Sim C3xe owner-- is it a good time to upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-20-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sim C3xe owner-- is it a good time to upgrade

I've have been sitting on the fence for a few years now looking for a good enough gap or should I say improvement to upgrade my home theater video projector. I have to say our family have enjoyed the Sim c3xe 720p 3chip DLP for a number of years. I think with the introduction of the Sony VW 600 that it may be time to upgrade.

So the question is:
When is the best time in the year to get a good price on one? Or wait until the cheaper Sony 4k version to come out in the fall.

I saw some resales at terrific prices and heard of some aggressive pricing currently being offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
The 'best' time to upgrade is probably after the CEDIA Expo show (in September). You can either find a good pre-order price for a new 2015 model announced at the show or perhaps find close-out deals on the 2014 models that are being replaced. Usually the new models announced at the CEDIA show begin shipping anywhere from October to January.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 07-20-2014, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
The 'best' time to upgrade is probably after the CEDIA Expo show (in September). You can either find a good pre-order price for a new 2015 model announced at the show or perhaps find close-out deals on the 2014 models that are being replaced. Usually the new models announced at the CEDIA show begin shipping anywhere from October to January.
Thanks. So when Sony introduces its entry level 4k projector in September that might have an impact on the Sony VW 600 pricing?
Old 07-20-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Most likely not. The 600ES will stay as a part of their line-up just like the 1100ES will and has. They may not offer a cheaper model this year, we'll see. But if that's the case, I highly doubt the price of a 600ES will go down.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I would wait until cedia. Sony prices will go down. The question is: what new projectors will sony announce? An improved, more expensive 4k model or a downsized, less expensive 4k model? in either case, you will get the 600ES for less, or a better projector for the same price...

Stef
Old 07-20-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Why didn't the 1100ES price go down when the 600ES was released then? In fact, it went up $2000. It's the same projector as the 1000ES with a different motherboard.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I thought both the VPL-VE600ES and the VPL-VW110ES were announced in september 2013?

Stef
Old 07-20-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

They were, but like I said, the 1100ES is the same projector with some updated processing and the price went up $2000, not down.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
If Sony does not introduce a new (i.e., third) entry level model below the VW600es then my guess is they will drop the MSRP of the VW600es to bring its price more in line with that of the VW500 (virtually the same as the VW600 but sold everywhere outside the USA). I could see Sony might have some small updates for the VW1100 and VW600 for 2015 with a model number roll for the updated models. We'll find out by Sept. 10th or 11th, depending on which day Sony schedules their CEDIA press conference. I plan to be there and will post the info on my Projector Reviews blog. We also might get some word on a new entry level model a week earlier at the IFA show in Berlin.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 07-21-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I'm going to throw out a little different perspective. Every day that passes we get closer to knowing what the "true" 4K specs will be, and the availability of content (ie a 4K Blu-ray Disc). For a while it looked like this holiday season, but now it's looking like a 2015 or possibly 2016 phenomenon. On the one hand, now is a great time to buy as the quality has never been higher and prices never lower, but at the same time, if you've held out this long with a 720p machine, or maybe more importantly, if you don't want to be "out of date" in a year or two, then you may want to hold off buying anything until you can get something you know will fully support 4K media.

Right now the only 4K machines available (Sony's) don't support what seems most likely to be required by 4K media, ie high bit depths (10 or 12 bit color), higher color subsampling (ie 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0), or higher frame rates (ie 60fps). Personally if I were going to spend $10-20k on a projector today, I would not want to feel like I need to replace it in a year or two when 4K BD comes out and it's features/requirements are not supported.

On the other hand, if you were to go with something like a JVC RS4910, or similar, something "inexpensive" but that throws and awesome 1080p picture to tide you over, that might be a good option.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Old 07-21-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Why didn't the 1100ES price go down when the 600ES was released then? In fact, it went up $2000. It's the same projector as the 1000ES with a different motherboard.
To be fair, the cost of the mother board upgrade for the VPL-VW1000ES to give it equal performance with the VPL-1100ES brought the price in line with the VPL-VW1100ES. Net-net value is more or less the same.

If you look at both the MSRP and especially the street price of the VPL-1100ES and the VPL-500ES (arguably the same projector as the VPL-600ES) outside the US, it's clear to see the US market as well as some other western markets are being taken advantage of by Sony. Adjusting pricing to the levels in Japan would represent a substantial price drop. Of course Sony is not likely to do this as there is no competition and they, Sony, seem to have done a reasonably good job getting the market to drink 4K Kool-Aid.

Just imagine, the VP of Sony sales reports to the board that they are selling projectors with undefined 4K hardware (or hardware that only works with Sony Entertainment downloads) for which there is no 4K source material for double the price of the home market. That's selling a dream! It's a goose that lays gold eggs!

There clearly is room for a price drop. Will Sony do it? I don't think so; at least not until there is some competition or sales of the existing models decline.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 531
With Sony's SURE pricing policy, pricing will not be going down, until projector reaches end of live and is removed from the SURE policy. Since the 600 just came out last year, it will most likely carry through. So do not look for it to be removed from the SURE policy until around CEDIA of 2015. Sony could introduce a cheaper 4K projector, but if they do, it will most likely have manual lens controls and a cheaper lens. Sony has offered a preorder special at the show, but not in the last couple of years.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .