Which Device Should Process Video-Oppo>Integra>DILA??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which Device Should Process Video-Oppo>Integra>DILA???

I have a Oppo BDP-103 > Integra DTC-9.8 > JVC DLA-X70.

I can pass video direct 'through' / 'source direct' to the projector or can process at the Oppo or Integra.

Which component has the best video processor?

I have tried each and it seems like it is best sending source direct from the Oppo to the Integra and then going out to the projector as 1080p. I am watching Bluray or Vudu.

Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 544
If you are watching a 1080p source, what exactly are you processing? You are feeding 1080p direct from the Oppo through the Integra. For Vudu, what is the source resolution? I don't know. If its interlaced, then the answer is which of the 2 units (you are not feeding the Vudu into the Oppo or are you? has a deinterlacer which favors artifacts you can stand. They all make trade offs and it becomes a question of taste and sensitivity. Most here would choose the deinterlacer in the JVC over the Integra.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input.

The Oppo is a Vudu enabled device and is the source for streaming. Exactly how that works regarding the de-compression codec from source over the net and the format being sent to the Integra, I have no idea? But, I have tried using 'direct' with both the Oppo and Integra which means any necessary processing is being performed at the DILA and it looks pretty good. Streaming has come a long way.

Occasionally, I do watch DVDs and using 'direct' to the DILA doesn't always work. Sometimes the aspect ratio of the projected image is wrong. In this case, I set the Integra to 1080p out and it works good.

I usually believe the newest device is better than the older at performing the processing. The Oppo is new, the DILA is next and the Integra is circa '08. I can test various combinations of processing and compare, but was wondering if there is a suggested device/component and/or order in which the video signal should be processed as it passes from source to image.

If the DILA is suggested for processing, that is how I normally set with both the DILA and Integra in 'direct' or 'through'.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Why don't you give me a call tomorrow nighte and we can discuss. I want to take you through this aspect ratio thing. I just don't have the patience to write a long post. i'll just ask you a few questions and we will get to the bottom of your aspect problem.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #5 of 6 Old 08-04-2014, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, if you don't mind chatting, I will call. Open to any help I can get.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Any help. In al modestly, you will get some of the best help available.

Before you call. please set your aspect ratio to to 1.78 in all three devices. the aspect ratio settings are for your screen size which I assume is a 1.78 screen.

You will see side unlit screen for any 1.33 source and top and bottom black bars for any source aspect (wide screen) higher than 1.78. Most if not all of your source frames will be 1.78 even though for wide screen stuff your active video will be at a higher aspect ratio. Not correctable without geometrically distorting the image. You can zoom to fill your screen in such cases but you will zoom part of the image off the screen.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page