New JVC 2015 - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2014, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 44
When I emailed JVC about wanting more lumens for my HT setup (I currently have a X700R), they answered me (in japanese, so the source must be credible) that their next generation of projectors should be brighter than the previous one. Wow, exclusive news just for me...

Stef
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpepper007 View Post
Thanks Mark for that info. I did not know it was that hard for DLP chips to perform 3d. Well using 2 pj does sound like the best way. Thanks again.
You have it reversed. DLP chip projectors do 3D very well, liquid crystal projectors not so well.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 08-16-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I have mentioned this before. A guy that works for a JVC supplier was told that laser/led is coming. Not sure if it is this year or next. We will see in a month.

If there is just an incremental update after the DI bombshell last year, then I hope all of the models get e-shift and DI. I might be tempted to dump my CRTs if the price is right.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Old 08-16-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 564
I've got to believe for 2015 or for 2016 will be a new Platform/engine design change for JVC - I think the last major one was with the RS40, correct?

Old 08-16-2014, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I have mentioned this before. A guy that works for a JVC supplier was told that laser/led is coming. Not sure if it is this year or next. We will see in a month.

If there is just an incremental update after the DI bombshell last year, then I hope all of the models get e-shift and DI. I might be tempted to dump my CRTs if the price is right.
Not sure about led, but JVC has been working on laser for the past couple of years.

Note in the second video that the laser engine was designed to fit into the vs2100 and vs2200 which is the same chassis as the current consumer model and last years model. The target date for the laser engine is for early 2015. Hopefully they are able to speed up that timeline a bit. But chances are pretty good for a laser engine this year and probably most definitely by next year.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
You have it reversed. DLP chip projectors do 3D very well, liquid crystal projectors not so well.
Woops sorry
Old 08-17-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 53
cischico,
Thanks for the info. Hopefully it is this year, but even if it is next at least we have an idea of what to expect.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Old 08-17-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

I've heard the same thing. The interesting question is simply this: If JVC can introduce a laser projector this year or next then why can't Epson? Whatever regulations apply to laser light source projectors sold in North America apply equally to all projector manufacturers. Panasonic currently sells business projectors (3000 lumens max for text) using laser/LED hybrid technology.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 08-17-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Can someone refresh my memory please: what will be the benefits to moving to laser/led? As I remember it's potential for higher brightness, and lower heat? But what does it mean for contrast? I seem to remember the Red projector (did it ever come out?) didn't have a particularly high contrast ratio. And there are possible issues with "speckling" right? I just don't know how excited I should be about the move to that technology.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Can someone refresh my memory please: what will be the benefits to moving to laser/led? As I remember it's potential for higher brightness, and lower heat? But what does it mean for contrast? I seem to remember the Red projector (did it ever come out?) didn't have a particularly high contrast ratio. And there are possible issues with "speckling" right? I just don't know how excited I should be about the move to that technology.
In respect to the videos posed above JVC claims they solved the speckled light issue in their implementation. There should be less scattered light and no UV in the light path.

I don't know if it will increase contrast or not, but if they can reduce light scatter, contrast should increase. They did implement an IRIS at the beginning of the light path to reduce this.

I really just hope that utilizing the same chassis and light engine these last few years has given JVC a decent return of profit so that they could hopefully come out with a 4K Laser Projector with an improved IRIS over this years already outstanding implementation. If they can match the contrast and really improve the ANSI contrast. I'm all in.

So far we know they been working on laser, however their target date was early 2015, whether it will make it this year or not is anyone's guess.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Thanks,

So the promise is mostly greater brightness at the moment? And I assume lower heat, no more bulbs to replace?

And whatever happened with the Red projector. Anyone?
Old 08-17-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Red projector is basically on a burner on their stove which has been turned off.

What is possible I suppose from JVC this year is:

1. True UHD panels in a projector;

2. 3 LED light source to replace a bulb;

3. A low power blue laser to provide the blue primary and fire up a spinning yellow phosphor wheel from which red and green primaries will be extracted by traditional methods.

A combination of 1 and 2 or 3 is possible or just 2 or 3 lighting up present 1080p panels.

