• 1 Post By Ron Jones

post #1 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Passive 3D Projector Options

Since owning a couple passive sets and comparing them to my current Epson 5030, I have to say that it's so much easier on the eyes than active shutter or DLP Link. In saying that, what options are out there for Projector owners who want passive 3D? Is double stacking the only way to do it right now? Is there an actual projector that doesn't require a kit or double stacking for passive?

I did a little research and found a Omega 3D System. I wasn't really sure exactly how that worked but I was curious if it's compatible with Active Shutter RF for my Epson 5030. If so, does that mean I need to buy another 5030 for it to work? I apologize for all the questions but the more I've watched 3D at the theater and on my passive LG's, I really do prefer passive, mainly due to almost no eye strain at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The omega 3d filters are color spectrum filters. The advantage of these filters allow you to use any screen material even a wall. You will need 2 projectors one for left eye and one for the right.

From reports there is a color shift between eyes but this can be adjusted. The main pluses of the omega system is ghosting. There is virtually no ghosting/crosstalk. This is where the you can see a little of the other eye in each view.

Other systems are Polarization systems. There is Linear and Circular Polarization. Both of these need a screen that can handle polarization(silver screen). Most likely you have used this in Theaters.

Both systems need 2 projectors because you have to split the right/left eye.

Because there is no flicker that is why the 3d feels more natural. There are tons of threads that go in to more detail. The creator of the omega system participates in this board.

here is the thread

Official Omega 3D passive projection system thread
post #3 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info!! Few questions. Is there a projector on the market right now which is passive and doesn't require a dual projector setup? Also, do you have any experience with any of the setups you mentioned? Just curious if its worth all the trouble. Lastly, my two LG passive tv's can use the same cheap glasses you get from the movie theater. I'm assuming you can't use those with the setups you mentioned?

Thanks again!

post #4 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 192
You need to see the following existing thread (link below) that extensively covers the topic of passive 3D projector. Other than an LG projector from several years ago, that was essentially 2 projectors in one cabinet, the only realistic approach for the consumer is to use two projectors. RealD in commercial theaters uses circular polarization, but with specially processed video to reduce 3D crosstalk (ghosting). This approach is difficult to make work for the home theater but linear polarization is certainly possible (as used in digital IMAX theater). As already pointed out special screens are required that can retain the polarization of the light with these setups.

The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread

Also I wrote a series of 10 blogs two years ago on the subject of passive 3D projection. The first of that series is a the following link:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/tech...ection-part-1/
JewDaddy likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 07-25-2014 at 05:19 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2014, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
You need to see the following existing thread (link below) that extensively covers the topic of passive 3D projector. Other than an LG projector from several years ago, that was essentially 2 projectors in one cabinet, the only realistic approach for the consumer is to use two projectors. RealD in commercial theaters uses circular polarization, but with specially processed video to reduce 3D crosstalk (ghosting). This approach is difficult to make work for the home theater but linear polarization is certainly possible (as used in digital IMAX theater). As already pointed out special screens are required that can retain the polarization of the light with these setups.

The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread

Also I wrote a series of 10 blogs two years ago on the subject of passive 3D projection. The first of that series is a the following link:
http://www.projectorreviews.com/tech...ection-part-1/
Thanks Ron! I'll check it out

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page