...
post #10 of 15 Old 06-28-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

One alternative for some cinema lovers + gamers is to use two projectors. One inexpensive (~$1K) DLP for gaming and then a quality projector, such as the JVC RS49/RS4910 for watching movies. If you are not in a big hurry, the CEDIA Expo is coming up in Sept. and that's where most of the new projectors are announced. Perhaps a new model with lens memory plus a gaming mode will be announced for release later this year.

Ron Jones
post #11 of 15 Old 06-28-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I own the JVC RS55, and it is in a hush box at about 17 feet from the screen (screen is 110" 2.35). I will say that if you are building a hush box, then see if you can install an exhaust fan to help draw heat from the projector. Lens memory is definitely worth getting--makes everything much easier. The 55 does make it easy to add an anamorphic lens if you later decide you want one because it will do the scaling for you. I can't speak to the lag for video games since I only use my projector for movies, but if you do a lot of gaming/movies with dark scenes then the black levels are worth investing in.

Basically my advice is find something with a great picture, then go with Ron's advice and get another projector (or just use a tv) for gaming if you think the lag is frustrating.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-29-2014, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Cedia is in September do I would wait to see what gets announced before making a decision. Currently, with a little discount you could get a Sony HW40ES and a Panamorph Cinevista lens for under or about $4k. This would be a great combo. Good lag times for gaming and very good 2D/3D performance. The JVC-4910 is a great projector but if you are a gamer the lag time will not be acceptable.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like waiting for Cedia is what I'll do. I'm in no hurry - I seriously doubt I'll be ready for a projector before September at the rate the build is going.

If a throw of 17-18feet to a 130" wide screen won't be an issue with brightness then I definitely will go the hushbox route and build it into my soffit. There is a HVAC return in the soffit right next to where the projector would be, so I can tie a fan or two to the hush box and pull the hot air into the hvac return.

post #14 of 15 Old 06-30-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Sounds like waiting for Cedia is what I'll do. I'm in no hurry - I seriously doubt I'll be ready for a projector before September at the rate the build is going.

If a throw of 17-18feet to a 130" wide screen won't be an issue with brightness then I definitely will go the hushbox route and build it into my soffit. There is a HVAC return in the soffit right next to where the projector would be, so I can tie a fan or two to the hush box and pull the hot air into the hvac return.
Projectors announced in September. The new JVC's will not be released until mid December. Sony usually releases in late October or November, but that has stretched into January before.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #15 of 15 Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Can't comment on the 8k or JVC but I've done a good deal of gaming both PC and PS3 on a Pany 4k and it's very smooth. I'm sure the Pany 8k would be better. The main selling point to me for the JVC is the 4k resolution.

If you use the zoom method for 2.35:1 you do soften the image and that is where 4k would help. Of course you could by the Pany 8k and an anamorphic lens for about the same cost as the JVC.

I have at least 2 more years before I upgrade my Pany 4k at that time I'll go with a 4k res projector. Hopefully by then Panasonic will have one.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page