What projectors should I look at? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What projectors should I look at?

I posted this in the under $3,000 thread, but figured I should post it here too in case there wasn't much under $3,000 for my needs/wants.

I'm looking at either a 120" or 130" screen (give or take), at a distance of 14 to 18 feet (depends on which way I arrange the room). The room will be light controlled with no light from the outside, black ceiling, and dark matte walls.

I will have a 2.35 CIH screen, so I want a zoom memory function.

3D will be used and quality is important, but not priority.

There will be some gaming, but absolutely no first person shooters. Some 3rd person shooters maybe, and other action games (Think Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us, etc.), and role playing games. Again, quality is important, but gaming isn't the priority.

Exact budget is uncertain, but I can go over $3,000 if necessary.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I would say for all of your needs the Sony VPL-HW55ES is probably your best bet. In the $3000+ category I don't think there is a 3D capable projector that has a dedicated game mode that gives you decent input lag performance. For this model the input lag is 26ms which is excellent, especially for projectors. Others will of course try and provide some insight but I think that's your best bet. The only issue is that there aren't motorized lens functions on this model, which means to fill your screen for scope movies you'll need to zoom manually. There are only a couple projectors that offer motorized lens options (with lens memory) near the price of the Sony (JVC DLA-X35 or the Panasonic PT-AE8000) but have a lot more input lag which will make it a poor choice for gaming on.

I should also mention that the Sony VPL-HW40ES (which is the 55ES with an dynamic iris) has a measured game mode of only 24ms of input lag. This is a cheaper alternative to the 55ES and is a great option as well as long as you can live without a dynamic iris.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-18-2014 at 03:58 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-18-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Your only real choices for use with a 2.35:1 screen at anywhere close to $3K are the Panasonic PT-AE8000 or the JVC DLA-RS46 models that include lens memory. Between these two I would pick the JVC. If you want a really high quality image for movie viewing, then adjust you budget up a thousand or so and consider the JVC DLA-RS4910. However, the JVCs have more input lag than the Panasonic, but if you are not a serious gamer that may not matter.

The AV Science store offers good discounts on JVC projectors and great service. I suggest call Mike (585-671-2968) from the store and he can setup you up. The following link is for the review of the JVC series including the JVC DLS-RS49 and RS4910.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/...jector-review/

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 07-18-2014 at 06:07 PM.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-18-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I just remembered the RS46 is now discontinued. There is probably still stock out there but you may start to find it difficult to find one. Either way, I still think the RS46 has too much lag for something like a third person shooter. It's been measured at 87 ms and the Panasonic PT-AE8000 is measured at 67 ms. The issue here is gaming. The JVC is the best projector regarding overall picture quality in this price range but if you plan on gaming you'll most likely find the lag on it bad and the Panasonic only a tad better. It's just that the Sony is around 25ms depending on which model you look at. That's SO much better than the other two options presented here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-18-2014 at 05:13 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-18-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post

I'm looking at either a 120" or 130" screen (give or take), at a distance of 14 to 18 feet (depends on which way I arrange the room). The room will be light controlled with no light from the outside, black ceiling, and dark matte walls.
This kind of setup is ideal for the JVC projectors, you can still pick up the base model RS46 for under 3K. I have one of these in my HT and it has an excellent 2D image. depending if your screen has gain, 3D brightness could be tough @ 120-130 on any of the mentioned models.

If the primary purpose is for movies + some gaming, give it a shot because it has the best 2D PQ in this price category. It will excel in your room being light controlled + black ceiling & dark walls. If the gaming is acceptable, good deal. If not, you can always add an inexpensive DLP projector at a later time.

post #6 of 13 Old 07-19-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
This kind of setup is ideal for the JVC projectors, you can still pick up the base model RS46 for under 3K. I have one of these in my HT and it has an excellent 2D image. depending if your screen has gain, 3D brightness could be tough @ 120-130 on any of the mentioned models.

