Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What is the equivalent to Epson 6500ub?

My 6500 was fried by a lightning strike last week and the insurance company is coming out to determine if it can be fixed or trashed. I assume it can not be fixed because it will not process any signal fed to it, either hdmi or component. Because the 6500 has been discontinued, they said they would replace it with an equivalent model or closest match. I will probably just take the money, add a few bucks of my own and upgrade to the 5030 or 6030.

I know they will try to low ball me initially with a lessor model so my question is what is considered the current equivalent of the 6500 in terms of features and price?

shortspark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post
My 6500 was fried by a lightning strike last week and the insurance company is coming out to determine if it can be fixed or trashed. I assume it can not be fixed because it will not process any signal fed to it, either hdmi or component. Because the 6500 has been discontinued, they said they would replace it with an equivalent model or closest match. I will probably just take the money, add a few bucks of my own and upgrade to the 5030 or 6030.

I know they will try to low ball me initially with a lessor model so my question is what is considered the current equivalent of the 6500 in terms of features and price?

The 6500UB was a 1080p UB model (providing higher contrast ratio than Epson's non-UB models). I would stress the other key features of the 6500UB were a wide zoom range plus both vertical and horizontal lens shift. I would think of the current models from Epson, the least expensive model that might be claimed to be equivalent is the Home Cinema 8350 ($1299 list price). However this is non-UB model and as noted in the Projector Reviews evaluation of this model, its black level performance is not as good as with the UB models. Other than black level performance the 8350 is very similar feature-wise to the 6500UB.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...e-cinema-8350/

In the past Epson offered the 8500UB and 8700UB which were the direct successors to the 6500UB. However, Epson currently offers no 2D only UB models and the current UB models are limited with the 5030UB being the least expensive, and it outperforms the 6500UB as well as adding 3D support.
AV Science Sales 5 likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Great guys! Just what I needed.

shortspark
Old 07-02-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 533
The 6500UB was Epson's top of the line projector. The current top of the line is the 5030. I would go at it with that approach. Also look up what you paid for the 6500UB and I think you will find the 5030 is right in line with it.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 07-02-2014, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The 6500UB was Epson's top of the line projector. The current top of the line is the 5030. I would go at it with that approach. Also look up what you paid for the 6500UB and I think you will find the 5030 is right in line with it.
Thanks Mike, that is what I thought. In fact, I think I purchased the projector from you!

shortspark

Tags
epson 6500ub