AVS Forum banner

Extremely Large Projector Help

679 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  donaldk 
#1 ·
Good Afternoon,

I am completely lost, so I turn to the experts here for advice. I am a youth pastor. We have a large space (21 ft. x 45 ft.) that we are remodeling as a youth lounge. Our goal here is a place for teenagers to hang out. The theme will be that of a VIP room at a club. Dim lights, Music, couches, and a bar to get snacks and such.

We have a very large wall on one end of the room (About 24 ft. high and 20 ft wide. with two doors in the center. Rather than fill the top of this wall with art, I have the idea of installing a projection screen there, and using it to run random graphics, music videos, etc to add to the theme of the room. The thought is that we can also have movie nights in this space, or just get together to watch the superbowl and such.

So -- What projector should I get? What will it cost me, etc???

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I think you'll need to let us how much you're willing to spend on the screen and projector. There are far too many options out there at many different price points to narrow it down to to a few recommendations without knowing the max budget first. Let us know that and we'll give you some suggestions.

#3 ·
We work with a video/sound company locally, and one of their guys builds screens, so no budget there. My biggest concern with him is he always likes the most expensive hardware, so thought I'd get some ideas on my own for the actual projector.

I am expecting to spend around $4,000 - $5,000 on the projector and hardware, but would love to spend $2,500 if that's a viable/quality option.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
While likely not bright enough for a mid-high ambient light application the little BenQ SH940 might work
It has a long throw lens so the projector could be placed further back in the space.
With a screen with higher gain-more reflective it should provide an acceptable picture.

One important item to keep in mind. The higher the screen the farther away you will need to sit.
This is due to the fact that screens have what amounts to a cone of reflected light.
If your to far too one side or too low/high the brightness drops off fast.
Typically screens that are more reflective have narrower cones of light.

http://www.benq.us/product/projector/SH940

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.