51Likes

post #61 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post
OP, here's a picture of my screen with me standing next to it. the screen size is 75" high by 133" wide. For perspective I'm 6'4" and weigh 280lbs. (pre-calibration...and yes, a new bulb) I can't remember what projector this was...it's either my 8500ub, 8350 or my W7000??? (I'll soon take pictures of my X-55)

........ but beware...it's highly unwatchable and you should never go this big...the picture quality looks awful at this size! (and yes, the reflections from the floor are distracting....but you can't see them when sitting on the couch, the coffee table blocks them out)

Why is it highly unwatchable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It was sarcasm to the naysayers.

Get the size you like. Use your wall as a guide to figure the acceptable limits that you can live with. Just be aware that you will have to change your bulb sooner than if you went smaller and that to get the best looking image...a totally darkened room will help. Some have gone bigger than myself and still have good things to say about the image....I'm in my happy spot with the size I have now (16x9....I would love a cine-wide with a 75" height. Maybe in a few years. Might buy two of the same projectors and use a digital align'r and go for it!)

The eye is a pretty neat thing...as the bulb ages and starts to dim, you don't really notice till it reaches a certain threshold (different for each person). When you stick in a new bulb it will amaze you how much brighter it looks. It's like getting a new projector each time you change your bulb!
ellisr63 and wmassie like this.
post #63 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 226
There are no naysayers. Just people offering safe advice.
ellisr63 likes this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #64 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I personally would need sunglasses at that size and ftL from 10.5 ft back in my black pit. If I had lighter color walls or carpet, I could see it though. What do you mean you can "s-can" the lamp at 12 ftL or less?

I trash the lamp is a nicer way of saying it. I don't find a new VW600 too bright at all on my 122" diagonal Cima Neve screen - and I just ordered 2 new lamps for my Lumis to make sure it's always just as bright !
ellisr63 likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #65 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
so you have a 180 inch screen? 16:9 or what? I am interested in what you have.
I have a SeymourAv 180" Scope screen (2.40:1).
wmassie likes this.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #66 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 323
These 'big' screens are so cute compared to W.Mayer's 7 meter setup... imagine the look on people's faces when they see this in person for the first time.

I went from 92" -> 110" -> 142" and wish I had more room for a larger screen. I think the screen size has plenty to do with the feeling of immersion when getting into a movie. Darkening the surroundings to eliminate reflections / distractions also makes a big impact.

@ ellisr63 - that screen size is great, do you have any photos of your setup?
ellisr63 and wmassie like this.

post #67 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I much prefer 16 - 18 foot lamberts. At 12 foot lamberts or less I s-can the lamp. Metalguy, I still didn't see where you stated a seating distance ( maybe I missed it ). That has a bearing on screen size. Don't install a 150" diagonal screen, sit 9' away, and watch 2 seasons of 24 on Blu Ray back to back to begin with. My wife would have thrown up from motion sickness ! Took her awhile to get used to a 120" diagonal screen from 13' 6" viewing distance with shows like that !
why are you sitting so far back for a 120' screen? I saw you mentioned this before how far back you sat and what your size was for your screen , so i zoomed down just to compare. I can be 9 or even 8 feet for 120 without it even being an issue. So just wondering why so close? And in other thread you have a 15k vw600, is that not overkill on a 120' screen? i mean is it you just dont have the room to go bigger or dont like it bigger. I am not slamming just asertaining why one would do this. As for me I want as big as I can go, and still look good. I want it to be like I am going to the theater. Look forward to your reply.
post #68 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

how important is 3D? as you may have seen, the brightness goes down quite a bit once the projector is in 3D mode. I like 3D and a generally bright 2D image (I watch at 2-3 times the average person) so at the time my 2.8 gain high power screen made sense. The screen is 142" 16:9 and works well with ambient light and is plenty bright in 3D, some squinting moments even behind the glasses is just how I like it.

If I didn't care about 3D, i'd likely go with a lower gain screen.

What projector are you looking at purchasing?
Crabalocker likes this.

post #69 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
These 'big' screens are so cute compared to W.Mayer's 7 meter setup... imagine the look on people's faces when they see this in person for the first time.

I went from 92" -> 110" -> 142" and wish I had more room for a larger screen. I think the screen size has plenty to do with the feeling of immersion when getting into a movie. Darkening the surroundings to eliminate reflections / distractions also makes a big impact.

If I had the coin......that would be my happy place!! That room looks killer!
post #70 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HT room is not completed yet, but here is a pic. (in scope mode... about 160")...

Here is one with the lights off...

I am waiting until all the room treatments are done before I do the side matting, as we need easy access to the rear untill the area behind the screen has been treated. Please excuse the pics as they are from my cell phone.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #71 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
It was sarcasm to the naysayers.
Can you disk down the sarcasm please? It's misplaced and frankly obnoxious.

No one is saying DONT DO IT!

The OP asked why more people haven't gone for such bigger screens and there were a lot of nuanced, informative replies comprising various answers explaining why OTHER PEOPLE HAVE NOT GONE WITH BIGGER SCREENS. No one is saying everyone has to be the same for goodness sake.

Since I have a similar projector to yours (mine being the JVC RS57/700)
and I've played with the image zoomed both large and small, I have a pretty good idea of what that image you posted would look like in person.
I would not prefer to watch it (that particular source image) at that size, feeling that type of HD sorce tends to looks better smaller. I'm always trying to find the best balance of image size and picture quality depending on the source I'm watching - some movies look superb to me no matter how big I make the image, other movies, and TV especially, not so much.

But that's simply reporting MY opinion and criteria, it's not telling anyone else they have to feel the same way.
It's obvious many people have different
criteria. It's great that you are happy with your set up and your letting people know is valuable to others. But there's no need to be namecall people who don't happen to like exactly what you like as "naysayers" or disparage efforts to help anyone else understand the various technical issues in going with one goal over another. This thread is full of helpful input and its just needlessly insulting to dismiss other points of view.
ellisr63 and d.j. like this.
post #72 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I have a SeymourAv 180" Scope screen (2.40:1).
If using the zoom method, you are talking about a much larger screen than Crabalocker uses. Using zoom method, your screen is equivalent to 190" diagonal 16:9 (107.2 SF). Crabalocker's screen is 153" diagonal 16:9 (69.3 SF). Your screen is 155% larger because of using zoom method. With a 1,000 lumens, you are looking at 9.3 FL.
ellisr63 likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #73 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

W.Mayer's set-up looks amazing - is that in his basement and what kind of projector?

How far do you sit back from your 142"?

post #74 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
W.Mayer's set-up looks amazing - is that in his basement and what kind of projector?

I don't remember what he is using. I remember him trying stacked VW1000's

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #75 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I'm fairly certain he uses at least one 4K Barco machine.
post #76 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quote:
why are you sitting so far back for a 120' screen? I saw you mentioned this before how far back you sat and what your size was for your screen , so i zoomed down just to compare. I can be 9 or even 8 feet for 120 without it even being an issue. So just wondering why so close? And in other thread you have a 15k vw600, is that not overkill on a 120' screen? i mean is it you just dont have the room to go bigger or dont like it bigger. I am not slamming just asertaining why one would do this. As for me I want as big as I can go, and still look good. I want it to be like I am going to the theater. Look forward to your reply.

We sit currently about 12' 6" from that 122" diagonal 16:9 screen and a 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen. It's about the same field of view as sitting in the middle of a commercial theater. Closer and I start to see pixels ( with 1080p ) and artifacts. And I like a bright picture. I did my first measurement today of the VW600. In low lamp with settings somewhat optimized for picture quality ( as opposed to brightness ) I'm only getting around 13 1/2 foot lamberts. So why not bigger? You'll have to change lamps quite often ( which is ok ) or suffer a dim picture. If you really want a screen experience like a movie theater, we have the projector for you - it can light up a 15' wide screen. You'll need to budget around $ 50K for the projector. You want a " real theater experience " - you need a real commercial theater projector !

post #77 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Can you disk down the sarcasm please? It's misplaced and frankly obnoxious.

No one is saying DONT DO IT!

The OP asked why more people haven't gone for such bigger screens and there were a lot of nuanced, informative replies comprising various answers explaining why OTHER PEOPLE HAVE NOT GONE WITH BIGGER SCREENS. No one is saying everyone has to be the same for goodness sake.

Since I have a similar projector to yours (mine being the JVC RS57/700)
and I've played with the image zoomed both large and small, I have a pretty good idea of what that image you posted would look like in person.
I would not prefer to watch it (that particular source image) at that size, feeling that type of HD sorce tends to looks better smaller. I'm always trying to find the best balance of image size and picture quality depending on the source I'm watching - some movies look superb to me no matter how big I make the image, other movies, and TV especially, not so much.

But that's simply reporting MY opinion and criteria, it's not telling anyone else they have to feel the same way.
It's obvious many people have different
criteria. It's great that you are happy with your set up and your letting people know is valuable to others. But there's no need to be namecall people who don't happen to like exactly what you like as "naysayers" or disparage efforts to help anyone else understand the various technical issues in going with one goal over another. This thread is full of helpful input and its just needlessly insulting to dismiss other points of view.
I'm sorry you feel naysayers is name calling...hope I didn't hurt your feeling too much! I'll try not to be so harsh

The OP said he liked the way 140" looked but was worried that it might be problematic because of the information from what I call the 'naysayers'. I call them this because they are always scaring people into compromising. It's been this way since I've been here. Most have never ever tried going large (I said most, not all) They scared me into compromising at first as well. It's taken me many years (43 to be precise) to realize that knowledge does not equal intelligence. I really do wish I learned this information 20-years ago! He's not trusting his own eyes or his own opinion and might be taking the naysayers as holding a more valid opinion???? That's why I support those wanting to go 150"+ That's why others who've gone large as well share their experience and give their support.

We live in a real world and not a world of numbers and measurements. I understand that they have a role to play and are important but only to a point. This is also why I like a house curve rather than a flat response. A house curve sounds better to my ears. might not be technically correct but it is correct to my ears. We listen with our ears and see with our eyes...not graphs or measurements.

I don't know everything, probably not as much as you, but I know what my eye likes and I'm just trying to reassure the OP, whom said he liked the 140" image but was worried because he feels his objective opinion is not as valid as the one's who've been here for a long time...you included. I let my opinion known and leave it at that but it's always the one's that keep saying over and over again, multiple times in a thread, saying things like..."I don't know....the fl aren't quite high enough" "why do you think there are standards" etc. etc. even though they've already said it once. This is what makes me shake my head. My comments are to the scare-mongers who keep poking their fear-prod repetitively. Poke it once. I'm angry at myself for getting sucked into this nonsense!

I really do hope you get and understand the point I'm trying to get across. Giving information is one thing but being discouraging rather than supporting is another....this is the part that frustrates me (and I'm not saying this is what you do...this is how the tone of many threads have gone).
post #78 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't image it's a basement, the room looks huge. at the time of the photos in 2011 it was dual 4K Barcos.

My seats are ~14.5 feet (1.25 sw) from the 142" 16:9. It's 4 Berkline's in a curved config, they cover the width of the screen which is close to 12 feet. My projectors are mounted at or close to eye level so it works wells with the HP screen.
DavidHir likes this.

post #79 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you really want a screen experience like a movie theater, we have the projector for you - it can light up a 15' wide screen.
What projector is that? I'd love to go bigger than I have now.

What's your experience with stacking projectors? how much more light output does stacking do? is it linear or logarithmic?

Thanks.
post #80 of 97 Old 08-29-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
If using the zoom method, you are talking about a much larger screen than Crabalocker uses. Using zoom method, your screen is equivalent to 190" diagonal 16:9 (107.2 SF). Crabalocker's screen is 153" diagonal 16:9 (69.3 SF). Your screen is 155% larger because of using zoom method. With a 1,000 lumens, you are looking at 9.3 FL.
You are absolutely right.... Here I was thinking my Panasonic wasn't able to zoom out, when it actually was that my screen is 180" wide! The diagonal is 195.6 with a 2.35 movie. It still looks great.
wmassie likes this.

post #81 of 97 Old 08-30-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I'm fairly certain he uses at least one 4K Barco machine.

Actually 2 ( he use them for 3D and a VW1000 for 2D IIRC )

dj

Edit: Z10K has answered it better an more precise then me.

