Projector Dilemma: out with the old in with something new but cheaper? LP850 vs $500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2014, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector Dilemma: out with the old in with something new but cheaper? LP850 vs $500

I have tried to research this topic but there are so many factors to consider I cannot figure out which way to go. First let me say that I am not experienced with projectors. I have and have only had 1 projector. I am a quick learner and have read up on what specs to consider, native resolution, etc.

The projector I have is a used inFocus LP850 from a university surplus store. I really enjoy it but the bulb is near the end and it leaks a bit of blue on the right side. The blue is very apparent in dark scenes. Retail on these was $4000 quite a while ago. I paid $150 albeit with the issues.

Here's my dilemma. I can buy a new lamp for $70-100 and have a bright but bluish old projector. OR I have a buyer for the projector at $100. I am a graduate student but I can scrape up $400-500 more for a total of $500-600 for something new. Will a projector in that price range be an upgrade? Should I just get a new bulb? The blue isn't a huge issue if this projector is still superior in specs. Any opinions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2014, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

I have attached an image to show the display currently. The blue is more apparent on camera than in person though I must say
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141118_020655_1416298095935.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	372089  
Old 11-18-2014, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

I also just realized I posted this to the high end forum which was not my intention. I apologize for my mistake. If it could be moved I would appreciate it.
Old Today, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Well I got a w1070 on cyber monday and I love it! Such an improvment. It's night and day better. I do have to say that I must be one of the uber senestive to rainbow people. I see them everywhere. Frankly it doesn't bother me and once I get into a show I forget about it so all in all I am very happy! I'd say thanks but....yeah