Newer JVC or Sony PJs - How much better than 2008 Sony HW10? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-12-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Newer JVC or Sony PJs - How much better than 2008 Sony HW10?

I've been occupied with other things and haven't kept up with PJs like I used to back in the day.

I've had my VPL-HW10 a lot longer than I ever used to keep anything like this, but it can still look excellent with a BD.

The new(er) Sonys look like they still have the same chassis, and I'm not all that familiar with JVCs PJs from the last 5-6 years.

I know both the newer Sonys or JVCs are "better" - I'm curious if there has been significant progress or the improvements are largely incremental.

Any comments, especially from those who have upgraded from an HW10, would be much-appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 610
The HW10 was a good projector, but going to lets say an HW55, will gain you a fair amount of light, about 1.5 times as much. It will also gain you much better contrast, yes it will be very much noticeable and by far, so will the sharpness. In other words, it will be a big improvement. The same goes for a projector like the JVC RS4910, except it will completely blow the HW10 away in the contrast department. AVS is a Sony and JVC dealer, if we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #3 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I'd say wait 2 more years till 4k, wide color, all the HDMI/HDCP issue settle out before buying a replacement PJ
I've got a 2008 VW60 and doing same, replace bulb every 1100 hours.

Note: I also just got a 55" Vizio 4k P series for the family room, it so blows away the basement PJ on all levels, except screen size.......
So, I'm patiently waiting for PJ's to catch up with appropriate price points.

If in market to buy 1st PJ today, buy one that will tide you over for 2-3 years, if looking a replacement then there too many storms on the horizon to sink $$$ into just now.
post #4 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcl View Post
I've been occupied with other things and haven't kept up with PJs like I used to back in the day.

I've had my VPL-HW10 a lot longer than I ever used to keep anything like this, but it can still look excellent with a BD.

The new(er) Sonys look like they still have the same chassis, and I'm not all that familiar with JVCs PJs from the last 5-6 years.

I know both the newer Sonys or JVCs are "better" - I'm curious if there has been significant progress or the improvements are largely incremental.

Any comments, especially from those who have upgraded from an HW10, would be much-appreciated.

Thanks!
I would call AVScience for pricing on both the current Sony and JVC. If the room is dedicated, then consider the JVC RS4910. There is going to be a substantial difference in PQ vs this dated HW10.

life is short, don't cheat yourself waiting for 4K projectors to come down to the price you can get today's 1080P models. It will take years to know if the studios will update the current catalog to 4K.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-16-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the insight. I've convinced myself to follow both recommendations in the past: (stay the course, time the purchase, do the sensible thing) and (life is short - get what you want).

I think as I'm even older now than I was when I bought the HW10, I'll go for the HW55 (I do have a dedicated room but the ceiling isn't black and I have a not-too-much-off white sectional sofa in there) because I don't know if I'd be able to realize 100% of the JVCs very-dark room advantage (I don't want a black ceiling either). Occasional low-light viewing would also be better with the Sony.

Just hate to take a perfectly good low-hour projector and replace it with a "better" one that I'm the only one in the house that'll know is "better" (or notice is even different). But that's part of the fun of it I guess.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!
post #6 of 11 Old 11-16-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Thanks for the insight. I've convinced myself to follow both recommendations in the past: (stay the course, time the purchase, do the sensible thing) and (life is short - get what you want).

I think as I'm even older now than I was when I bought the HW10, I'll go for the HW55 (I do have a dedicated room but the ceiling isn't black and I have a not-too-much-off white sectional sofa in there) because I don't know if I'd be able to realize 100% of the JVCs very-dark room advantage (I don't want a black ceiling either). Occasional low-light viewing would also be better with the Sony.

Just hate to take a perfectly good low-hour projector and replace it with a "better" one that I'm the only one in the house that'll know is "better" (or notice is even different). But that's part of the fun of it I guess.

