AVS Forum banner

Proof that the male of the species doesn't develop a brain 'til 30 years of age:

1K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  edfowler 
#1 ·
I had my suspicions but today pretty much proved to me that the male doesn't develop a brain 'til he has lived at least 30 years.

I had a heavy blanket over my $10,000.00 projector in the outside theater to keep sawdust off of it while I did some remodeling. My 21 year old son went out and set up the Wi-U so he and some friends could play...

He came in after a half hour of so and said "Dad, I think the projector is dead..... like it over-heated or something"

He just pulled the blanket up enough to let the light beam show through, leaving the entire projector covered with a heavy blanket. He played it until it shut off.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Reactions: Elix and ferbal
#3 ·
21yr old son playing the wii...

at least tell me his 'friends' included some girls :p

hope the projector shut down before any real damage was done

#4 ·
The projector just shutdown due to overheating but it did start up again. I hope no damage was done.

I shouldn't have posted in my frustration. It was just not a very good day A/V-wise yesterday, when I stepped out of the main theater and came back my son's dog passed by me with a guilty look on his face. He had just run into my theater and peed on my Aerial Acoustics speaker and the urine was soaking down into the hardwood floor I installed this spring.

Thankfully I had a custom made black velvet speaker cover over the speaker so it wasn't damaged, just the cover.

Double-Grrr......

#7 ·
I would never do that. I blew up at him one time in my life and I promised myself that I would never raise my voice to him or put him down again.

He didn't mean any harm. I think a lot of people don't develop much common sense until they have had some life experience. (I work at a university and I can attest that many NEVER develop ANY common sense whatsoever).

Probably the only reason I have any sense at all is because I can remember one of my few conversations with my father where he said that I was so smart but didn't have a lick of common sense. As a result I've spent most of my life learning and doing more common things like construction and mechanics when I had a gift for the more academic/intellectual side of things.

I attended college on academic scholarships and such. I was invited to West Point but my father was a navy pilot and my mom travelled around the country with him. I think she didn't think that life was too great and therefor discouraged me from going to West Point and into the military. My dad died while I was in school so he didn't have any input on my college choices.

I like being able to do/fix most anything but I kind of wish I would have followed a different path that would have had me retired now with plenty of money to pay people to do the work for me that I now do for myself.

I have no hard feeling toward my son. Everything has worked out fine really.

#8 · (Edited)
" I had my suspicions but today pretty much proved to me that the male doesn't develop a brain 'til he has lived at least 30 years."

^^^^^^ Ha Ha Ha / Agree with your statement Above Ed ,

I admit it, My Brain really didn't start functioning till around then & peaked @ 34-38 but now 15 years on its seemingly going backwards Fast :-O

#9 ·
I'm also a teacher, and the only thing I'd add at this point, is the female brain's not a whole heck of a lot better at that age either.

but if it wasn't for all the stupid things we do, life would get pretty boring, pretty fast

#11 ·
I parked 2 Projectors I was currently not using in my oh so safe garage, blissfully unaware of the possibility of a pipe bursting & them taking water for 8+ hours.

Would have taken me 20-30 easy minutes to come up w a preventative measure to stop this. Pat yourself on the back for getting pro-active on your speakers.

#12 ·
There are probably maybe 2% of all females in the world who wouldn't have done the same thing so if you are going to say males don't get a brain until 30 then women would also be the same. However based on my experience, IMO women don't develop a brain until much later, if ever. :p Kidding aside, I bet the majority of adults of all ages wouldn't have fully taken the sheet off so it isn't like what your son did was a rare sign of someone being clueless.

Good to hear there was no damage.

#13 ·
When I am offering my daughter advice(lecture) on critical thinking(stupid decisions) it now occurs to me somewhere in the middle that what I am doing is self-serving. She will grow up just like I did, with all the good advice going in one ear and out the other, only learning from her own mistakes. When she reaches my age she will look back and remember all of my sage advice and think I was the smartest man she ever knew. I think I will continue down this path because I want her to think highly of me when I'm gone. After all, it worked for my Dad. :D

I remember his shoulders slumping for a moment when I permanently disassembled(destroyed) something or other to figure out how it worked. A not infrequent event. As an engineer he understood my curiosity and didn't crush my spirit by losing his temper. As a parent now myself I realize how difficult and important it is to do this for my kids. You're doing it right.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
As a result I've spent most of my life learning and doing more common things like construction and mechanics when I had a gift for the more academic/intellectual side of things.
thank you
...and it looks like my oldest son is walking in my footsteps. He taught himself to read when he was two and we took him to the Purdue gifted student program to have him tested when he was 3 or 4. He scanned a flash card deck of the scientific names and attributes of dinosaurs on the car ride up. When we got there he recited all of them perfectly and enthusiastically. The other parents were looking at us like "look who coached their son!!". He tested off the charts IQ wise. A bonafide genius. He would get these little quirks going as he got older. One time he assigned numerical values to each letter of the alphabet and then spoke in sentences that added up to whatever sum of the letter values he fancied.

He dropped out of a well respected private college because it was a lot of b.s. to him.

Now he makes pizza for a living.

#19 ·
got kids?

#20 ·
Two boys, I raised alone, from 3-5 yrs old. They never touched my gear, they always knew from the get go, this was mine, and the rule was 'Hands off" no matter what. Boys will be boys, and get into things they ought not.
In fact, now both adults - both still to this day, will not touch my gear! They can take my truck, have all the food they need and same with cash-(if I have it) But they know the drill, We had the following:
"The magic belt of power" "The hairbrush of doom" and the "Good boy wooden spoon" My aunt would grab one of these items when I was a kid if you crossed the line, and you know what? I never had to use them not once!
"that's my dad's stuff, we don't touch it"

#21 ·
wow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.