Need a $4000 projector with good 2D AND 3D performance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sportsmaniac13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Need a $4000 projector with good 2D AND 3D performance

I've recently been looking for a projector in the $2000-3000 range, and I'm pretty much settled on the Epson 5030UB as it seems to be the picture-quality king in this price range. Yet despite its great all-around performance, there are two things about it that I don't like: the lack of lens memory and the high input lag (I do plan on doing some single-player gaming on the projector). So I've been contemplating upping my budget to around the $4000 range in hope that I can remedy some of these issues.

I know someone will suggest the JVC X35 almost right away, but the thing that turns me off from that projector is its sub-par 3D performance due to its low lumen level. I only plan on watching 3D content around 20% of the time, but I want it to be enjoyable when I do. So that one doesn't seem like a good fit for me.

So other than the JVC, are there any other projectors in this price range that fit my criteria?
Sportsmaniac13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmaniac13 View Post
I've recently been looking for a projector in the $2000-3000 range, and I'm pretty much settled on the Epson 5030UB as it seems to be the picture-quality king in this price range. Yet despite its great all-around performance, there are two things about it that I don't like: the lack of lens memory and the high input lag (I do plan on doing some single-player gaming on the projector). So I've been contemplating upping my budget to around the $4000 range in hope that I can remedy some of these issues.

I know someone will suggest the JVC X35 almost right away, but the thing that turns me off from that projector is its sub-par 3D performance due to its low lumen level. I only plan on watching 3D content around 20% of the time, but I want it to be enjoyable when I do. So that one doesn't seem like a good fit for me.

So other than the JVC, are there any other projectors in this price range that fit my criteria?

The top contenders in your price range are the JVC RS4910 and the Sony HW55. I'd suggest you PM owners in the respective owners threads and get their opinions. Then call us at AV Science for a quote.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #3 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
If 3D is important then the Sony and Epson are probably better choices. I believe the refresh rate is faster in this order Epson, Sony then JVC.

I have a HW30 and ghosting occurs occasionally but it seems to improve once the unit has warmed up some.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toknowshita is offline  
post #4 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 965
it would also help if you could state your screen size/material.


personally, I've watched 3D on my x35, with the iris closed partway on low bulb and found it just fine. truth is, I didn't like it with the iris opened because the crosstalk seemed more noticeable with the increased brightness. but then, that's not exactly a plus for the x35 in regards to 3D, is it?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #5 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post
If 3D is important then the Sony and Epson are probably better choices. I believe the refresh rate is faster in this order Epson, Sony then JVC.

I have a HW30 and ghosting occurs occasionally but it seems to improve once the unit has warmed up some.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The refresh rate has nothing to do with the amount of cross talk. What matters is the panel itself being able to "reset" fast enough and the glasses being in sync with the panel. This has to do with the panels native response time in grey to grey or sometimes it's measured in black to black response time. DLP shines here because it has a native response time of 16 microseconds. The fastest LCD based chips are from Sony but the response time is still only 2.5 milliseconds. As you can see DLP is MUCH faster (over 150 times faster) and this is the reason we dont see ghosting on DLP projectors.
Toe likes this.

Last edited by Seegs108; 10-08-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #6 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Need a $4000 projector with good 2D AND 3D performance

I still contend that ghosting minimizes if my unit is warmed up. I understand DLP has faster response time.

DLP excels at 3D it's just for me that there are other shortcomings with that tech. Now you can't tell me that at this point that 3-chip DLP can't be executed at the same price point as LCOS and LCD. No reason that in 2014 3-chip DLP still commands the price it does.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Last edited by Toknowshita; 10-08-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Toknowshita is offline  
post #7 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Member
 
thx_golfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmaniac13 View Post
...there are two things about it that I don't like: the lack of lens memory and the high input lag...