It should be noted that several OEMers or suppliers for projector manufacturers sell 2 and 3 modules. JVC would have to choose one of these and install them rather than reinvent the wheel.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 08-17-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1048 Post(s)
Liked: 425
I'm assuming a laser light source would necessitate a new light engine. Even if they stick with 1080p chips I wouldn't be that upset because I'd hope the lasers inherent quality of less light scatter and a redesigned light path and (possibly) new optics will increase ANSI contrast to at least the level of the Sony 600ES. Here's for hoping...
Old 08-17-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Thanks,

So the promise is mostly greater brightness at the moment? And I assume lower heat, no more bulbs to replace?

And whatever happened with the Red projector. Anyone?
They put it on the back burner, where it appears that it only became half cooked.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, what I expect JVC this year
1. laser or hybrid light source and at least 1500lumens before calibrate.
2. more aggrassive native contrast ratio for entry product, like 80000:1 or 100000:1
3. high speed dynamic iris, or better progamming for dynamic iris. I still felt pumping when I calibrated X700 for my friend. My friend and I choose to keep manual -6 and output set in high for his 150" Elite matt white screen in 100 hour use of his X700.
4. DCI color space
Let's wait and see, CEDIA is less than a month.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I'm assuming a laser light source would necessitate a new light engine. Even if they stick with 1080p chips I wouldn't be that upset because I'd hope the lasers inherent quality of less light scatter and a redesigned light path and (possibly) new optics will increase ANSI contrast to at least the level of the Sony 600ES. Here's for hoping...

A three beam laser lit is not happening. What will and is happening is the blue supplied by a blue low powered laser and that laser also also lets call it igniting a spinning yellow phosphor wheel from which red and green are extracted similarly to the way red, green, and blue are extracted from a lamp. Why is the blue direct? Because it is cheaper to do it direct rather than having blue extractors and more red and green can be extracted from the light given off from a yellow phosphor. Except for the blue direct which is a trivial amount compared to red and green with of course green far more dominant, there is no coherent light. the polarizers make the light more coherent.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I believe it's not a matter of "if" but "when" lamps are replaced by lasers or laser/led hybrids. The industry is about to go through another significant transition phase. We saw this in the early 2000's when CRT was replaced with digital. It took a few years but the decline of CRT accelerated quickly to where we are today -- they're tough to give away. In my opinion the same thing will happen to lamp based projectors but much quicker than with CRT as more and more laser or laser/led hybrids are introduced to the home theatre market. Once they become the de facto standard I suspect all of my lamp based projectors will become virtually worthless on the used market -- they'll still have a value to me since this doesn't change the fact that they will still produce a great image; however, its all about perception and the perception will be that laser is better (and it will be for a number of reasons; however, pq may not be one of them). If you combine laser with 4K and similar pricing to today's projectors then I suspect today's projectors for all intents and purposes will be pretty much worthless.

Having now lived with a 1080p DLP 3D laser/led hybrid for the past six months I have concluded that I won't be buying another lamp based projector unless it's a top end projector discounted to the extreme.

I doubt JVC will have a home theatre laser projector for this year; however, I suspect there will be several from three or four manufacturers, including JVC, next year. When it happens it'll happen very, very quickly.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All this laser talk. JVC did not invent the laser lit spinning yellow phosphor wheel. Its more or less an off the shelf light source than any manufacturer can license/procure.

It uses a low powered lase to generate the blue primary and to make a spinning yellow phosphor wheel give off a bright yellow light. Except for the blue direct light which is tiny compared to the green and red light a projector gives out, the laser lit phosphor is just like any traditional light source in that diachromatic filters, wire grid polarizers etc etc are used to extract the red and green primaries from the light and to polarize that light so that liquid crystals can modulate it.

speckle is not an issue because except for the blue light, laser light does not hit the screen. The industry is and will be marketing these machines as lasers. That is almost utter bull. The laser is a phosphor ignitor, that is all except for the blue. JVC solved the speckle problem, Sure they didn't. Speckle is an artifact of laser light hitting a screen. get rid of the laser beam and the artifact disappears. solve it, no they abandoned true lasers, perhaps for very good reasons the least of which are costs and regulatory issues. A spinning phosphor wheel can put out a lot of light and if designed and operated correctly using certain design tricks can last far longer than any bulb. Obviously the power of the small blue laser can be varied. For more light, use a more powerful blue laser. Oh oh. This is where regulatory issues can rear their ugly head. One manufacture may stay within the class 2 laser power limits while another trying to put out 5000 lumens may exceed class 2.

