• 1 Post By nathan_h
  • 1 Post By TheSony4KRises

post #1 of 9 Old 09-10-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What projector should I get? Upgrade from JVC-RS1

I have had a JVC-RS1 for a few years and find is good for my purposes for home cinema. But I want to upgrade. Can anyone advise on a good projector upgrade from RS1?

I am thinking of a Panasonic AE8000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-11-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Lots of views and no replies...

I'll stick my neck out and say 'no' to the AE6000. The main reason being that the native contrast is less than your RS1/HD1, so IMHO in some ways it's a step backwards. Then there's my experience with the older AE2000 and AE3000 that I found had poor uniformity (pink and green areas on the screen) and I could never get the whole screen in focus. I could go on, but you get the idea...I actually saw a HD1 when I still owned my AE3000 and it blew mine away (don't be fooled with the marketing contrast numbers as they have barely changed the native contrast since the AE3000 only the headline dynamic contrast).

Since JVC have dropped the X35/RS46 then I don't think there is a new model in your price range (based on what the UK price of the AE8000 is, perhaps it's different in the USA?). That's a shame as I went from the HD350 to my X35 and found it a worthwhile improvement, so it would have been even more so from the RS1 (much more contrast, brighter, manual aperture to control the brightness and maximise contrast, better motion, sharper and the colours not oversaturated like the older JVCs).

Maybe worth looking at the Sony VW40ES or '55 if you can stretch. I've seen the later and was impressed, though I don't think the image is as sharp as the X35 the reality creation feature helps to compensate.

Either that or look at used/ex display models as there will be places off loading their old projectors since it's the time of year for new models coming out soon (see the posts elsewhere for what is coming out, but nothing new from JVC this year and Sony continue with the VW40 and VW55). If you find a good deal on a VW55ES or one of last year's JVCs then either would be a really decent step up from your RS1 IMHO.

Hopefully that will be some help, or at least get others replying to your thread.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3 of 9 Old 09-11-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Wait until after Cedia ! There may or may not be new projectors worthy of your consideration. Speaking of Cedia, I have to go - the show opens in 30 minutes, and Sony is our first stop.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #4 of 9 Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWazowski View Post
I have had a JVC-RS1 for a few years and find is good for my purposes for home cinema. But I want to upgrade. Can anyone advise on a good projector upgrade from RS1?

I am thinking of a Panasonic AE8000.
Regarding the panasonic: in what way is it anything of an upgrade?

Here are some questions to answer on the road to choosing something new:

Whats your budget?

What kind of screen do you have?

How big is the screen?

How far is the projector from the screen?

How far do you sit from the screen?

What are your viewing habits?

Light controlled room?

Black walls and ceiling?

What kind of screen?

Do you watch 3d?

Do you care about noise?

Do you watch only movies?

What are you hoping to achieve by upgrading?
d.j. likes this.

Build Thread:

Last edited by nathan_h; 09-11-2014 at 07:38 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the AE2000......I also have the Sony 4K1000es(not upgraded to 1100 yet).

Based on the quality of the AE2000(which I have appreciated more seeing it side by side with the 1000es for the last 2 years.) I would go for the 8000.

The Panasonic AE2000 delivers a very film like performance.
I saw theAE2000 side by side with the JVC HD1 in 2008 and despite trailing in the contrast ratios.....it more than compensated with it's organic film like delivery......besting the JVC in colour gradation.

having witnessed the brutal sharpness of the Sony 1000es with a variety of material that was never meant to be subjected to that type of scrutiny......I can testify to how the Panasonics excel in this department.......interpreting images and displaying them in a manner that befits whether said image should be sharp or soft.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 09-11-2014 at 01:04 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-11-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I thought I might wake up this thread for the OP with my comments, at least it's creating some replies.

Of course you're welcome to your view, but I still stand by what I said. I found the image was soft, the black levels poor so anything dark just looked washed out, but worst of all seems to be when an owner isn't happy with something such as uniformity or focus. Suddenly even glaring faults are deemed 'within spec' like a friend's AE3000 with distinct pink and green areas on white scenes.

Just to underline this, there is a thread on this very page demonstrating a similar reluctance to stand by the quality of their projectors:

How much lens shift is too much?

While the AE2000 had more accurate colours than the HD1 it was only in the very dim 'Colour 1' mode, when using the brighter 'normal' mode (let's pretend 'Dynamic' mode doesn't exist as it's only there to provide the unrealistic contrast figures and for the hard of seeing). In 'normal' mode (when the internal filter is removed from the light path) the AE2000 is just as oversaturated as the JVC.

I've seen the VW1000ES on a number of occasions at the dealer I bought my speakers from (he often has all day forum meets where we end up watching on a Steinway sound system, with the '1000 projecting on a 5 metre wide screen). It's a fantastic projector that I would love to own myself, so I'm aware that you own at least one very good projector...I'm just not convinced about the other.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #7 of 9 Old 09-12-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post
I thought I might wake up this thread for the OP with my comments, at least it's creating some replies.

Of course you're welcome to your view, but I still stand by what I said. I found the image was soft, the black levels poor so anything dark just looked washed out, but worst of all seems to be when an owner isn't happy with something such as uniformity or focus. Suddenly even glaring faults are deemed 'within spec' like a friend's AE3000 with distinct pink and green areas on white scenes.

Just to underline this, there is a thread on this very page demonstrating a similar reluctance to stand by the quality of their projectors:

How much lens shift is too much?

While the AE2000 had more accurate colours than the HD1 it was only in the very dim 'Colour 1' mode, when using the brighter 'normal' mode (let's pretend 'Dynamic' mode doesn't exist as it's only there to provide the unrealistic contrast figures and for the hard of seeing). In 'normal' mode (when the internal filter is removed from the light path) the AE2000 is just as oversaturated as the JVC.

I've seen the VW1000ES on a number of occasions at the dealer I bought my speakers from (he often has all day forum meets where we end up watching on a Steinway sound system, with the '1000 projecting on a 5 metre wide screen). It's a fantastic projector that I would love to own myself, so I'm aware that you own at least one very good projector...I'm just not convinced about the other.

You make good points and I agree with you.......my Panny also has a few dust blobs...........however.......

When I first got the 1000es I was blown away(and still am) by it's intrinsic sharpness.

But depending on the material you are watching........brutal sharpness is not always the answer......at times it can even be a hindrance.

Classics shot on 35mm such as Close Encounters, Taxi Driver,Raiders,The Godfather and the like all featured heavy optical compositing in their respective productions.
Blasting these images that are derived from 2nd /3rd generation opticals with 4K scanning and projection is not a pretty sight.....the 4K scans(and subsequent projection----hell.... even 2K/1080p is overkill) merely expose the limitations of the resolution of this now outdated analogue technique.........but it is a fact that the majority of movies out there(literally until the last 10years) will feature these characteristics.

Step in Panasonic.........it is the one brand that seems to have invested time into producing projectors that actually analyse the images that are being displayed.....rather than just exposing them to uniform sharpness.

It is a subtle , underrated attribute.......and even I only appreciate it now that I can see the difference between the 1000es and ae2000.
Kelvin1965S likes this.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 09-12-2014 at 11:42 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-13-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The Sony 4k is above my pay grade.

I had a Panny ae2000 at one time but did not find it as sharp as the Sony HW20 at the time. I'll advise the OP to stay with the LCoS camp, either a JVC or a Sony. At the end of the day, it's the pq that matters, not all the bells and whistles.

I also has a RS1, but that was quite a few years back; it was the 1st high end pj that wowed me, except for the 2002 vintage Panny ae100, my 1st go at home theater. I kept it for presentation purpose only.

Have fun shopping.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-14-2014, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
The Sony 4k is above my pay grade.

I had a Panny ae2000 at one time but did not find it as sharp as the Sony HW20 at the time. I'll advise the OP to stay with the LCoS camp, either a JVC or a Sony. At the end of the day, it's the pq that matters, not all the bells and whistles.

I also has a RS1, but that was quite a few years back; it was the 1st high end pj that wowed me, except for the 2002 vintage Panny ae100, my 1st go at home theater. I kept it for presentation purpose only.

Have fun shopping.

The Panaonics are not meant to be the sharpest kids on the block.......they even state it in their promotions:

Panasonic Detail Clarity Processor 3
Panasonic’s proprietary Detail Clarity Processor 3 has also taken a leap forward. The new engine now has an advanced image analysis capability which allows the projector to distinguish the type of image it's receiving with exceptional accuracy. This enables the Panasonic HD projector to optimize the processing applied to different parts of the image to bring out fine details and three dimensionality for natural, life-like images with excellent clarity.
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/2359...-hd-projector/

Properly adjusted, the Panasonic produces an impressive picture. Its resolution on real program material is excellent, even with the Smooth Screen feature that slightly softens the visibility of individual pixels when you inspect the image from close up. The Detail Clarity control, the sort of enhancement I rarely recommend, actually does increase the subjective resolution without adding visible artifacts or making the picture look artificially sharpened.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ojector-page-2
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page