Last edited by d.j.; 08-30-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: adding text
post #82 of 97 Old 08-30-2014, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Any last minute Cedia predictions ... LED/Laser coming ?

see fresh post elsewhere

Last edited by gpctv02; 08-30-2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: posted in wrong plac
post #83 of 97 Old 08-30-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
OP, here's a picture of my screen with me standing next to it. the screen size is 75" high by 133" wide. For perspective I'm 6'4" and weigh 280lbs. (pre-calibration...and yes, a new bulb) I can't remember what projector this was...it's either my 8500ub, 8350 or my W7000??? (I'll soon take pictures of my X-55)

........ but beware...it's highly unwatchable and you should never go this big...the picture quality looks awful at this size! (and yes, the reflections from the floor are distracting....but you can't see them when sitting on the couch, the coffee table blocks them out)

No offense but that picture doesn't provide any useful information. I can make a picture of any brightness look that bright in a photograph. In fact most cameras, in their default settings, will make a picture of any brightness look about like that in a photograph. Now I'm not saying your misrepresenting anything, just that others can't really draw any conclusions about absolute brightness of projected images from photographs ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
There are no naysayers. Just people offering safe advice.
Yup like I said before there's two different approaches being argued here, there are those like Crabalocker advising to just shoot your projector at a wall and see how big you can make it and still be happy. This approach works great, and I'm sure all us "naysayers" would advise that approach if you already have a projector. If you've already got a projector the "shoot and check" procedure is great, because you're all absolutely right that what matters is what you see and what you're happy with. And in fact it's exactly what the OP is planning to do:

Quote:
Now the way I am shooting at only allows me to go 140, but I will be switching it so I can shoot longer and put the projector farther back, and then I will see what 150 plus looks like.
So the OP is already planning on doing the "shoot and check" procedure, and no one here has told him not to, nor has anyone said what he's doing won't work.

However the OP actually asked something different. He didn't ask for advice on if his projector could light up 150" screen, he asked:

Quote:
So is that because people cant afford the bigger screens, and don't want to do the DIY route, or Can these projectors just no bring enough brightness?

But the thing is i want to understand what I am getting to without buying the screen if it will be to big for the current projector or anything even new.
I have been specifically addressing the second part, which I would paraphrase as, "How can you know, without buying a projector and trying it yourself, if a given projector is capable of lighting a given screen size?"

This is an entirely different question than the "shoot and check" proponents are answering, and one that can only be answered (without potentially great expense) by looking at the numbers. Ideally a given user would have an idea of how many foot-Lamberts they are happy with. If you already have, or have access to a setup you're happy with the brightness of, I'd advise getting a light meter and figuring out how many ftL you're getting. That way you can back calculate the Lumen requirements and know for sure if a new projector you purchase is capable of satisfactory brightness before you spend a lot of money.

However if you don't have a setup you're happy with, and don't have access to one to see for yourself, well this is where SMPTE/THX/Fox/DCI standards become useful, they are a known benchmark, and if you don't have any personal experience to go off of, they are a very good starting point for designing a theater.
ellisr63 likes this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #84 of 97 Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What projector is that? I'd love to go bigger than I have now.

What's your experience with stacking projectors? how much more light output does stacking do? is it linear or logarithmic?

Thanks.
I have no experience stacking projectors. Seems like too much hassle. If you need a bigger hammer, buy a bigger hammer. Here is our new AVS Laser 3C projector. I saw it originally demo'd on a 20 foot wide screen - it was bright !

New player coming for 2K DCI Cinema

post #85 of 97 Old 08-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

stanger89:

That's why I rarely show a picture when giving advice from my opinion and usually only do so when asked. The picture from my computer monitor is a good representation of what my screen looks like but I can't control what other peoples monitors look like so it may not look correct on their monitor. I do think that most people understand this, how come you don't? I was using it to merely state the point that the picture is bright, good saturation of colours and is very watchable. It may not hold up to your standards but you've never experienced my setup...if you had, it might very well exceed your standards!

Quote:
I have no experience stacking projectors. Seems like too much hassle. If you need a bigger hammer, buy a bigger hammer. Here is our new AVS Laser 3C projector. I saw it originally demo'd on a 20 foot wide screen - it was bright !