Bulbs for many projectors will eventually be replaced by blue laser spinning phosphor engines. almost all the manufacturers will be adopting this. NEC, Sony, JVC, Epson. the start wil be this year in HT land. Cheap projectors will continue to use bulbs.
Deja Vu likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 08-18-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabarts231 View Post
Well, what I expect JVC this year
1. laser or hybrid light source and at least 1500lumens before calibrate.
2. more aggrassive native contrast ratio for entry product, like 80000:1 or 100000:1
3. high speed dynamic iris, or better progamming for dynamic iris. I still felt pumping when I calibrated X700 for my friend. My friend and I choose to keep manual -6 and output set in high for his 150" Elite matt white screen in 100 hour use of his X700.
4. DCI color space
Let's wait and see, CEDIA is less than a month.
Is this your wish list for 2014 or 2016? No way all of that will happen this year. None of it may happen this year.
Ericglo likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Is this your wish list for 2014 or 2016? No way all of that will happen this year. None of it may happen this year.
haha honestly, this is my wish, but I do think contrast ratio of entry product of JVC will be up to 80000:1 this year. The dynamic iris, some minor adjustment, I guess.
These are the most possible 2 item that might happen this year.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabarts231 View Post
haha honestly, this is my wish, but I do think contrast ratio of entry product of JVC will be up to 80000:1 this year. The dynamic iris, some minor adjustment, I guess.
These are the most possible 2 item that might happen this year.
If they add a dynamic iris to the entry level model, then yes, this could happen this year.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 08-18-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
just to recall a article from early this year

http://www.proavbiz-europe.com/index...&Itemid=401997
Old 08-18-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My call is no 4K this year, but a laser hybrid for the top end. Higher contrast for most everything, improved e shift. Every year they claim improvements to a wide variety of things. that's they way they market. the big news will be a hybrid engine.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com

Last edited by mark haflich; 08-19-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post
just to recall a article from early this year

http://www.proavbiz-europe.com/index...&Itemid=401997
Interesting, but what's up with the laser only having a 20,000:1 contrast ratio compared to the lamp based models which are much higher?

Old 08-18-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Interesting, but what's up with the laser only having a 20,000:1 contrast ratio compared to the lamp based models which are much higher?
I would imagine it's due to a lack in light engine optimization due to the new light source. The new light source will most likely need some light engine modifications to reach the same levels as the lamp based engine they've been tweaking for close to a decade now. It's high brightness makes it an enemy of high on/off contrast. We'll have to see if they've made the required modifications/tweaks to get native contrast to the same level as the older UHP lamp based units.

What I find even more interesting is this quote:

Quote:
“The cost of an e-shift 4K solution vs a native 4K solution is about half,” notes Display Centrals’ Chris Chinnock who interviewed JVC at I/ITSEC 2013.
Looks like that might mean no sub-$3000 4K JVC unit that so many want for quite some time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2 Amplifier
My Crazy Projector Journey!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 81
There will be no laser or LED hybrid of any type from JVC for awhile. I hope they will but it won't happen. At least not in their usual price range
Old 08-18-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
A good assumption since the blue primary would not have to be extracted but would be more or less direct to, into, and reflected back from the chip.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 08-18-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
There will be no laser or LED hybrid of any type from JVC for awhile. I hope they will but it won't happen. At least not in their usual price range
I think there's nothing off the table at the present time. We'll just have to wait and see. CEDIA is only a few weeks away.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2 Amplifier
My Crazy Projector Journey!
Old 08-18-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I promised myself I would not look for this thread this year and dam it I found it anyway. :-)
RickAVManiac likes this.

James Reid:D
Old 08-19-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Its a good thread to ignore. JVC does. (Man, I like this post if I do say so myself. LOL)
cardoski likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com

Gear in this thread - 600ES. by PriceGrabber.com