So other than the JVC, are there any other projectors in this price range that fit my criteria?
I am also having this same dilemma, I don't think the Sony solves the lens memory issue. Personally I am banking on Panasonic coming out with a new unit in the next month. The AE8000 has been out for 2 years now, ready for the 9000.
thx_golfer is offline  
post #8 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post
I still contend that ghosting minimizes if my unit is warmed up. I understand DLP has faster response time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's definitely the case, but again, the refresh speed has nothing to do with it. Sony could have 480hz panels and it wouldn't effect the amount of ghosting if the native response time of the panel didn't get better as well.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #9 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
That's definitely the case, but again, the refresh speed has nothing to do with it. Sony could have 480hz panels and it wouldn't effect the amount of ghosting if the native response time of the panel didn't get better as well.

Though to say that it's only that variable that affects ghosting is simplistic. There are a number of factors that affect ghosting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toknowshita is offline  
post #10 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post
Though to say that it's only that variable that affects ghosting is simplistic. There are a number of factors that affect ghosting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feel free to list the others. I also mentioned the glasses being in sync makes a difference too.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #11 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx_golfer View Post
I am also having this same dilemma, I don't think the Sony solves the lens memory issue. Personally I am banking on Panasonic coming out with a new unit in the next month. The AE8000 has been out for 2 years now, ready for the 9000.

I think Panasonic is all but officially out of the HT projector market at this point.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toknowshita is offline  
post #12 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Toknowshita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,222
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Need a $4000 projector with good 2D AND 3D performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Feel free to list the others. I also mentioned the glasses being in sync makes a difference too.

So you're already saying there is more than one factor mr know it all.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toknowshita is offline  
post #13 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 4,512
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post
So you're already saying there is more than one factor mr know it all.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you read my original post I mentioned that's a factor too. I was just making sure people who read your post didn't confuse refresh rate with ghosting performance because that doesn't have anything to do with it. DLP refreshes as slow as 120hz for 3D and we still don't see ghosting, yet Epson refreshes at 480hz and ghosting is still a problem.

Last edited by Seegs108; 10-08-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #14 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sportsmaniac13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
it would also help if you could state your screen size/material.
I'm aiming for a screen between 125-135" at a 2.35:1 aspect ratio (hence why I want lens memory). As far as the material goes, that really just depends on which projector I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx_golfer View Post
I am also having this same dilemma, I don't think the Sony solves the lens memory issue. Personally I am banking on Panasonic coming out with a new unit in the next month. The AE8000 has been out for 2 years now, ready for the 9000.
Yeah, there's no way I'm paying $4000 for the Sony HW55ES if it doesn't have lens memory. I would get the Panasonic, but I've heard it just doesn't hold a candle to the Epson's picture quality, which is still my main priority. Hopefully Panasonic can surprise us with a new model, but with their exit from the Plasma business I find it unlikely.

It seems crazy to me that there's not one projector in this price range that fits all my criteria. I'm not being unrealistic with my expectations at this price range, am I?
Sportsmaniac13 is offline  
post #15 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,373
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx_golfer View Post
I am also having this same dilemma, I don't think the Sony solves the lens memory issue. Personally I am banking on Panasonic coming out with a new unit in the next month. The AE8000 has been out for 2 years now, ready for the 9000.
The 8000 first started shipping September 2012, so it has started on year three. I would not be holding my breath for a replacement.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #16 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Member
 
thx_golfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmaniac13 View Post
It seems crazy to me that there's not one projector in this price range that fits all my criteria. I'm not being unrealistic with my expectations at this price range, am I?
I could not agree more. I have been leaning towards the Panny because it does meet all the criteria. I am wondering where BenQ fits in this conversation. I am guessing the PQ is not up to par, but would love some input.
thx_golfer is offline  
post #17 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 07:02 PM
Member
 
thx_golfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The 8000 first started shipping September 2012, so it has started on year three. I would not be holding my breath for a replacement.
Not holding my breath, just looking for a miracle. The only other option, would be if the new Epson Laser is going to be priced at $4K. Again would need a miracle. Here's to hoping!!!
thx_golfer is offline  
post #18 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 965
I don't think you're being unrealistic. but I think maybe you're just not being the typical consumer.


