AVS Forum banner

Panasonic ae8000 or JVC RS4910

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Ericglo 
#1 ·
Looking for my first projector for a 130" 2.35 screen in a dedicated theater used 75% movies 25% gaming. Trying to figure how if I should buy a panasonic ae8000 for $1650 to hold me off until 4k projectors are 4-5k or get a jvc 4910. If 4k projectors would get down to 4-5k in the next 2-3 years I feel paying for a jvc 4910 would be a waste. What are your thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
Your first projector? You likely won't know what you're missing until you finally do your first upgrade.

But you will be motivated to upgrade a lot sooner. The honeymoon is going to be shorter and the novelty of a large screen wear off much sooner. You'll like what you have, but you will understand what it's weaknesses are and you will know there are pjs out there that mitigate them or render those moot.
And at that point you'll be anxious to address them- so you'll bite on another compromise solution.

I could just be projecting though (no pun intended, honest) as that's how I started about 13 years ago.

The 4910 is a hell of a lot of projector for the money. More capabilities than you will be able to fully digest for several years. Don't know how good it is for games though. The Panny may be a less frustrating solution in that regard.

#3 ·
The JVC is close to $5k' No way I would spend that right now when the Wind of Changes going on. If you can get the Panny for that cheap I would hop on it. It is a great projector' Better at 3d and over all brightness. It cant touch the blacks of the JVC but is better black worth $3k more.

#4 ·
If you are waiting 2-3 years, it would be wise to get the JVC. I would definitely spend $4,000 on the JVC. The Panasonic is almost giving away money compared to the value of the JVC. Plus, why do everyone think the limited 4k we will have in 2 years is the end of evrrything? 90% of our content will be 1080p or less in 3 years.

#6 ·
believe its new retail price is $2000. they had a rebate for $350 good till 9/31/14 but on line 11 it said the rebate could be ended whenever they wanted. since they dropped the price the rebate is no longer good if someone buys it at the new sale price. but people at first thought the rebate was still good off the $2000 which unfortunately isn't the case.

#8 ·
Just need to know who to talk to. Give us a call. :)

#9 ·
There is a sale on the JVC now. The two projectors are in different leagues. The JVC 4910 is an amazing projector compared to the Panasonic. Check to see if you can get a B stock unit at a good price.
Sorry that we were not able to get together at CEDIA.

#10 ·
Wow, this is like saying I am going to wait until another better and more attractive women arrives so I can go home with her instead of the one I am with now.:D

I think you might be in for a heartache if you think 4k will be below $5k in two years. Three years possibly, but the way the market has slowed I wouldn't hold my breath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.