If the primary purpose is for movies + some gaming, give it a shot because it has the best 2D PQ in this price category. It will excel in your room being light controlled + black ceiling & dark walls. If the gaming is acceptable, good deal. If not, you can always add an inexpensive DLP projector at a later time.
46's are getting hard to find. AVAD is out of them at all of their locations, from what I have been told.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If the 46's are hard to find, what advantages does the next level up offer? The 49/4910?
post #8 of 13 Old 07-19-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
If the 46's are hard to find, what advantages does the next level up offer? The 49/4910?
The RS49 and RS4910 are essentially the same projector, but the 4910 includes extras (e.g., one year of additional warranty). These models came out one year after the RS46 and include some key features missing on the RS46. First is the 'eshift' feature which provides pseudo 4K/UHD images with upscaling for HD images or with a 4K/UHD signal input. This is not a true native 4K/Ultra High Definition projector like the much more expensive Sony models, but it is a step up from a traditional 1080p projector. The second additional feature is a dynamic iris which when used provides extreme dark blacks and a very high on/off contrast ratio. Of course you need a room with full light control and with the wall and ceiling painted a dark color to full realize the full benefits of these projectors. The RS49 and RS4910 provide the best 2D images for viewing movies of any projector in this price range and represent a worthwhile step up from the RS46.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9 of 13 Old 07-19-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
The RS49 and RS4910 are essentially the same projector, but the 4910 includes extras (e.g., one year of additional warranty). These models came out one year after the RS46 and include some key features missing on the RS46. First is the 'eshift' feature which provides pseudo 4K/UHD images with upscaling for HD images or with a 4K/UHD signal input. This is not a true native 4K/Ultra High Definition projector like the much more expensive Sony models, but it is a step up from a traditional 1080p projector. The second additional feature is a dynamic iris which when used provides extreme dark blacks and a very high on/off contrast ratio. Of course you need a room with full light control and with the wall and ceiling painted a dark color to full realize the full benefits of these projectors. The RS49 and RS4910 provide the best 2D images for viewing movies of any projector in this price range and represent a worthwhile step up from the RS46.
A couple other features, the RS49 and RS4910 have a full CMS (color management system) and the 4910 has an extra year of warranty (one of the extras Ron speaks of).

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-19-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Kevin,

If you end up buying something different than the Panasonic AE8000U that you saw at my place last night - consider brining it over to my house for a little projector shootout before you mount it up permanently. I know there would be interest in comparing something JVC or Sony to Panasonic by some of the locals here. We've talked about doing that, but I think the 8000 is about the newest of our little group of friends. Jedimastergrant has a nice JVC, but didn't seem very interested in trying to do the comparison with his JVC (it is kinda of a hassle when they are already mounted and everything.) Just something to keep in mind.

I game with my Panasonic and the 30ms or so of input lag on the 8000 is not something I notice at all. A buddy Luke Kamp, has an older JVC with 80ms of lag and he says it's pretty much unusable if you try to play anything competitively and the controls feel a bit slow -- so much so that he's considering buying a secondary $1k dlp projector to use for gaming and keep the JVC for its movie quality. I've recently seen a professionally calibrated Sony HW55ES at dlbecks on an nearly identical sized scope screen --- and it's supposed to be quite a bit better projector -- and it is very nice! --- but to my eyes I don't see that my uncalibrated Panasonic gives up anything notable to the Sony, and the Panasonic is about $1k cheaper. Perhaps in the same room the difference would be more notable. Regardless - it'd be fun to do a little shootout in the same room with a newer model competing projector. I'm not married to Panasonic -- if something gives it a sound whipping in the same price range - I'd not be hesitant to trade it out. In my traveling to various home theaters all over the states for these meets I attend - the only projector I've personally seen that really soundly beat the Panasonic I have was Craig John's JVC DLA X70/RS55 with an anamorphic lens and 4k eshift on the same Seymour XD screen material I use. It had the very definition of inky blacks and was extraordinarily clear - but that projector is significantly more than the $1,900 I paid for my Panasonic 8000 in April of this year. (and then you add the a-lens for a couple k more and your up to $7,500ish for something similar) -- Very nice if you've got the coin - but not in the $3k bracket.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

Last edited by Archaea; 07-19-2014 at 06:44 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-19-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting. CNET measured 67ms of input lag on the Panny. The newer JVCs are measured around 87ms.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-19-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 675
34 ms for panasonic 8000

And faster than the epson 5030 regardless of mode when tested head to head according to this review.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/pana...Lag-and-Gaming

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #13 of 13 Old 07-20-2014, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

CNET must have been in a "cinema" mode or some mode similar. Good to know. Thanks.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
Gear in this thread - PT-AE8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page