I mean, the jvc provides all the features you want for the price. the sony provides the performance you want for the price, the Epson's also pretty close and is even cheaper. so it doesn't seem crazy to think for 4grand you could get a good looking projector with lens memory that's bright enough to fill a 135" screen.


BUT, the question is, is there enough market demand to support that projector? presumably you'd have to give up some black performance to get the extra brightness. you may have to give up some picture quality for the input lag. and for the typical buyer, those might be the exact reasons NOT to choose that projector.


still, you have to think if sony just had lens memory, it'd take a LOT of sales away from the jvc's.
asoofi1 and Black adder like this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #19 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Senior Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 22
@Sportsmaniac13 , I'll add my 2 cents regarding your gaming requirement:

The current model JVCs have input lag in the 120-130ms range, I hear the previous year models (including the X35) were closer to 80ms which may be more tolerable lag. I have the RS4910 and find it mostly unusable for gaming (single or multiplayer) except for slow paced games that do not require quick or well-timed input. I started with this projector and eventually added a DLP for low input lag (~30ms) and also as a lower cost projector to put casual TV hours on the unit and bulb; plus as I understand the 3D on DLP is generally superior to LCOS as well. Many people here including myself recommend considering a two projector combo (LCOS + DLP). I went with a Mitsubishi HC7900DW for ~$900 (common price these days but originally a $2500+ projector) and I have been completely satisfied with this combo (aside from the occasional JVC banding when frame interpolation is enabled). I see that Seegs108 has a 4910 in the classifieds for circa $3.5k and so you could replicate this combo for ~$4.5k.

For Sale: Navitar SSW065 short throw conversion lens

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
jjcook is offline  
post #20 of 107 Old 10-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Member
 
sooly1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
odd tme

I think we are at a cross roads with projectors at this point. What you see is what you get until 4k becomes standard. most companies have probably decided to develop the 4k units and abandon the current lines. get a benq w1070 for now, then get a 4k when available. spending 4k on a 1080p projector now is just throwing over 3g's out the window at this point in the game. You can be happy now knowing you are getting great pic quality AND save 3k towards a great 4k proj in a few years time. Side note, make sure your avr is compliant with all the 4k stuff (hdmi 2.0 and hdcp 2.2). And as usual this is just my humble opinion

sooly1 is offline  
post #21 of 107 Old 10-09-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,373
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
@Sportsmaniac13 , I'll add my 2 cents regarding your gaming requirement:

The current model JVCs have input lag in the 120-130ms range, I hear the previous year models (including the X35) were closer to 80ms which may be more tolerable lag. I have the RS4910 and find it mostly unusable for gaming (single or multiplayer) except for slow paced games that do not require quick or well-timed input. I started with this projector and eventually added a DLP for low input lag (~30ms) and also as a lower cost projector to put casual TV hours on the unit and bulb; plus as I understand the 3D on DLP is generally superior to LCOS as well. Many people here including myself recommend considering a two projector combo (LCOS + DLP). I went with a Mitsubishi HC7900DW for ~$900 (common price these days but originally a $2500+ projector) and I have been completely satisfied with this combo (aside from the occasional JVC banding when frame interpolation is enabled). I see that Seegs108 has a 4910 in the classifieds for circa $3.5k and so you could replicate this combo for ~$4.5k.
He might want to check with AVS for the RS4910 CEDIA special.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #22 of 107 Old 10-09-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
@Sportsmaniac13, I'll add my 2 cents regarding your gaming requirement:

The current model JVCs have input lag in the 120-130ms range, I hear the previous year models (including the X35) were closer to 80ms which may be more tolerable lag. I have the RS4910 and find it mostly unusable for gaming (single or multiplayer) except for slow paced games that do not require quick or well-timed input. I started with this projector and eventually added a DLP for low input lag (~30ms) and also as a lower cost projector to put casual TV hours on the unit and bulb; plus as I understand the 3D on DLP is generally superior to LCOS as well. Many people here including myself recommend considering a two projector combo (LCOS + DLP). I went with a Mitsubishi HC7900DW for ~$900 (common price these days but originally a $2500+ projector) and I have been completely satisfied with this combo (aside from the occasional JVC banding when frame interpolation is enabled). I see that Seegs108 has a 4910 in the classifieds for circa $3.5k and so you could replicate this combo for ~$4.5k.
the lag on the x35 is just ok for casual gaming. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for 'good' gamers. but i'm the kind of guy that gets .5 K/D ratios when i'm 'on fire' and much worse normally. haha. for me, I didn't notice much with the jvc. my f8500 has about 120ms and I noticed it immediately.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #23 of 107 Old 10-09-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sportsmaniac13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
Spoiler!
Am I really being that atypical, though? Obviously anyone's going to want great performance in a projector, and if 3D wasn't a huge deal then it wouldn't be included in every modern mid-to-high-end projector on the market. The only thing I can see being a little different than the average consumer is my wish for the inclusion of lens memory, but seeing as it's included in many projectors at this price point even this isn't too unusual of a request.

But you'd think there'd be at least one projector at this price point with all of the things I ask for, seeing as the Epson has most of them at $2500 minus lens memory. The JVC is probably the closest I've seen, but its 3D performance really gives me pause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
Spoiler!
Thanks for your insights on high input-lag gaming. That's the main thing that worries me about the Epson, even more so than the lack of lens memory (which would just be nice to have). Switching to Fast mode supposedly takes care of this issue (the input lag drops to a reasonable 37ms), but the quality degrades way more than I'm willing to accept. Rumors are that the firmware update coming next week takes care of this, and if that's true it may just put me over the edge in favor of getting the Epson.

As much as I would LOVE to have a two-projector system to solve my issues, it's just not in my budget at this point in time. Hell, I'm even reluctant to spend $4000 on one projector, feeling much more comfortable with the $2500 Epson. Maybe sometime down the road this solution would be more feasible, but right now it's just not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooly1 View Post
Spoiler!
I've never been a fan of this solution. Waiting for a new technology to come is a slippery slope, because there's always some big up-and-coming technological advancement on the horizon that people think is worth waiting for. At some point you just need to take the plunge and enjoy what you get. For me, I don't want to get the very-mediocre BenQ in hopes that a 4K projector will be released soon that fits all my criteria, because that may never happen. I'd rather purchase a great projector now and enjoy years of big screen viewing bliss. That, and I think 4K becoming mainstream is about three to four years away anyways, so that wait could be awhile.
IMDave likes this.

Last edited by Sportsmaniac13; 10-09-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Sportsmaniac13 is offline  
post #24 of 107 Old 10-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Member
 
lavocat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need a $4000 projector with good 2D AND 3D performance

Why not the Sony VW500ES ?
lavocat is offline  
post #25 of 107 Old 10-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Member
 
trmoore2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the Sony HW-ES55 in July. It has a fantastic picture. (haven't tried the 3D). Also the Carada 134" screen for $1000 is wonderful.
trmoore2 is offline  
post #26 of 107 Old 10-09-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmaniac13 View Post
Am I really being that atypical, though? Obviously anyone's going to want great performance in a projector, and if 3D wasn't a huge deal then it wouldn't be included in every modern mid-to-high-end projector on the market. The only thing I can see being a little different than the average consumer is my wish for the inclusion of lens memory, but seeing as it's included in many projectors at this price point even this isn't too unusual of a request.

