Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exclamation Need some help with my JVC RS15

Hey guys/gals,

Have a bizarre situation going on with my JVC RS15 projector. Bought it roughly 4 years ago from A/V Science, and it's been great - have only replaced the lamp once, and we've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it since 2010... until this evening.

So, here's the scoop: the projector is off, all lights are off (including standby), and the lens cover is closed. Basically, exactly how we left it last night after turning everything off. Except, the lens cover is making a clicking/bang sound every second or two, like the damn thing is possessed. Unplug it, and the clicking still goes for a few more seconds, but finally will stop. But no matter how long you leave it unplugged, once you plug it back in, it starts back up again. And no combination (that I can figure out) of buttons pressed overrides whatever is going on and restarts the projector. And no standby light returns either.

We did have lightning/thunderstorms roll through earlier, but never lost power (and the projector was off the entire time - but not unplugged, just turned off). I'm not a big believer in coincidence so I expect that may be related - but I'm hoping there's some sort of reset I can try instead of getting a "dude, your projector is toast" confirmation.

Please help! Any/all contributions welcome. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/v HD fan View Post
Hey guys/gals,

Have a bizarre situation going on with my JVC RS15 projector. Bought it roughly 4 years ago from A/V Science, and it's been great - have only replaced the lamp once, and we've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it since 2010... until this evening.

So, here's the scoop: the projector is off, all lights are off (including standby), and the lens cover is closed. Basically, exactly how we left it last night after turning everything off. Except, the lens cover is making a clicking/bang sound every second or two, like the damn thing is possessed. Unplug it, and the clicking still goes for a few more seconds, but finally will stop. But no matter how long you leave it unplugged, once you plug it back in, it starts back up again. And no combination (that I can figure out) of buttons pressed overrides whatever is going on and restarts the projector. And no standby light returns either.

We did have lightning/thunderstorms roll through earlier, but never lost power (and the projector was off the entire time - but not unplugged, just turned off). I'm not a big believer in coincidence so I expect that may be related - but I'm hoping there's some sort of reset I can try instead of getting a "dude, your projector is toast" confirmation.

Please help! Any/all contributions welcome. Thanks in advance.
Can anyone please help with this? JVC RS15 that has to be unplugged because plugged in, there's a click/clunk sound coming from the closed lens cover, and no lights on the projector body light up.

Is there any way to do a "hard reset" using some button sequence/combo on the body? I'd hate to send it off if there was something simple I could try first.

Should I plan on just packing it up and sending it somewhere for diagnosis? If so, who is well-regarded in LCOS/D-ILA projector diagnosis and repair?

Thanks - I appreciate the communities' help. If this is better posted in the "official" owners thread for my PJ, I will ask a mod to move it there instead.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 395
your best option might be to send it to Mendtronix, they are the official repair company that handles JVC's warranty. They also handle out of warranty service as well.

http://mendtronix.com/in-warranty-an...ty-repair.html

I would personally be taking the projector apart and look at the area where the motor is that actuates the lens door.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
your best option might be to send it to Mendtronix, they are the official repair company that handles JVC's warranty. They also handle out of warranty service as well.

I would personally be taking the projector apart and look at the area where the motor is that actuates the lens door.
Thanks!

I don't have the first clue about how to take it apart and peek around inside, however...
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 395
The best bet would be to send it in for a repair quote. It might be a simple door motor replacement and worth repairing if you like the PQ of the projector.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Yep. I would leave the doors in the open position and disconnect the motor if possible.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Yep. I would leave the doors in the open position and disconnect the motor if possible.
Thanks Mike Garrett,

Is Jason Turk still with you guys? Please tell him hello, if so. He helped me with this B-stock JVC 4ish years ago and it's been great.

Depending on what I hear from Mendtronix, I may be making a call in your direction for a replacement (if repair turns out to be impossible or too much $$$$)... will keep you posted...

Thanks again.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page