Help please. Best Multi-Use Projector for $5k or less. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bearcat2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fremont, NE
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Help please. Best Multi-Use Projector for $5k or less.

Hey everyone, I am looking to be building a theater room that will be about 16' deep by 19' wide and was looking for a bit of help in determining the best projector for the room. Its going to be shining on a 120" screen and will be for multipurpose use, tv watching, lots of sports, and some gaming. The room will have a small amount of noncontrolled light during the daytime but nothing direct. I'd like to mount it on a shelf that will be built into the ceiling so I'd like one fairly slim (6-8"). The ceiling will be 8'8" so the projector would have to have a fair amount of vertical lens shift too as I can mount it pretty much central to the screen. I'm looking to spend about $3-5k and after looking at post after post, I felt overwhelmed and just needed to ask for help. I see Epson 5030 and 6030 all over the place but just didn't know if there would be a better option for another $2k or so. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! -Bearcat
bearcat2002 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-20-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Why not consider the JVC 4910 (500) It is an amazing projector for under $4,000. Contact Mike at AVS for more information. You can also check out the threads on the projector.
rwestley is offline  
Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bearcat2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fremont, NE
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
Why not consider the JVC 4910 (500) It is an amazing projector for under $4,000. Contact Mike at AVS for more information. You can also check out the threads on the projector.
I will look into it. I am totally open for suggestions. You feel it's way better than the epson?
bearcat2002 is online now  
Old 07-20-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2002 View Post
I will look into it. I am totally open for suggestions. You feel it's way better than the epson?
I suggest that you look at the reviews and you will see that the JVC RS4910 is really this years best buy in a projector under $5,000. The blacks are amazing. I don't feel the Epson is in the same league.
rwestley is offline  
Old 07-20-2014, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bearcat2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fremont, NE
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are the upper jvcs much better? Would an sony 500es be better than the jvcs?
bearcat2002 is online now  
Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2002 View Post
Are the upper jvcs much better? Would an sony 500es be better than the jvcs?
The RS4910 represents the best buy in the JVC line. The difference is not that great with the more expensive units. The Sony 500ES (600) is a 4K projector and at this point there is not much 4K available. It is a great projector but at this point unless you want to spend between $10,000-15,000 for a projector you are would probably be better off the the RS4910.
rwestley is offline  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bearcat2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fremont, NE
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
The RS4910 represents the best buy in the JVC line. The difference is not that great with the more expensive units. The Sony 500ES (600) is a 4K projector and at this point there is not much 4K available. It is a great projector but at this point unless you want to spend between $10,000-15,000 for a projector you are would probably be better off the the RS4910.
Ok, I'm looking into the jvc 4910, and so far it seems pretty awesome. Only thing I see is there has been a firmware problem, do you know if this is resolved? Thanks man?
bearcat2002 is online now  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2002 View Post
Ok, I'm looking into the jvc 4910, and so far it seems pretty awesome. Only thing I see is there has been a firmware problem, do you know if this is resolved? Thanks man?
The firmware problems have been resolved If you buy from Mike at Avs they will update firmware to latest version before it is delivered

Last edited by rwestley; 07-21-2014 at 01:05 PM.
rwestley is offline  
Old 07-21-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat2002 View Post
Are the upper jvcs much better? Would an sony 500es be better than the jvcs?
Sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
 
Gear in this thread - 500es by PriceGrabber.com
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off