But you'd think there'd be at least one projector at this price point with all of the things I ask for, seeing as the Epson has most of them at $2500 minus lens memory. The JVC is probably the closest I've seen, but its 3D performance really gives me pause.
I really don't know. you're looking for different things than I am, but I don't have a market report to back anything up, obviously.


personally, I chose the jvc because black levels were a lot more important to me than brightness. I didn't even know about lens memory before, but now that I do, I wouldn't want to go back.


on the surface it does seem like a sony hw55 with lens memory would be a tough projector to beat(or any other brand with similar features and specs for the money). but they still have to sell enough units to justify it, and maybe they aren't? I mean, we talk about the sony having good brightness, 3d, and input lag, but it's good compared to the jvc/Epson which have horrible lag, average brightness and 3d performance. anybody with a dlp would be laughing at the thought of use saying the sony had good 3d performance.


so somebody that really wants 3d performance, probably still wouldn't buy the sony. it's not the best of both, it's just a different compromise, and there's no guarantee that somebody who doesn't buy the jvc, because they want better lag, wouldn't go and buy the 1070 or something with under 20ms of lag.


ultimately, I still think the sony should have lens memory, and it would help make it more competitive against the jvc's, but I don't think it would make it the perfect projector in this price range.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #27 of 107 Old 10-09-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmaniac13 View Post


I've never been a fan of this solution. Waiting for a new technology to come is a slippery slope, because there's always some big up-and-coming technological advancement on the horizon that people think is worth waiting for. At some point you just need to take the plunge and enjoy what you get. For me, I don't want to get the very-mediocre BenQ in hopes that a 4K projector will be released soon that fits all my criteria, because that may never happen. I'd rather purchase a great projector now and enjoy years of big screen viewing bliss. That, and I think 4K becoming mainstream is about three to four years away anyways, so that wait could be awhile.
I'm with you on this one all the way. I'd rather have last year's high end model(with 'old' tech) than next years low end model(with new tech)


so specifically, I'd rather have something like the jvc or sony and be 'stuck' with it for a couple years than buy the 1070 right now, and already want to upgrade it.


I understand not jumping on a first gen 4k projector or something like that, but I would never buying a lower quality product knowing I'd want to replace it very quickly.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #28 of 107 Old 10-09-2014, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,964
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavocat View Post
Why not the Sony VW500ES ?
$10K (grey market or self import) is way more than $4K and the VW500es is not a US model and Sony USA will not provide warranty repairs if the projector needs it. US version is the VW600es that sells for near $15K.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #29 of 107 Old 10-09-2014, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Sportsmaniac13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavocat View Post
Why not the Sony VW500ES ?
Way, way, WAY out of my price range!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
I bought the Sony HW-ES55 in July. It has a fantastic picture. (haven't tried the 3D). Also the Carada 134" screen for $1000 is wonderful.
That one would be absolutely PERFECT....if it just had lens memory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
Spoiler!
As far as 3D performance goes, I don't need it to be amazing. Like I said, roughly 80% of what I watch will be in 2D (and that's being generous, it's probably higher). So in that regard, the Sony would still be a perfect fit for me....if it just had freaking lens memory!

I think at this point it's become clear that I'm not going to get everything on my wishlist with my projector purchase this year. So barring some unexpected announcement of my perfect projector before the year ends, I think I'll just end up getting the Epson 5030 or the Sony HW40ES and be stuck with manually adjusting the zoom and focus until I eventually upgrade to a high-end projector a few years down the line. Honestly I doubt I'll be too disappointed with my purchase once I have a 120" picture on my wall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
Spoiler!
I couldn't agree more!
Sportsmaniac13 is offline  
post #30 of 107 Old 10-10-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsmaniac13 View Post
As far as 3D performance goes, I don't need it to be amazing. Like I said, roughly 80% of what I watch will be in 2D (and that's being generous, it's probably higher). So in that regard, the Sony would still be a perfect fit for me....if it just had freaking lens memory!

yeah, but that's for you. i'm just saying that if somebody wanted great 3D, they'd likely go for a dlp anyway. so making the 3d go from good enough to good on the sony, may not generate as many sales as they might lose by having the blacks go from good to good enough... so many angles, it makes my head spin.

the simple question, the one I agree with you on, is why not include lens memory? there can't be any performance trade offs, charge a couple hundred bux more and give it a powered zoom/focus and lens memory!

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
4000 , 5030UB , Epson , Jvc
Gear in this thread - 5030UB by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off