post #1 of 5 Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Projector to what LCD downgrade?

Howdy,

Been running a setup in my current home for years with a Sharp z20k DLP onto a 96" VuTech SilverStar screen. I run the projector in high contrast mode in a dedicated black-out room, two-tier seating and full acoustic treatment in 7.2 setup and absolutely love it.

Unfortunately, the new house does not have the space to do a projector (much less all the other wall treatments and such) along with some other issues stopping a projector. So I'm facing a serious step down in movie watching (which is what I do primarily with the system now). Which seems to be making me look at large format LCD displays.

Things I know are important to me are size (it needs to be an experience, not just a TV on the wall) and picture quality (from color accuracy to depth of blacks).

I considered OLED which looks amazing, but currently tops out at 55" (I will want to revist this in a few years, I know that already). I also considered Plasma, but there are very few being made and the Samsung "best of breed" unit tops out at 65". That leaves me with LCD panels to get up where I need.

I can easily find 75" and even 85" units from Samsung, LG and Sony. Their top-of-line UHD devices flat panels seem about the best I can find (not looking at those curved units).

Has anyone else gone down this sad path? I'm really looking for best units to get as close as I can to my beloved DLP (I know I won't get that close) as well as others experience with having "to settle" in life after projection.

Gerry

P.S. I know this isn't a projector question per-se, but as I'm coming from projection and trying to replicate as much as I can, this community seemed like the most in-tune one to ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-21-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Sony has 78.5" 4K/UHD TV, model X900B for around $7.5K. For a lot less money Vizio should begin shipping their new 'P' series UHD TV with zone backlight dimming next month. This series goes up to a 70" model and that size that should sell for around $3K. Also it looks like LG will be showing some new 'stuff' at CEDIA Expo (3 weeks from now).

http://ces.vizio.com/p-series.html

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 08-21-2014 at 05:58 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-21-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by gduprey View Post
Howdy,

Things I know are important to me are size (it needs to be an experience, not just a TV on the wall) and picture quality (from color accuracy to depth of blacks).
in all honesty, you have to decide between the two right now, you CAN'T get both in a flat panel.

another thing you are likely to be disappointed in is motion. the plasma and lcd's won't give you the same look as a dlp projector.

if it were me, I would(based on my budget)
-grab a 64" Samsung f8500, because that's the largest 'good' display you can buy today.
-wait a couple months and get the 77" LG oled, because that's the best option overall
-run a projector anyway

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 5 Old 08-22-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Perhaps the real question is, what are the issues that are driving you away from using a projector? Maybe there are workarounds?

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #5 of 5 Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Perhaps the real question is, what are the issues that are driving you away from using a projector? Maybe there are workarounds?
This. If you have room for an 85" panel your issues may be conquerable.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page