New player coming for 2K DCI Cinema
Cool, thanks.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #86 of 97 Old 08-30-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
stanger89:

That's why I rarely show a picture when giving advice from my opinion and usually only do so when asked. The picture from my computer monitor is a good representation of what my screen looks like but I can't control what other peoples monitors look like so it may not look correct on their monitor. I do think that most people understand this, how come you don't?
That's exactly my point, there's no telling when you look at a picture on a monitor how it relates to what you would actually see if you were there in person.

Quote:
I was using it to merely state the point that the picture is bright, good saturation of colours and is very watchable. It may not hold up to your standards but you've never experienced my setup...if you had, it might very well exceed your standards!
I wasn't judging your setup, quite the opposite, I was saying you can't draw any conclusions about your (or any) setup from a picture.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
post #87 of 97 Old 08-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

150", if we're talking diagonal, 16:9, that's 75 square feet. With a unity gain screen, that means you need 75*16 = 1200 Lumens... that puts you into Sony VW1100, possibly VW600, or something like a Sim2 Lumis or maybe a DPI machine. If you want it "solved", that's it, get out the checkbook and write a big check, that's really the only option.

Now I did mention zoom being important, just as an example, say you were willing to accept 12ftL, being that that's "only" 900 Lumens, a JVC X500/X700 could do that, but only if you're able to place it for optimum brightness, ie at min throw. If you needed a longer throw, the JVC wouldn't work as it would be too dim at long throw. So these things, specifically throw can be important to answering the question.

That's why you have to look at reputable reviews, and accounts from folks here on the forum who do independent measurements.

Brightness, Contrast, Cost, pick any two.

If you want a sub-$3k machine that can light a 150" unity gain screen, you need to look at business projectors, but those have low contrast and aren't "Home Theater" quiet either.
Actually 150" diagonal 16X9 is 66 square feet, not 75. Unless my math is wrong, which it could be. And the JVC X500 calibrates at 1200 lumens, not 900, according to multiple reviews. The 2014 crop of JVC's is significantly brighter than the ones before. And I bought it B-stock for just under $3K with a full warranty.

That's 18 foot lamberts on a 150" screen. It is almost too bright for my eyes in cinema mode on low lamp.

Even projectors which only calibrate at 800-1000 lumens will light up a 150" screen at over 12 foot lamberts. 1000 lumens will give you over 15 foot lamberts. There are multiple projectors available now for $3K and under which do that. The Panny AE800U calibrates to 800 lumens and streets around $2,500. The Sony VPL-HW55ES calibrates almost 1000 lumens.
ellisr63 likes this.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #88 of 97 Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post
Actually 150" diagonal 16X9 is 66 square feet, not 75. Unless my math is wrong, which it could be. And the JVC X500 calibrates at 1200 lumens, not 900, according to multiple reviews. The 2014 crop of JVC's is significantly brighter than the ones before. And I bought it B-stock for just under $3K with a full warranty.

That's 18 foot lamberts on a 150" screen. It is almost too bright for my eyes in cinema mode on low lamp.

Even projectors which only calibrate at 800-1000 lumens will light up a 150" screen at over 12 foot lamberts. 1000 lumens will give you over 15 foot lamberts. There are multiple projectors available now for $3K and under which do that. The Panny AE800U calibrates to 800 lumens and streets around $2,500. The Sony VPL-HW55ES calibrates almost 1000 lumens.
I would definitely use a JVC with a bigger screen than I have now. I even watched some movies with the iris completely close on low lamp with my 120in unity gain screen, just to see how it would look. Going from dark to bright makes your eyes adjust to the lower foot Lambert for me. That's just me though. Since the CR and the DI are excellent, lower ftLs can be acceptable for me, like the one member who uses 7ftL. I do think 10ftL will be tho lowest I could use. One day I will get a big enough place for a 15ft wide AT screen. If it's a jvc with it's excellent contrast, I can go that large. All I need is a JVC that can do at least 1200 lumens for 500 hours
post #89 of 97 Old 08-30-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

the OP mentioned 3D as an interest. It looks great on my 142" 2.8HP. For my preferences, it would be way too dim in 3D on a unity gain screen of the same size.
Crabalocker likes this.

post #90 of 97 Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

That is true...even my W7000 was dim in 3D. Watchable but not ideal. I'd have to sit 9 feet from my screen to get enough brightness to my liking (normally sit 14'-15'). Those glasses really chew up the lumens!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page