Need some help with HT Design/Projector Choice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-14-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help with HT Design/Projector Choice

I'm trying to setup a room in my basement to use as a dedicated HT. I had a dual purpose family room setup, but we use the system enough that I've decided to make a room for it. I have a Digital Projection Highlite 260 HC, Seymour AV acoustically transparent screen (1.0 gain), and Triad silver inwall speakers from my old setup. I'd like to reuse some of these things, but would change if there was a big improvement to be had. Some detials of the new room:

Dimensions: 15' deep x 13' wide x 7.5' ceilings
Light control: very good, no windows and charcoal gray walls (yippee, I've always wanted this)
Viewing distance: one row at 12'
Projector distance: 12.5' lens to screen, mounted just above/behind the seating
Projector: TBD
Screen material: TBD
Screen size: 90 x 50 for HDTV watching
Screen size: 105 x 44 for widescreen (Not CIH, but I have DIY custom masks to do this)
Content: 50% sports, 20% HDTV, 30% movies, no gaming or 3D

1) Keep my DPI three chip unit and change the lens for the right throw
PRO - great light output, great colors, DLP image really pops, enough light for the AT Screen
CON - no iris so the image can get bright, the new DPI lens is expensive

2) Good single chip unit like Sim2 HT3000E
PRO - good light, .95 DLP sharpness, no iriis but bulb power can be adjusted
CON - rainbows, would I miss 3 chip colors

3) Good LED single chip unit like Runco 750i or Projection Design FL32
PRO - .95 DLP sharpness, 3 chip colors, no rainbows
CON - probably need non AT screen with gain

4) JVC 4910
PRO - latest technology, great blacks (the dedicated room can take adantage of this), zoom memory is ideal for my two screens
CON - not as sharp as DLP (is this true), not true 4k, not as good with sports

5) Sony vw600es
PRO - true 4k image, good blacks and light output, zoom memory
CON - not as good with sports, very expensive, may need a screen change because of texture in the AT weave

There are a lot of choices and I've listed them in order of expense for me. I plan to have this room for about 3 years before we move. Any thoughts or guidance would be great.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 545
With 50% sports, I would probably keep your projector and change the lens. I would go with a larger screen, but stay with AT and use the Triad Silver in-wall speakers. You do not say, what subs you have, but in a dedicated room, I would go with a lot of bass capability. If we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
With 50% sports, I would probably keep your projector and change the lens. I would go with a larger screen, but stay with AT and use the Triad Silver in-wall speakers. You do not say, what subs you have, but in a dedicated room, I would go with a lot of bass capability. If we can help you, give us a call.
I use two BagEnd 18" Infrasubs. The lens on the Highlite is as expensive as some of the projectors on my list.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am running the Runco Q-750i on a 120" wide 2.35 Stewart Firehawk G3 and it is plenty bright. I had it running side by side for a while next to a Runco LS-5 and the brightness was very similar from both. The LED's are definitely brighter than they measure. Personally, I would be using around 700 lumens as an estimate of comparable brightness when doing your calcs. Based on your measurements I believe that this projector would work very well in your set up.

If you do decide to sell the Highlite I may be interested.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkumar View Post
I use two BagEnd 18" Infrasubs. The lens on the Highlite is as expensive as some of the projectors on my list.
I guess you did not like my answer. I would be happy to sell you a VW600ES, a DPI or a JVC.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Seanoo,
I'm glad to hear LED works in your setup. I really like the idea of using a unit like that with no lamp life problems. When you got your Runco LED, did you compare it to other units like the SIM, Wolf, Vango etc. They claim to have higher light output capability so I was wondering if you had a chance to see if that was true.

Mike,
Your suggestion is one of my top choices, but I'm exploring other things because it is expensive.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Seanoo,
I'm glad to hear LED works in your setup. I really like the idea of using a unit like that with no lamp life problems. When you got your Runco LED, did you compare it to other units like the SIM, Wolf, Vango etc. They claim to have higher light output capability so I was wondering if you had a chance to see if that was true.

Mike,
Your suggestion is one of my top choices, but I'm exploring other things because it is expensive.
Unfortunately, there was nobody demoing the other LED units when I purchased so I didn't get a chance to compare the Runco Q-750i to the others available. I can tell you that the Q-750i was significantly brighter than the JVC RS20 that I previously owned. The JVC measured something like 400 lumens after 200hrs on a lamp and looked like 400 lumens. The Q-750i measured 450 lumens and looked like 700 (estimate based on what my LS-5 measured).

You might try dropping a pm to "seegs108" as he has owned a number of LED's and should be able to provide you some feedback. I'm pretty sure though that he's only owned different LED projectors built around the same Phlatlight engine and not the alternate design that the Sim2 Mico 50 uses. From what I've heard, many who have seen the M.150 have been disappointed with the claimed increased light output. I have, however, spoken with someone on Audiogon who owned the Runco Q-750i followed by a Sim2 Mico 50 and he found that the Mico had slightly better light output. The issue is finding one of these at a decent used price though.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Seanoo,

Mike,
We do have one DPI Cine 1000 LED left.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
We do have one DPI Cine 1000 LED left.
I was wondering why that hadn't come up yet! But seriously, this is what I'd be looking at seriously if I was in your position. I have been considering moving to this projector from my Q-750i.