Projectors for mixed use room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projectors for mixed use room

I am considering using a projector in my living room. Is it practical to use a projector where there will be varied levels of light in room or will the images look washed out when lights are on? If so which would you recommend? Budget is up to $25-30K or so. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I imagine you can do what you want for much less than that unless you're going for very large screen. You're going to need to concern yourself more with the screen, rather than the projector (although they need to be appropriately paired). Look at the 'screen' forum here to investigate ambient light rejecting screens.

As an example, I use my Epson 5030UB with a 100" Elite CineGrey 5D in my living room, which is very much mixed use. The daytime/lights on viewing qualities are pretty good. The nighttime qualities are also good, but I suspect a white screen would give the best viewing experience.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-09-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 212
With the kind of budget you have you could go with a Sony 4K/UHD projector (models VPL-VW600es or VPL-VW1100es) plus a screen designed to help reject ambient lights in the room (but these must not be located along the wall opposite the screen: i.e., not located behind the projector). Two of the best screens for this are the ones from Screen Innovations (SI) using their Black Diamond fabric and the screens from Stewart using their Firehawk G4 material. While these screen materials are less than ideal for use in a room with total light control, they do a good job for providing an acceptable image in a room with some ambient light. Some people will go as far as using two screens (e.g., with an electric drop down model mounted just in front of a fixed model). For example, the fixed model could be used during the daytime with that one being designed to deal with some room lighting then by lowering the drop down one for viewing movies during the night to providing optimum results for when the room can be fully dark. In this latter case a second screen such as Stewart screen using their StudioTek 100 fabric would be a excellent choice.

The ideal screen size will depending on the room size and viewing distance and you might want to consider using a screen with a "scope" aspect ratio (2.35:1) rather than the traditional HDTV 16x9 (1.78:1) for movie viewing, especially if you were to go with a dual screen setup. If a really large screen size is appropriate you might need to go with a projector having higher light output than the above Sony 4K/UHD models and in that case the 3-chip DLP models from companies such as Runco, Digital Projection International and Sim2 could be considered.

I suggest you call Mike (585-671-2968) or Craig (585-671-2972) from the AV Science store to get their suggestions for your specific situation.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 07-09-2014 at 11:11 AM.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-09-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshop View Post
I am considering using a projector in my living room. Is it practical to use a projector where there will be varied levels of light in room or will the images look washed out when lights are on? If so which would you recommend? Budget is up to $25-30K or so. Thanks in advance.
Lots of additional info is needed. I sent you a PM with a list of questions. Give us a call and we can walk you through this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - 5030UB by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page