I don't think anyone will have a problem telling the difference between an HW10 and the HW55 or RS4910.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 11 Old 11-16-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Light covered surfaces affect ANSI contrast not on-off contrast. If you have complete light control in your room, then you will be able to take advantage of the JVCs higher on-off contrast despite the colour of walls/furniture - your ANSI contrast will suffer though. If you do not have complete light control, then you will not be able to take full advantage of the JVCs on-off contrast at which point the higher brightness of the Sony starts to make more sense.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-17-2014, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sujlemariecj View Post
I'm patiently waiting for PJ's to catch up with appropriate price points.
Which projectors and what price points? You can get so much quality for $4,000 today.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Went ahead with a VPL-HW55es so we'll see how it compares to my HW10 with 675 hours (which still looks really good to me - not perfect of course, but it can still look "wow" with the right material).

Thanks for all opinions and comments!
post #10 of 11 Old 11-20-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So... A quick comment on the new HW55es compared to my HW10 (Not even an hour of viewing - not many settings changed etc..., but set up similarly to one another, completely dark room):

Obviously based on my viewing, but documented with a few photos taken with my 5D3 with identical exposures etc... If anybody is interested I could post some.

Absolute black level:

Even with the iris OFF and lamp on high, the BL is lower (better) than the HW10 with the iris ON. By a pretty fair margin even.

With the 55s iris ON, its really really dark.

Brightness:

Clearly, its a pretty bright PJ. I'd say overkill for my 110" diag. 1.3 screen, but not if there is any bias lighting or other going on.

Perceived contrast:

Seems a lot better - didn't (and won't) break out the light meter, but it looks very satisfying. HW10 looks good, but this is clearly a good bit punchier.

RC:

Nice feature, but as everyone else says, it needs to be set pretty low in the resolution domain or it can get grainy looking. Haven't looked at "bad" source material yet, so can't comment. I also have a Darbee but it's not in-line yet - not sure there is a need on this PJ. I used it some on the HW10 though.

Color:

More natural to my eye. Esp. yellows that I've noticed so far. Skin looks great - more saturated but also quite natural - Haven't touched RCP at this point and not sure I'll need to.

Took less than 20 minutes to swap out PJs on the ceiling and get the 55 focused, aligned etc... Easy.

So - I'm happy I think. Just need to figure out what to do with my HW10 now...

Last edited by Iamjcl; 11-20-2014 at 07:38 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-09-2015, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
So... A quick comment on the new HW55es compared to my HW10 (Not even an hour of viewing - not many settings changed etc..., but set up similarly to one another, completely dark room):

Obviously based on my viewing, but documented with a few photos taken with my 5D3 with identical exposures etc... If anybody is interested I could post some.

Absolute black level:

Even with the iris OFF and lamp on high, the BL is lower (better) than the HW10 with the iris ON. By a pretty fair margin even.

With the 55s iris ON, its really really dark.

Brightness:

Clearly, its a pretty bright PJ. I'd say overkill for my 110" diag. 1.3 screen, but not if there is any bias lighting or other going on.

Perceived contrast:

Seems a lot better - didn't (and won't) break out the light meter, but it looks very satisfying. HW10 looks good, but this is clearly a good bit punchier.

RC:

Nice feature, but as everyone else says, it needs to be set pretty low in the resolution domain or it can get grainy looking. Haven't looked at "bad" source material yet, so can't comment. I also have a Darbee but it's not in-line yet - not sure there is a need on this PJ. I used it some on the HW10 though.

Color:

More natural to my eye. Esp. yellows that I've noticed so far. Skin looks great - more saturated but also quite natural - Haven't touched RCP at this point and not sure I'll need to.

Took less than 20 minutes to swap out PJs on the ceiling and get the 55 focused, aligned etc... Easy.

So - I'm happy I think. Just need to figure out what to do with my HW10 now...
Hi There!

I have the HW10 projector and was hoping you could pass on to me some of your calibration settings for me to try.

Cheers!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP