post #1 of 5 Old 09-06-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Experienced Feedback/Advice sought on best option for my priorites

First off- sorry for the novel length.

Short version- for 3D (primarily) go with a cheaper DLP or will the overall quality of the presentation (including noise levels and a room uncluttered with cables and moving tables) be worth going with a much more expensive LCoS?

Long version- I already have a Pioneer FPJ-1 and continue to be totally satisfied with the image in my current set-up. However there are a couple of things I would like to add or change and to do this I will either need to replace the pj outright or add another smaller unit.

The main priority is 3D.
Further down the line is to get a larger, smoother image for a <1.1 viewing angle. Right now I'm just about at or a little over 1.1 and I can intermittently detect the screendoor under certain conditions.

To scratch the 3D itch, I'd been all set to pick up a BenQ 1070 (or more likely a 1080st) as everyone says the DLPs are superior to any LCoS based pj.
However the deeper I read up on these makes me waffle even more.
I've already owned DLPs in the past and while I can see rainbows, they never bothered me that much. But from one review at least, it sounds like rainbows amp up on 3D modes? Has this been peoples experience in general?
Also, placement with these is going to be a real pain in the neck- especially with the 1070. If I go the short throw route, I'll still have to build a small moveable cabinet to baffle sound, diminish light spill, and allow different distance placement for my CH/VW screen.

The other option would be to just step up and get a JVC 4910 and call it a day.
I'd retire my Pioneer and have a splendid back-up ready to go just in case.
I could use the JVC for all content, in the same setting I do now without more cable and cabinets clogging up the room. It would also be much quieter. These two points would contribute greatly to overall presentation quality it seems to me.
I could also use RF 3D glasses which are supposed to be superior to DLP Link glasses (the only option with the BenQs).
Also, through e-shift, I would have a good excuse to expand the size of my screen- another aspect of improving overall presentation quality.
Any improvements in other image attributes like improved contrast or motion handling that my be noticeable from the Pioneer to the new JVC would just be gravy at this point...but who doesn't love gravy?

I can swing the cost of the JVC now- but I would be really soured if major improvements to LCoS 3D implementation were just a year or two down the road.

each option I can see has it's major pros and major cons.
The BenQs are cheap buy-ins and even easier to get rid of if they end up not working out.
OTOH, it seems penny wise and pound foolish to drop $1K for watching what is probably going to amount to under 40 hrs of content each year. The alternative is to drop 5x as much and just watch everything larger with the 40 hrs of 3D being a weak(er) alternative. But for as limited as that content will be, maybe that is all I need?

I'm probably going to order the BenQ and glasses this week, but thought get a few second opinions (pro or con) first.

Last edited by Paulidan; 09-06-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-06-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If the JVC is within your budget, I would go for it. CEDIA is about to start soon and you can get a used one with low hours for a good amount less. That's what I would do.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-06-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You are saying buy a used JVC?
The one point in the 4910s favor for me is the 3 year warranty on a new unit. I'd be squeemish buying used. Especially on a unit that had so many initial issues out the gate.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Buying used is not for everyone. But the warranty transfers. Just trying to get you a better deal. Sometimes it's best to get something from a member on the forum that takes good care of the projector. Used or new, I would consider the JVC.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-10-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After going back and forth with the pros and cons, I resigned myself to picking up the 4910...at some point. If there were a price drop after CEDIA, I would have almost certainly ordered it then.

But that's blown up now after reading up on the new Epson.
According to Art's review the JVC probably still has better black levels, but it seems like everything else I am looking for is right in the new Epson's wheelhouse.
But even more than what a head to head between the two means, what the Epson augers for a year or two from now (lower price on this new, not yet available state of the art unit + JVC likely stepping up with it's own laser hybrid) has me now absolutely NOT wanting to throw $5K towards something like the 4910 which will not excel in ALL my priorities (like 3D). Even though I would be more inclined to throw $8K towards the Epson now before the JVC, a year from now I'd likely regret that too as some of it early quirks will no doubt be ironed out in 12 months and/or JVC will have an even more impressive, and reasonably priced response.

BUT

the news of this new Epson has finally put that brand on my radar (no interest in LCDs prior) and I'm thinking now I can afford a $2.5K 5030 as a temporary stopgap until an exceptional $5-6K 4K (even faux 4K) laser shows up.
Good 3D + lens shift and decent blacks should make it a good part time alternative unit that won't depreciate as quick as a more expensive unit, and will allow my budget room to stretch in the future.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page